S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 S430 Not Starting

Old 10-05-2004, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430 Not Starting

I have a 2000 S430 that has developed an intermittent starting problem,
I can turn the key over to the start position and nothing happens, if I keep on turning the key to the off positon and back over to the start postion it will eventually catch, and fire right up and runs with no problems. Sometimes it will start on the first try and sometimes it might take ten times. I'm getting power to all the electrical systems in the car, it just acts like the starter is not getting the siginal to engage. I have talked to the Mercedes dealer and they telling me they have never heard of this type problem. This thing is driving me nuts, and any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance
Old 10-05-2004, 07:17 PM

300E
Does your car still has warranty?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:53 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes S55
Similiar problem with old CLK...

I had a similiar problem back when I had my CLK 430. It makes a single click sound then I'd have to turn it off and back on....Sometimes, like you said, for ten times. Eventually it would start. Sometimes it would start on the first try. The dealer had to replace the ignition module. They said there was a circuit broken somewhere in the ignition. Hope that helps.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
Exclamation

I might be having a problem with my 2000 S500. A few weeks ago I started the car, drove it a few feet and the battery charge light came on. Turned out the v-belt snapped. So I had that replaced. Recently while I'm idled in park or maybe even in 1st gear my car tends to shake at times. Once it was night and I had the dome light on, the car started shaking and my lights began to dim on me. Driving passed first gear was a little nerve wrecking at times but once I'm in second and on it seems fine. Does anyone know if I need the belt readjusted or could there be a problem somewhere else? Possibly the alternator? Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
If your lights flicker like that, it could be the battery or alternator.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:49 PM

2000 S500
It's the starter. Call Nelson at MBAuto. He knows exactly what needs to be replaced.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by jarco
I can turn the key over to the start position and nothing happens, if I keep on turning the key to the off positon and back over to the start postion it will eventually catch, and fire right up and runs with no problems. Sometimes it will start on the first try and sometimes it might take ten times. I'm getting power to all the electrical systems in the car, it just acts like the starter is not getting the siginal to engage. I have talked to the Mercedes dealer and they telling me they have never heard of this type problem. This thing is driving me nuts, and any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance
Sorry to hear about your troubles. If the car doesn't start, there should be error codes in the system. From what it sounds like is that the ignition module (EIS) is faulty and may need to be replaced.
Before attempting anything, go and buy a couple of batteries for the smart key first to make sure that it's not just weak batteries.

Good luck,

Wolfman
Old 10-08-2004, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Just a bad starter....

I'm used to that type of problem.....something my old Chevy Suburban used to do. I lived with the starter problem for years until I finally got sick of it and swapped out the starter. $29.99 with exchange at AutoZone, lifetime warranty. Took 10 minutes with a 9/16" wrench. I suspect your MB starter might cost a tad bit more.

Ahh the simple automotive life. I kind of miss it, I just don't miss riding on bench seats, leaf springs, drum brakes, and burning enough fuel to drink OPEC dry. No offense, I love my new Benz, but from some of the horror stories you read about here with mechanical, electrical, and software nightmares, I bet my old 'Burban is probably WAY more reliable than the average new Mercedes. The Suburban has endured decades of abuse with no special treatment, has been driven up to the door mirrors in A RIVER, plows snow every winter, and tows a 9,000 lb trailer, and just refuses to die. I think it was the best $1500 I ever spent when I bought it used.

KB

Last edited by cdiken; 10-08-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:25 PM

CLK320
alternator problem ?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I had a very reliable Chevy too. Although I didn't have much problems with MB yet, I won't buy it anymore.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:10 AM

2000 s430
Hey Lance I too am sorry to hear about your problems since I have the exact one with my 2000 S430, Have you had any luck repairing it? Do you have any other issues, I have numerous electrical issues that seem like they all tie together. I tokk it into the shop once, and they told me it was the TCM transmission control module... I have sporatic window issues that would seem like a DCM door contol module , get errors on my dash, and then once started usually they all go away, I also get a left signal light message which comes on and goes away, and i can swear i can hear the sunroof doing something, just a faint little click all the time.... Let me know if youve had any luck, or if anyone else has any ideas, just replaced the battery.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
you just bumped a 7 year old thread, so its unlikely the other posters still have the car or even visit this forum.

Changing the battery should be your first step, as all kinds of errors pop up on w220 with weak batteries, even if they are still strong enough to start the car
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 AM

2002 S430
Originally Posted by jarco

Thanks,
Lance
Lance. I have a 2002 S430 doing the same thing. Just had the gear shifter assembly replaced for $1100.00 and still doing the same thing thing. Did you h
Resolve your problem.
Thanks, Mark
Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 PM

2000 S500 (AMG package)
I just solved a starting issue with my vehicle

Let's first establish not everyone's starting issue will be the same.

Lets try to troubleshoot the first obvious possibilities. I'm hoping you already checked your battery to make sure it is holding at least 12.01 volts of charge.

the instrument cluster or dash should light up when you open the car door to let you know the car has power.

Ignition Test
1. you put the key in the ignition and you you attempt to start the car.

2.was the key able to turn to towards the start position or was it stuck in the position the key was inserted.

A) If the car has electricity and the key was not able to turn .... it could be your EIS (electrical ignition system). a problem only a mercedes dealer or mercedes certified shop can repair.

B) If the was able to turn on the car but not start it . your EIS is not teh problem.

How i solved my car not starting

1. Sometimes it took me 7 crank attempts to get my car started and i assumed my starter was going. then one day after coming home and parking the car it was making no attempts to start at all .

2. I was able to bypass the issue and start the car by putting spark to the starter relay (so i knew it was not the starter). i also noticed that my car alarm wasn't going off anymore.

3. I checked all the fuses and they all appeared to be good (use a tester and check both connectors) . Upon further extensive research i discovered another STRONG possibility would be the TCM (Transmission Control Module).

4.This module is located in the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. (you might have to pull out the fuse panel close to the side wall to get it it) .

5. Its a black box and it also doubles as the EGS . (My Part# A 220 545 50 32) . this computer is very important as it controls the transmission functions and most modules have to sync with the main computer ,PCM.

Conclusion
I removed my TCM and it was filled with water that had been accumulating over the years . and it affected a few functions on my car gradually. the inside board was wet and mucky with a slime that built up over the years.

The reason why this happened is because there is a air duct area near the fuse panel that tends to build up with dirt and gets clogged then water catches in there and leaks into the fuse box and sometimes even the foot well of your car's interior . which can ruin the SAM (another important module).

i purchased the part from a junk yard. plugged it in and the car started up right away .this was just a test .To PROPERLY reset the ECU and make sure the car would shift properly i disconnected one of the battery terminals and reconnected. Also leaving batter terminal off the terminal off for about 30 minutes before reconnecting it.

there goes my alarm .....(its working again)

turned my key and the car right started up.

Alternatively

1. i've heard that another issue could be the Neutral safety Switch (located somewhere under the shifter assembly)

2. Also i've heard that the parking brake switch may play a part in a vehicle not being able to start.

both of mine checked out fine . but i would rather try the others before anything else.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 S430 Not Starting-tcm.jpg