S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Electric Seat Install

Old 02-13-2004, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
280SE
Electric Seat Install

Guys, I need a new interior for my W126 as the velour is old and ripped....
I have been offered a black leather interior (inc door cards and carpets) for a good price, but the seats are electric and my existing ones are manual.
How difficult is the install. Is it just a case of giving each seat a fused 12V feed, or is it more difficult than that? I have only seen digital pics of the interior, so I don't know if the switches are mounted by the squab, or if they are external to the seat...
I could just go for a manual set, but the manual ones I have been offered are in poorer condition. The interior with the electric seats is near mint.
Any advice appreciated....
Cheers

D
Old 02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
dunchayton,

I don't think it’s very feasible to convert to e/seats, imho. I took mine out in order to clean the carpets and the wiring harnesses were pretty substantial under there. As I recall there were 2 4-prong harnesses and 1 8-prong harness. To do the job, you will need to source new wood for the front doors to accept the power seat adjustment switches and source the switches! It’s not impossible, but I would not recommend it. I would wait for a better set of used manual seats.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:39 AM

ML 55 and 420 SEL
i would go for recaros...the high end ones..
i got some pics of my brothers in his car..
easy install and very classy
best seats u will ever buy..
about 1 G each thou..
and i know some guy who redid his interior with two tone leathertte for under 4g..
Old 02-17-2004, 04:16 AM

280SE
thanks for replies guys.
I won't be going for expensive seats as my car didn't cost me that much to buy. Its a 2nd car and the idea is to keep it looking and running nice, but to spend as little money as possible on it. (I do all the servicing/maintanance myself. In the UK 2nd user merc parts are fairly cheap).
The electric seats I have been offered are black, and my door cards are green, so I was intending on taking the black door cards, carpets, centre console and dash (mine is cracked) to give it a good colour match.
Thanks for the feedback on the wiring loom though. I'm pretty handy with electrics, but I'm not sure if I need the hassle... might just be better to wait for a better set of manual seats..

Cheers

Dunc
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I was going for Recaro but they replied that they do not have anything for the W126 at the time. My Mech said it could be done but the cost of a new harness and brackets would cost more than the car itself if you want both front changed.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:38 PM

1989 300SE
electric seats

I have all of the wiring diagrams for mercedes and all the manuals as well. If you would like, I can send you a wiring diagram and you can decide for yourself. Remember, some people do not like to do things for themself, so any labor involved is to complex.

Carla