GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Purchasing 2014 GL450, Purchase price questions

Old 12-17-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camaro
Talking Purchasing 2014 GL450, Purchase price questions

Hi, I'm purchasing a GL450 next week,im in the Houston area, I called one dealer and a salesman said they were not doing any negotiation on the pricing of the vehicle. (There seemed to be zero enthusiasm from the salesman). Have any of you had any luck on negotiating the price of the vehicle for drive out price? Any feedback is appreciated!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by joeb82
they were not doing any negotiation on the pricing of the vehicle.
Does that mean they are only willing to sell at sticker? You should be able to get a modest discount on a GL450. You should also see if you can qualify for any of the fleet programs (USAA, Costco, etc).
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Hi, I'm purchasing a GL450 next week,im in the Houston area, I called one dealer and a salesman said they were not doing any negotiation on the pricing of the vehicle. (There seemed to be zero enthusiasm from the salesman). Have any of you had any luck on negotiating the price of the vehicle for drive out price? Any feedback is appreciated!
Its B.S, at minimum you should get $2500 off.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 PM

2014 GL350, 2000 E320, 1989 328GTB
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Does that mean they are only willing to sell at sticker? You should be able to get a modest discount on a GL450. You should also see if you can qualify for any of the fleet programs (USAA, Costco, etc).
My SA looked it up for Costco and said nothing available for GL, so I went with
my work fleet program.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 PM

BMW X6M
It really depends on where you are. I posted before that in NJ you can get $4K off MSRP on a 550 and I am often being told that if I were shopping for a 450 the deals would be even better as the supply is less restricted.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

of course your negotiating power will go up the closer we get to the end of the year.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Literally - "nationwide" in most areas GL's are already very-very limited in availability - and quite a number of dealers are sold out.

Happy hunting - but best served to hunt tmrw - tick tock, clock is running out
Old 12-18-2013, 02:53 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
of course your negotiating power will go up the closer we get to the end of the year.
Jim, is that true, or do dealers care more about fiscal year or the cut off between production years?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM

GL350
I've been working on a GL350 price and the dealer told me the GL350 was in very high demand but if i wanted a GL450 he could give $8,000 off, now i think that is actually $6,000 + USAA/2000. He also knew i didn't want a GL450 no matter the price (unless he was taking 20k off) so that might have been part of this game of "i wish i could help you".
Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WickUps
Jim, is that true, or do dealers care more about fiscal year or the cut off between production years?
I've personally experienced it to be true. I was in the dealership on the 30th looking to buy my first luxury SUV (either an ML-500 or a BMW X5) and they specifically asked if I would close the deal in the next 24 hours. If the dealership is on a fiscal year for taxes, then it might be a little different.

First, I think the best leverage is for a vehicle on that dealership's lot (not ordering, or doing a dealer to dealer transfer). They want to remove that car from inventory since there are advantages to getting inventory off the books at year end. Second, there can be manufacturer incentives to sell them by end of year. Say for example MFG M wants to sell more of a class of vehicle than MFG A and it's a close race. Third, there are usually incentives for the salesperson/dealership/customer that time out at end of month/quarter/year and they can become a strong advocate if the race is good. And fourth, which is probably not the case here, if the car has low demand and they can't sell it to someone else quickly, it tips to your favor.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM

GL350
Anybody seen this dealer game before? I can't figure this one out.

(sorry this is long)

I spent a little over 1week configuring the perfect GL350 for me asking detailed questions on every option and searching web and getting help here from you guys where the dealer couldn't do their job. I never wanted to talk price until i had the config i wanted. it configured out to something like $86,300 MSRP.

Once i had the config the dealer came out with a discount of:
SOME_DISCOUNT + USAA/$2000 (their discount was pretty good from research i found from other users on forums, it actually shocked me as their opening offer, they also said it was the same if i wanted a $63,000 GL350 or a $90,000 GL350).

I came back with i wanted a discount of
(SOME_DISCOUNT x 1.5) + USAA

Over a 1.5 week period of email, when i had time to deal with this, they said no,no, no, no, no to everything i offered, discount on maintenance, free accessories, i tried it all. Even along the way i ended up adding an addition $1,100 option to my order.

In the end I said I'd do the deal if they took off $500 more from their opening offer. So this means after 1.5 week of back and forth they only would have moved $500 from their opening price. Via email the sales manager said no and it was out his hands that his GM wouldn't let him do it on that car. So i requested a meeting with the GM be setup for me to discuss it.

The sales manager instead went to GM himself, they asked for my address to ensure i wasn't on a exporter list etc. Sales manager emailed me and said the offer stands and I, like anybody was free to call the GM anytime i wanted but he would tell me the same price not a penny more. He also said i was playing games with him and that i need to stop the madness and that the process to buy a Mercedes should be simple but i'm causing myself to have a horrible experience by trying to negotiate.

Of course i wasn't happy and replied that he should send me the GM name/number and ensure the GM was versed on our status so he wasn't blind-sided by reality of how customers are treated.

His response, which was 4hrs after his email saying his opening offer was still his best and the GM would back it was, that due to my timing i missed a good deal and that now his inventory had significantly decreased causing the demand and price to go up so he could not offer ANY discount outside of USSA/2000 and he hoped I would still buy the car because even above MSRP they were worth every penny.

This approach is mind blowing, this sales team had talked to me enough to know i wasn't going to fall for the "opps you missed it" trick and come running back.

The sales associate and I had a pretty good dialog during all of this and he seemed just as surprised and upset that after all that process he wasn't getting paid over $500 different from opening offer.

Anybody seen this one or something similar.

I still have not called the GM, as frankly it turned me off of Mercedes and made me question if i should buy something different. I need to search out some other dealers and see if my experience is any better. At least now i can go to another dealer with a full config ready and price and say "you only need to spend 30min on this order, hopefully this price works, here is a deposit".
Old 12-18-2013, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350

(sorry this is long)

I spent a little over 1week configuring the perfect GL350 for me asking detailed questions on every option and searching web and getting help here from you guys where the dealer couldn't do their job. I never wanted to talk price until i had the config i wanted. it configured out to something like $86,300 MSRP.

Once i had the config the dealer came out with a discount of:
SOME_DISCOUNT + USAA/$2000 (their discount was pretty good from research i found from other users on forums, it actually shocked me as their opening offer, they also said it was the same if i wanted a $63,000 GL350 or a $90,000 GL350).

I came back with i wanted a discount of
(SOME_DISCOUNT x 1.5) + USAA

Over a 1.5 week period of email, when i had time to deal with this, they said no,no, no, no, no to everything i offered, discount on maintenance, free accessories, i tried it all. Even along the way i ended up adding an addition $1,100 option to my order.

In the end I said I'd do the deal if they took off $500 more from their opening offer. So this means after 1.5 week of back and forth they only would have moved $500 from their opening price. Via email the sales manager said no and it was out his hands that his GM wouldn't let him do it on that car. So i requested a meeting with the GM be setup for me to discuss it.

The sales manager instead went to GM himself, they asked for my address to ensure i wasn't on a exporter list etc. Sales manager emailed me and said the offer stands and I, like anybody was free to call the GM anytime i wanted but he would tell me the same price not a penny more. He also said i was playing games with him and that i need to stop the madness and that the process to buy a Mercedes should be simple but i'm causing myself to have a horrible experience by trying to negotiate.

Of course i wasn't happy and replied that he should send me the GM name/number and ensure the GM was versed on our status so he wasn't blind-sided by reality of how customers are treated.

His response, which was 4hrs after his email saying his opening offer was still his best and the GM would back it was, that due to my timing i missed a good deal and that now his inventory had significantly decreased causing the demand and price to go up so he could not offer ANY discount outside of USSA/2000 and he hoped I would still buy the car because even above MSRP they were worth every penny.

This approach is mind blowing, this sales team had talked to me enough to know i wasn't going to fall for the "opps you missed it" trick and come running back.

The sales associate and I had a pretty good dialog during all of this and he seemed just as surprised and upset that after all that process he wasn't getting paid over $500 different from opening offer.

Anybody seen this one or something similar.

I still have not called the GM, as frankly it turned me off of Mercedes and made me question if i should buy something different. I need to search out some other dealers and see if my experience is any better. At least now i can go to another dealer with a full config ready and price and say "you only need to spend 30min on this order, hopefully this price works, here is a deposit".

Take your money elsewhere.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
The supply of GL350's is quite limited - and for what each dealer has allocated to them from GL350 production thru March - no dealer is expected "increased allocation" - meaning the numebr they have allocated coming into them is the number tehy expect to get - and no more than that (fortunately not less than that).

At this moment "almost all" US dealers GL350's are sold out on the ground - and on December and January incoming I would say are 90% pre-sold-customer units - and ballpark Feb-Mar allocated units show 80% roughly pre-sold as well.

At the same time - for ALL GL's - factory lockdown window is running 45+ days - meaning Feb 2nd decade orders probably lock down Friday.

Dealer web sites are not a good measure of on-the-ground inventory GL's automated dealer inventory systems - a business process thing - once MB invoiced a dealer for a unit - which means for sure it is the way by transport - the automated dealer inventory systems put it up on our websites - when the unit is physically "sold" - meaning papers signed and closed, then the automated systems take it out of inventory and take it down from the web. At some delaerships peak Dec/now can run 3-4 days behind in their process posting signed paperwork against automated inventory.

There is no "additional" incentive from MB on W166 - never has been since the start - and the only "additional incentive" as such is to meet monthly new Mercedes/units sales objectives for that month - which assumes there is a unsold unit on-the-ground and available to begin with.

Now - USAA incentives and are a good measure of "availability" - since that discount is calculated at the beginning of each month based of a "formula" so to speak based on unit availability, and calculated on-top of any Mercedes dealer and consumer incentives.

If you are going to "order" a GL350 - which is a great plan since you get exactly which features and options you value for you - then there are two objective: one to confirm your order is a confirmed and allocated production slot - which means dealer can give you factory PO# the following day that is your truck - and second, that your feature list really represents the best-your-value-features because "most" dealers/salespeople may or may not have full understanding - one example is this, MY14 GL's with Pano roof include rear vent window, non-pano does not (and pano includes cheapie pop-in 3rd roof screen), trailer hitch is a steal if for nothing else added rear collision protection, EZ-Entry 2nd row limitation on child seat fitting and or passenger head-rest comfort - 3rd row climate control function cooling versus heat and/or single zone control option, running boards not production addable, use of splitview to control rear seat entertainment front source, etc... a broader list in individual points in large part can be researched this forum, but frankly a "salesperson" with experience can be more valuable - especially in "family" useage situations.

For business situations - like Sec 179 depreciation - no dealer can bill witout VIN - however your business accountant may consult on income on throwing off cash as pre-paid expense - with depreciation capture your F15 fiscal.

You're right - yes, squabble on a GL can boil down to $100's of dollars - your decision is whether or not the dealership is presenting availability/allocated slot transparently - with PO# - and presenting financials to you professionally.

Keep the beat !
Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Sorry meant X166 - W166 is a bit more "flexible" - from broader availability standpoint - meaning a bit more flex there than GL's in 3rd week December !
Old 12-20-2013, 03:50 PM

2014 GL550
I bought the 550, custom ordered through costco-dealer in chicago land area. Costco deal is 1500 above invoice for all 2014 GL. Keep in mind that fleet program CAN BE combined to sweetened the deal. I use the AMA fleet program. My final price: $500 below invoice for a customed 550.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:36 PM

GL350
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "costco-dealer?"
Old 12-20-2013, 07:45 PM

2014 GL550
Not a problem, Dog Hauler. If you are a costco member, the costco auto program will direct you to a dealer that is costco affiliated. This dealer will have a price from a book/folder that is specific for costco member only. No other dealer in the area will have this.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350 , 2010 Accord V6, 40' Monaco Dynasty RV, 1971 VW Convertable
would you amplify as my dealer said that programs could not be combined

I have
Costco
USAA
and Delta Airlines

None of these are combinable I believe?

Just went to Costco site for a GL350 Invoice is $58,590 + options

Last edited by a330captain; 12-20-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:20 AM

2014 GL550
Originally Posted by a330captain
would you amplify as my dealer said that programs could not be combined

I have
Costco
USAA
and Delta Airlines

None of these are combinable I believe?

Just went to Costco site for a GL350 Invoice is $58,590 + options
I cannot speak for other fleet program. However, the AMA that I used is fleet incentive between AMA and Mb. There is nothing restricted in the small print of the AMA fleet program form. You should do the same thing, read the restriction, if there is any, on the fleet application form. If you know you are right, call either costco auto program or another costco dealer outside of your area to check. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quite the experience. I can't say I've seen that tactic, but I'm guessing Fab is onto something about allocation. The GL350's are in short supply, and allocations aren't abundant. I'm guessing your dealer got other customers who were interested and provided more profit to the dealer, so they essentially dropped you.

If there are other dealers in your area you could try them. You might want to reconsider how much of a discount you demand on these hard to find vehicles if you really want one.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic; 2014 GL350; 2015 GL63; 2016 GTS; 2021 G63
Anyone buy a 350 with the Costco discount? I was told the Costco deal is $2500 above invoice when we purchased the car. Someone above stated it is $1500 for a 550, but not sure if it is different for the 350...

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350 , 2010 Accord V6, 40' Monaco Dynasty RV, 1971 VW Convertable
Called Costco Today.
They are of no help. The closest dealer to me in NC is in NJ the second is in FL.

Thats for the GL350, maybe different for the 450,550
Old 12-21-2013, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Too bad some folks have to go through all of the horse@?$%#! I have bought 3 GL450's from the same dealer in the last 6 years. In today's world, the customer can come in with all the data: dealer cost & invoice, value of trade, info from other dealers, etc. its all available on the internet. My dealer knows that I come prepared with it all with respect to what i am buying and trading…..I know they have to make money and they know I want the vehicle BUT am willing to go ANYWHERE to get it. They know I have never paid sticker price on any of the 27 new cars I have purchased in the past 45 yrs and they know I pay cash……so……each time I have sat down to deal, they have come in with a higher trade value than I expected OR a discount off of the new vehicle that was an "eye catcher" and we settle immediately….. each time my vehicle has been an order, never "off the lot"….. They are a decent and honest dealership interested in selling cars and very much customer oriented. Interestingly…..THEY have told me that all MB dealers are not created equal….in their market, their approach has paid off…..in Houston or New York City, the market environment is certainly different and so is the buying experience.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:52 PM

2014 GL350, 2000 E320, 1989 328GTB
Originally Posted by blittle
Too bad some folks have to go through all of the horse@?$%#! I have bought 3 GL450's from the same dealer in the last 6 years. In today's world, the customer can come in with all the data: dealer cost & invoice, value of trade, info from other dealers, etc. its all available on the internet. My dealer knows that I come prepared with it all with respect to what i am buying and trading…..I know they have to make money and they know I want the vehicle BUT am willing to go ANYWHERE to get it. They know I have never paid sticker price on any of the 27 new cars I have purchased in the past 45 yrs and they know I pay cash……so……each time I have sat down to deal, they have come in with a higher trade value than I expected OR a discount off of the new vehicle that was an "eye catcher" and we settle immediately….. each time my vehicle has been an order, never "off the lot"….. They are a decent and honest dealership interested in selling cars and very much customer oriented. Interestingly…..THEY have told me that all MB dealers are not created equal….in their market, their approach has paid off…..in Houston or New York City, the market environment is certainly different and so is the buying experience.
That's because you have built a relationship with the dealership and you're a repeat customer with multiple purchases, i.e. they make money off of you each time. Not every one can make purchases of 27 new cars in their lifetime, or even more than 2-3 from the same dealer. Some people just
can't afford to go through cars every few years with the latest model, so
unfortunately I don't think dealers can do this just for everyone.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is value in a relationship that's for sure. I have bought 3 MB's from the same dealer and usually get within dollars of what I think is the best deal. However, the 2013 GL350 was different. They told me the car is at sticker, minus my fleet discount. Non-negotiable since they only had one GL350 allocation remaining. If I wanted to let the market settle, we could negotiate. I'm not sure the market has settled yet on these GL350's.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Purchasing 2014 GL450, Purchase price questions