Sponsored by:

Tracking a GT S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Black series
Tracking a GT S

Anyone track a GT S hard yet? Can you get enough negative camber out of the stock suspension? Does it have any overheating issues or any other issues that should be addressed when tracking(other than brake fluid and pads)? Im having issues with my 2015 Corvette Zo6(overheating, fuel starvation, ceramic brake failure) and I'm looking to replace it with something different than what most would track. I love my C63 black Series and Mercedes customer service so I've been leaning toward GT S.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 359 Likes on 205 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
It's worth noting that these cars are not really meant to be raced. Time Trialing is one thing - racing quite another. And even then with time trialing one must be careful. I come from a racing background - SCCA National License for 10 years racing open wheelers - so I have some knowledge. I imagine that for a person who wanted to get more serious, flushing the brake lines and putting in special high temp brake fluid would be a nice prophylactic (at least emotionally) but with all the people who have had them on tracks - none complained about fuel starvation. What an embarrassment that would be for AMG.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:13 PM

C63 Black series
Originally Posted by California John
It's worth noting that these cars are not really meant to be raced. Time Trialing is one thing - racing quite another. And even then with time trialing one must be careful. I come from a racing background - SCCA National License for 10 years racing open wheelers - so I have some knowledge. I imagine that for a person who wanted to get more serious, flushing the brake lines and putting in special high temp brake fluid would be a nice prophylactic (at least emotionally) but with all the people who have had them on tracks - none complained about fuel starvation. What an embarrassment that would be for AMG.
Thank you. Not really looking to race yet. I will in the next year or so. Waiting on the Radical series here in Texas to get larger. I was wondering if the car will hold up for 20-25 minutes of HPDE's for weekend fun
Old 05-30-2015, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Zz

We ran the gts pretty much all at cota with the large crew of attendees.

No apparent problems.

But we were not turned loose to 110% either.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:07 AM

AMG's
2.2 degrees camber in front. No overheating issues.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:48 AM

C63 Black series
thanks. I decided to go with a different car after all. Was a bad choice. C7zo6. Over heats non stop, power steering overheats and ceramic brakes suck. Got t boned on track with it so I'm just sticking to it as my track beater

Last edited by Catchmeifyoucan; 10-11-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:02 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucan
thanks. I decided to go with a different car after all. Was a bad choice. C7zo6. Over heats non stop, power steering overheats and ceramic brakes suck. Got t boned on track with it so I'm just sticking to it as my track beater
Care to elaborate on the over heating, how many laps etc?
Old 10-12-2015, 04:30 AM

C63 Black series
Originally Posted by Zod
Care to elaborate on the over heating, how many laps etc?
Oil cooling issue. Temps reach over 310 degrees in a few laps when driving hard. I can put it in to reduced power mode in less than 3 laps. That's including the warm up lap. I don't know if all ceramic rotors are this bad but I trashed mine after a couple weekends. Just not cost effective to run. The electric steering overheats and can be completely dangerous on track. First time was mid sweeper at cota through 16-17. Luckily I had plenty of run off room. Now I can notice a little resistance on the turns before as a warning for what's to come. Oh, fuel starvation and shifter pops out of gear when the car is under high lateral g's. GM claimed to have came up with a fix for both but neither worked on my car. No aftermarket company has fixed the problems yet and it's been 11 months now since its release. I'm instructing a student with a GTS on November 1st at cota with edge addicts. Looking forward to it
Old 10-12-2015, 04:42 PM

AMG GTs
Oil cooling issue. Temps reach over 310 degrees in a few laps when driving hard. I can put it in to reduced power mode in less than 3 laps. That's including the warm up lap. I don't know if all ceramic rotors are this bad but I trashed mine after a couple weekends. Just not cost effective to run. The electric steering overheats and can be completely dangerous on track. First time was mid sweeper at cota through 16-17. Luckily I had plenty of run off room. Now I can notice a little resistance on the turns before as a warning for what's to come. Oh, fuel starvation and shifter pops out of gear when the car is under high lateral g's. GM claimed to have came up with a fix for both but neither worked on my car. No aftermarket company has fixed the problems yet and it's been 11 months now since its release. I'm instructing a student with a GTS on November 1st at cota with edge addicts. Looking forward to it
That's too bad. That is why the cars I track are my GT3 and my Vipers. Both of these cars can run lap after lap with no real issues. I love my BMW M cars and AMG's, but they are awesome street cars, not track cars. I am sad to say, im very disappointed in the Z06. You are by no meams the first to have these issues.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:14 PM

C63 Black series
Originally Posted by Brindle101
That's too bad. That is why the cars I track are my GT3 and my Vipers. Both of these cars can run lap after lap with no real issues. I love my BMW M cars and AMG's, but they are awesome street cars, not track cars. I am sad to say, im very disappointed in the Z06. You are by no meams the first to have these issues.
At this point I think I'm over street cars. I really view cars as race cars or collector cars. Not much in between to me. Which do you like better, gt3 or viper? I drove the gt3 on track. Felt very disconnected from the car but still managed top time with the stock tires. Felt too easy to drive. I like to have to tame a car
Old 10-13-2015, 04:52 PM

AMG GTs
At this point I think I'm over street cars. I really view cars as race cars or collector cars. Not much in between to me. Which do you like better, gt3 or viper? I drove the gt3 on track. Felt very disconnected from the car but still managed top time with the stock tires. Felt too easy to drive. I like to have to tame a car

I'm surprised you felt disconnected in the GT3. Was it a 991 gen? The 991 feels great in my opinion.. My favorite on the track is my Gen V viper TA. It really is a fabulous car, even though Vipers are often maligned. The power and throttle response are very good. It is still a manual, and i do love a manual. The car is VERY planted and pulls a lot of G's. Very good brakes, no fade. It really is a true race car. If i had one complaint, i would say the steering feel is a little better and communicative on the GT3. They really are both awesome, and very reliable with proper maintenance.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:48 AM

C63 Black series
Originally Posted by Brindle101
I'm surprised you felt disconnected in the GT3. Was it a 991 gen? The 991 feels great in my opinion.. My favorite on the track is my Gen V viper TA. It really is a fabulous car, even though Vipers are often maligned. The power and throttle response are very good. It is still a manual, and i do love a manual. The car is VERY planted and pulls a lot of G's. Very good brakes, no fade. It really is a true race car. If i had one complaint, i would say the steering feel is a little better and communicative on the GT3. They really are both awesome, and very reliable with proper maintenance.
Disconnection was in the steering for me. Turn in was light and too effortless. Also, no feel from the butt. At least not like the 997 RS or 996 gt3. Felt like anyone can hop in and drive it hard. Also, tire blew out when I hit an apex. Those big wheels just make it fragile to me compared to previous generations. Just my opinion. Would love to drive a viper. Just waiting for the opportunity
Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Interesting discussion. I have been following the Z06 and was really close to ordering one.
It is obvious now that the platform has overheating issues and there are a few blown motors as well. I was planning to tune the car and there is no way I would do this on the Z with these issues.
I was hoping GM was just working in the background to fix it kinda like MB did with the 5.5TT on the CLS where in the 13 model, they changed the cooling. However it does not seem to be the case as the new CTS-V with better cooling has problems as well.
People have been running at COTA and Laguna and have not reported any issues with the GTS. Not sure how hard they pushed the car.
I am sure Randy pushed the car and it got voted Best Driver's car while the Z had some ECU issues...
Seems like I am back on the MB camp and waiting for the base GT to save 30K
Old 10-16-2015, 09:09 AM

C63 Black series
Originally Posted by emericr
Interesting discussion. I have been following the Z06 and was really close to ordering one.
It is obvious now that the platform has overheating issues and there are a few blown motors as well. I was planning to tune the car and there is no way I would do this on the Z with these issues.
I was hoping GM was just working in the background to fix it kinda like MB did with the 5.5TT on the CLS where in the 13 model, they changed the cooling. However it does not seem to be the case as the new CTS-V with better cooling has problems as well.
People have been running at COTA and Laguna and have not reported any issues with the GTS. Not sure how hard they pushed the car.
I am sure Randy pushed the car and it got voted Best Driver's car while the Z had some ECU issues...
Seems like I am back on the MB camp and waiting for the base GT to save 30K
Cota is the c7 zo6 slayer. They drop every run session there. That's my home track. Someone supposedly came out with a fix. The oil cooler is inches away from two cats. He custom made some heat shields sleeve similar to those on a turbos. He's claiming the oil temps dropped by 50 degrees and will be in production within 3 weeks. I know a guy from HG Motorsports who I was with at gold rush when I was instructing at cota. He said the GTS felt just like the sls and was going to need quite a bit of suspension work to be trackable. That was the small track at cota. What are your thoughts on the suspension? I know it was hell just trying to get enough negative camber out of my c63 black series
Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I saw the post about the heat shields and the hole and tubing he made. I am sure the aftermarket will eventually find a solution but I am not that inclined to be drilling holes under the car and making custom air tubing to run to the cool on a $100K car. The car was advertised as the best track Z06 and it's a failure right now.
I disagree with the statement that the AMG GT is like the SLS. Randy ran it stock and was within 1/2 a second off the SLS BS at Laguna. Chris Harris also stated the car was track ready and not tail happy like the SLS. he only had praises for the car and his benchmark was the GT3.
Last time I was at Laguna, i did not have the chance to drive the GTS as it was not out yet but had a good chat with one of the master german instructor. he said the GT was made to be the best track ready car AMG came out with and I tend to believe it after what Randy did at Laguna. It came with the same time as a Turbo S and GTR Nismo. Unreal for only 503hp.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html Enjoy the read.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
As a newb and '14 C63 owner (now really considering a GTS), I recently took the AMG academy basic course at Lime Rock. We got to track the GTS a bunch, of course at reduced speeds since we were in a pack and following an instructor (and some pokie folks slowed us down some times), but it was great. We also got to track the SL63, and new C63s. Probably got 15 laps in the GTS. It was outstanding. Far outshone the other vehicles. They were tracking the GTS in rapid succession, but again, they were never being run at 100%, or probably even 90%. No issues of overheating were observed (unlike the new CLA45 which we used on the autocross, and it needed a cool down every 3 laps or so). But I pushed it and it drove fantastically. Of course, at 1.5 miles Lime Rock is also a lot shorter than COTA or Laguna.