E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2004 E500 transmission failure 7-speed

Old 05-08-2004, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
2004 E500 transmission failure 7-speed

My 2004 E500 that I had for 4 months needs a new transmission-7 speed.

I had initially posted this info on this board 2 weeks ago with the problem of the transmission being stuck on a gear and not shifting. My car has been at the dealership for over 2 weeks now with the service department trying to do different things to repair it. I was just informed yesterday that a new transmission is being ordered. They are not sure how muck longer the car will be down or if it will definately solve the problem. The dealership has so far been very professional and has provided me with a C240 loaner.

I am extremely bummed out because I loved the car, but it no longer feel like a new car to me. The new car "wow" factor is gone.

Does anyone know if this qualify under the protection of the Lemon Law? It is currently 18 days at the dealership with who knows how much longer.

Also, if this was your car, would you still keep it knowing that it has been extensively experimented and repaired?

I would really appreciate any opinions and info.....
Old 05-08-2004, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Sorry to hear of your transmission failure.... I would look at it this way, You bought a car with an obvious faulty transmission from the get-go and now the dealer is going to make it right. I would'nt feel bad about the fact that your car does'nt have the original. You are now going to have a car with a good one. The manufaturers are always improving their techniques putting things together at the factory while using upgraded parts and technology, perhaps your new tranny will be more superior to the old one...
I would definatly keep the car.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
sorry man!

lemon law depends on each individual state...try doing a search on google for your state laws on the lemon law. I think most have something where it has to be in the shop for x amount of time or x amount repairs for the same issue before it qualifies as a lemon problem.

That being said, I haven't heard much 7-G transmissions have issues so far after being released...maybe only one or two cases have been mentioned. possibly a bad one or two slipped out of the factory
Old 05-09-2004, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
You wont qualify, they are fixing the problem. But if it is in the shop for more than 30 days, it does.. I personally wouldnt go through the hassle, as they will just buy the car back at market value, less your legal fees and time. Be happy they are fixing it. I went through the same BS with my M3- SMG failure.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:42 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally posted by GDawgC220
sorry man!

That being said, I haven't heard much 7-G transmissions have issues so far after being released...maybe only one or two cases have been mentioned. possibly a bad one or two slipped out of the factory
Unfortunately the 7 speeds have has their share of problems; complete failures, shift quality issues etc. So much for first year intro's of sophisticated major components One of my colleuges had his new 04 Sl 500 suffer a complete failure too, car was in the shop for weeks and the entire trans was replaced. According to the shop foreman there have been about 10 cases of total failure repoted in the last 90 days just in his dealership.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
which transmission is the new SLK350 getting, the 7G of the existing 5 speed? I guess the E350 will get the same one, with all this de-contenting, I don't see the 7G making it to the base E, and that may be a good thing!

We were all talking about this when the 7G was first announced, transmissions are so complex, if you buy an E500 and plan to keep it past the warranty period, get the extended warranty.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I love my 7G..... so far so good and gas milage is improving...19.6 mpg.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
1) The SLK 350 is supposed to get the 7 G.

2) There is already a TSB out for the shift quality of the 7 G on W211's...check the tech section.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLK350 reviews starting to hit the auto mags - it wasn't clear which automatic it gets. most reviews of the engine are stellar however, but the E will not see it until 2006 model year.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
The SLK350 will get a choice between the new 6-speed transmission or the 7-G tronic transmission.

The SLk55 will only have the 7-G Tronic transmission available.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Don't feel bad about a tranny failure. After all you are getting a brand new, later production transmission, with any & all running improvements they have made, which simply bolts in. It will be brand new again. Its not like they have removed & repaired yours many times & did whatever the dealer personnel could. They are giving you brand new, factory fresh.

I had a rear end seal go on mine at 3000 miles spewing white smoke so thick in the face of cars behind me under quick acceleration, that I never saw a car coming out of it! Seals werent available in the USA, the new rear end they ordered from Baltimore had the wrong gear ratio, so they got me a brand new rear end from Germany. They replaced it and some exhaust components that had gear oil on them & the car is new again. I don't even think of or mention it whan asked if I've had any trouble with my car. It was a catatrophic failure of a big mechanical part which is rare, but happens. It was replaced with fresh, factory new.

Your car is now brand new. Don't sweat it, & don't feel gypped. They took care of it the RIGHT way. Drive on & enjoy!
Old 05-09-2004, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to wonder why, for the E350, in a car where they are de-contenting $50 things like lighted mirrors and climate controlled storage - they are putting in the 7G when the current 5 speed is just fine?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:49 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Ifr I start off slow and easy I can feel the first 2-3 shifts, but they are fairly soft, smooth and benign. The last shifts are easy and ensationless. I got the extended warranty just in case something went amiss.

What's the sign of it performing poorly?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally posted by nyca
I have to wonder why, for the E350, in a car where they are de-contenting $50 things like lighted mirrors and climate controlled storage - they are putting in the 7G when the current 5 speed is just fine?
I've heard many complaints about the current five speed, and its been in production for years. I feel they are slowly phasing out the five speed and going with newer technology (the six and 7 speed transmissions)...
Old 05-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

a buddy of mine
his mom's Jag had a major problem with the transmission.. I think within half a year...
they gave her a new Jag... no fuzz
Old 05-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

a buddy of mine
his mom's Jag had a major problem with the transmission.. I think within half a year...
they gave her a new Jag... no fuzz
Old 05-09-2004, 11:46 PM

2004 E500
The first sign that I had a problem with the transmission was traveling at 65MPH and I attempted to pass someone. As I stepped on the gas, the E500 downshifted, the tachometer red lined, and the engine shut off momentarily and came back on. It felt kind of weird as I easied off the gas and resumed to 65MPH. I noticed the tachometer is showing much higher RPM (from not upshifting).
I pulled over and stopped the car and suddenly the CHECK ENGINE light came on. The computer states no malfunction. I called the dealer and took the advice to turn off the engine thereby resetting the computer. I restarted it multiple times and after shifting the transmission into drive, the car would be stuck in 1st or 2nd gear or go into neutral by itself. The car slows down as I am still giving gas. Once the car has come to a complete stop, it would shift automatically into a high gear (5th or 6th?). Now when I give gas, the car would accelerate so slowly as if it had no power. I tried the manual mode and it had absolutely no response. This cycle repeats itself.
Needless to say, it was a dangerous and frustrating experience.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Almost a Member!

I think if you talk to the PR rep of Mercedes US and try to explain the entire situation and how you felt there is a major safety issue which you feel the need to address to the general public (i.e. Press) and I am sure MB's other major competitor would love to hear your story... given the potential bad publicity this may result, I am sure MB US would be glad to give you a brand new E500 for your trouble...

I think the dealership would want to help and as you mentioned, they were pretty helpful, however, I don't think they have the authorization and power to just exchange you a new benz.. especially when the dealer is privately owned.

trying to address the situation with MB US may be a better route to go.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
I've heard many complaints about the current five speed, and its been in production for years. I feel they are slowly phasing out the five speed and going with newer technology (the six and 7 speed transmissions)...
well, the road and track review of the E320 raved about the 5 speed.

but chrysler needs that 5 speed, their 4 speed autos stink to high heaven.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:10 AM

2004 E500
I have already contacted customer assistance at MBUSA weeks ago and filed a complaint. The response that I got was that it will be noted , and I was basically told "these things happen".

I NEVER received a follow up call (yet), and frankly, I don't think they give a ****. I will see what happens and post any updates.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally posted by TorontoW210
I think if you talk to the PR rep of Mercedes US and try to explain the entire situation and how you felt there is a major safety issue which you feel the need to address to the general public (i.e. Press) and I am sure MB's other major competitor would love to hear your story... given the potential bad publicity this may result, I am sure MB US would be glad to give you a brand new E500 for your trouble...

I think the dealership would want to help and as you mentioned, they were pretty helpful, however, I don't think they have the authorization and power to just exchange you a new benz.. especially when the dealer is privately owned.

trying to address the situation with MB US may be a better route to go.
A flat tire can be a "major saftey issue" also, do you deserve a new car for that too??? The dealership & MB is giving up a new transmission for a rare case (so far).... Their making it right, what else can anyone want???
Old 05-10-2004, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Absolutely. The car is fixed. Case Closed, no matter how big a stink you raise. Why let it poison your relationship with the car? The car had a transmission failure. You're going to have learn to to let it go. If you don't, you will never be happy with the car & your only way out will be to take a 20 grand loss & trade it in on something else. NOBODY is going to swap your otherwise perfect car for a new one.

As to why they are introducing 7 speeds when 5 speeds were good enough? With that reasoning, why introduce a 5 speed when 3 were good enough? And why an automatic when a 3 speed manual is far simpler and (were) more dependable?

Progress, the need for better gas milage, and the desire to be better than "Good Enough".. What you describe are CLASSIC signs of a transmission failure, with the engine limiter cutting in at EXACTLY the right moment to keep you from killing your engine too for not paying attention to the engine screaming.

"Good enough" almost killed Cadillac, "The Standard of the World."

It was a major component failure, yes. Don't let it kill your relationship with the car.... because that will be VERY costly to you. Remember, my car had a rear end failure too. And a week later some @hole made a U turn & gouged a few scratches about 10 inches long into my Left Rear Bumper cover. People couldn't believe I had the car in the body shop 2 days later to fill it & paint it. I told them "If it cost me a thousand dollars I would have fixed the cover". I want the car to be perfect. I park 10 miles away from everybody ALL the time.

I bet your car still turns every head when you drive by! I know mine does. Enjoy it & let it go.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 05-10-2004 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Almost a Member!

I think a failed transmission is a little more drastic than a defected tire.. even for a defected tire, look at Firestone..

Just like anything else in America, (I am actually Canadian) corporate america will avoid bad publicity and potential law suits when ever possible...
do you think MB USA will save a few tens of thousands and risk major mulit-million dollar lawsuit if and when a serious accident causing death occurs??

I know you guys are fanatics about benz, and would like to keep a good relation with MB and your brand loyalty despite all the recent lemons the manufacturer had been producing in recent years....

but just think what makes the Mercedes benz an icon
its safety, durability, and reliability. True, it had kept their innovative spirit intact but forgone their core competencies as aforementioned.

Without a strong voice as owners of our beloved benz to convey these to MB USA, they will probably continue their cost cutting measures and contract to second tier suppliers and sub par workmanship.. and tarnish the brand they had work so hard to build.

Think of a new E500 as punitive damage for all the crap you are going through...

I know Jaguar issued a new car to my friend.. why couldn't MB do the same for a dissatified owner who might be willing to go the extra mile to the press...

anyway, having said all that, since you are getting it fix, might as well wait and see.. but if there is ANY sign of problem even after the new Tranny, .. ***** to MB USA like there is no tomorrow and DEMAND a new E500 and don't let them bull**** about giving you ANOTHER tranny.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
My vote goes to Barry and Hell ona Yamaha - ha
The majority of subscribers on this forum are US based and the majority of those own the E500.

If there was a problem with the 7G transmission it would be the main topic of conversation.

The dealership is doing there best, they have supplied a loan vehicle, and no doubt would consider a request to perhaps allow you to have a different model to 'try'.

One of my previous Mercedes-Benz was in the workshop for an extended period and they kindly offered me a C, ML, E, and A class for as long as I wanted. (whilst they had my vehicle)

If Jaguar offer a better car, or service then good for them, they need a break.

John
Old 05-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Why is your benz in the shop for an extended period of time in the first place glojo?

I don't challenge the fact that most MB dealers provides excellent service, but even if they give you a service car, the fact is, it seems that there are tonnes of inherent problems with MB nowadays which the manufacturer need to seriously address...

I know there are those MB fanatics who doesn't care about the relaibility issue and are happily embrace the idea that if you do own a MB, the little problem and clitches here and there comes with the territory sort of like Ferrari owners

but then... what is Mercedes turning into??
Overpriced temperamental toys?

its embarassing to drive a $60K and break down in the middle of the road when its 4 months new!!

The point I am trying to make is that MB is being surpassed by many other manufacturer in terms of worksmanship such as Lexus, BMW and even Audi and Jaguar which had recently improve their quality control quite a bit.

Believe me, I am not here to trash MB .. I love mercedes, otherwise why am I wasting my time here and not just get myself a Lexus or something.

Mercedes are good cars, but I think they need to go back to their roots.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 E500 transmission failure 7-speed