E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Stop and Go Car Jerking

Old 06-18-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop and Go Car Jerking

I'm stuck in stop and go traffic this morning (worse than normal on the 101 in so.cal.) and my car acts very strange. It begins to jerk forward as if I was pumping the brake or the gas. I looked like I was playing around to music and head banging the jerks were so noticable.

I have the vibrating brakes that I am trying to get used to - after you press the brake pedal it vibrates on its way back up after you release. Anyway, I press the brake to come to a stop and the cars does its normal thing...then, traffic begins to move, so I go for the gas, but before I could touch the gas (foot completely off of brake and gas) the car begins to jerk forward, about 3 times...

Any thoughts?

I'm going to drop the car off for service on Monday. When I brought the car in last week for a detail and a couple of fixes (radio freeze, so they supposedly updated the software) I mentioned the vibrating brakes. The tech had me go to the car (without turning it on) and pump the brakes, it did the vibration - so he said all was good - I accepted that. But the new jerking issue can't be "all good". My car is 3 weeks old.

Thanks...
Old 06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
actually most cars have that, but i believe there is a fix. it only happens at low speeds, does it feel like a manual car, before your fully in 1st gear? if you do a search on it, youll get better info. GL
Old 06-18-2004, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
the car only does this on a very rare occasion, not every time, right?? I think most W211 people have experienced this at some point, but I'm not sure if there is a way to fix it, especially bcs it tough to make the car do it again for the dealer. Most people just live w/it.

GL, let us know if you find a sln.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Re: Stop and Go Car Jerking

Originally posted by benzace
I'm stuck in stop and go traffic this morning (worse than normal on the 101 in so.cal.) and my car acts very strange. It begins to jerk forward as if I was pumping the brake or the gas. Any thoughts?
Back in Feb '03 bulletin P-B-07.00/28 addressed this very issue. It updated the Engine Control Unit (ECU). Certainly doesn't apply to a '04 but I would suggest looking at the ECU anyway. Also, have them perform a transmission diagnosis and shift adaptation reset.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Audi A6, 2008 C350 W204, 2010 BMW F10, 2012 Porsche Carrera S 991, 2014 E350 W212
I had/have the same problem. actually, I posted a thread earlier. got many responses.. from people w/ the same problem. Some said it got fixed.. some said the dealer couldn't find the problem. I, too, took it to the dealer. They reprogrammed my ECU. That messed up my ECU modification and slowed down my car.(that's another problem). The problem actually went away.... FOR 2 days!!! and started again. I decided to take it to my tuner and get the ECU chipped again. After 10 mins. The programmer told me that the software was still in there. BUT the dealer made some changes to the original software, which he doesn't know what they do............ So, I just had him put everything back to the original setting. The jerking continues, but at least the car is fast again.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350 Sport
I had the same problem, and took it to the dealer. The invoice states that they replaced Mass Air Flow Sensor. The jerking seems to have gone away (at least hasn't happened in a couple of weeks). The car does seem to be a little slower, but i'm not sure if it really is or it's just my imagination.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by yxc145
I decided to take it to my tuner and get the ECU chipped again. After 10 mins. The programmer told me that the software was still in there. BUT the dealer made some changes to the original software, which he doesn't know what they do............ So, I just had him put everything back to the original setting. The jerking continues, but at least the car is fast again.
Hey yxc145 what tuner in LA? Do you have a powerchip?

Now I'm contemplating if I should even bring this up to the dealer if it's going to hurt the car's current performance.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:06 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Does this have to do with the driving style sensor system? Not sure that is the cortrct name but the system that re calculates shift duration etc based on drivers habits? Is it confused in the early drive ?

I have never had this surging in either the 03 or 04
Old 06-20-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Audi A6, 2008 C350 W204, 2010 BMW F10, 2012 Porsche Carrera S 991, 2014 E350 W212
Benzace

I got it at a place called EUROREV. their chip is pretty much the same as Powerchip. Because the guy that does the software used to work for Powerchip. It's cheaper than powerchip, but at the same time... I am a little worry about any warranty issue because they are a small shop. They state that they will warranty the chip for 3 years... BUT, what if anything happens to the car due to their chip? are they gonna replace or fix the car? I don't know...... But, so far I am happy w/ the performance.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:54 PM

Black/Black E : Pewter/Black G Wagen
It just happened to me today Should I be concern and take it to the dealer right away?? Any feedbacks or resolution for this particular problem ? some says it's normal but I'm not comfortable especially on a stop and go traffic.

does it feel like a manual car
exactly same experienced I had.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Almost a Member!

08 CLS 550
I had a similar jerking problem, not as bad as you are explaining but once in a while when leaving from a stop the car would lurch foward. i took it in and they said it needed a "torque converter lock up adaptation". it is better now. As far as the brakes vibrating, I have never felt that on my car. It doesn't sound right. There was a recall on the 2003 e class for brakes. If your dealer doesn't fix it I can give you the service rep name and MB dealer (orange county) that fixed numerous items on my E 500 including the jerking.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Almost a Member!

08 CLS 550
I had a similar problem, not as bad as you are describing. My service guy located the problem. It was the "torque converter lock up engaging as slow speeds" causing the jerks. it fixed the problem.