Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody tried the front license plate bracket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
GTS AMG
Has anybody tried the front license plate bracket?

The bracket that's supplied is unreal. It covers the intake vent and seems impossible to attach to the front bumper. Not to mention covering the front sensors.

I have no plans on installing a front lic plate. However, if I was ticketed for a missing front plate, I would like to be able to get the ticket signed off.

I fount a lic plate bracket from my C 300 that fits perfectly in the center of the bumper. I should be able to attach it with double sided 3M tape long enough to get the ticket signed off. It actually doesn't look that bad either.

I'm curious if everybody has the same bracket I was given. Several of the service reps tried to figure it out and no clear answer on the supplied bracket. Parts confirmed that this is the necessary part #.

Just a little heads up if you need to temporarily install you front lic plate.

I'll try and add a picture later.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
Same issue here. Dealer did not install it. No directions or mounting hardware. Bracket does not seem to fit anywhere no matter how you position it. MBUSA was no help saying just take it to another dealer. Front plate required here although I don't plan a permanent install. I might just put the plate in the windshield for trips unless a better idea pops up.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by Patric
MBUSA was no help saying just take it to another dealer.

WOW

Which MB dealer in the Seattle area are you dealing with

MBUSA --- I would be outraged if they told me this

Thank-You
D.B.

`
Old 08-04-2015, 02:02 PM

GTS AMG
Originally Posted by Patric
Same issue here. Dealer did not install it. No directions or mounting hardware. Bracket does not seem to fit anywhere no matter how you position it. MBUSA was no help saying just take it to another dealer. Front plate required here although I don't plan a permanent install. I might just put the plate in the windshield for trips unless a better idea pops up.

Hi Patric,

I just finished the install. Here's the pics. No drilling or holes in your bumper. Easily reversed in minutes. It's only for signing off front lic plate tickets. My dealer couldn't figure it out either.

This bracket is from a C 300 or C 250 your dealer should be able to provide you with one.

Displaying the plate in the front window will get you ticketed in some states. Not to mention if you were rear ended and that sharp lic plate came sailing into your face. Just a thought!

I
Attached Thumbnails Has anybody tried the front license plate bracket?-img_0003.jpg   Has anybody tried the front license plate bracket?-img_0005.jpg   Has anybody tried the front license plate bracket?-img_0006.jpg  

Last edited by CAracer; 08-04-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spl
Old 08-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Never even thought about it as in Cali I would rather just got a non fix it ticket and pay the fine vs the check box ticket where I then have to show up and get it signed off.

Anyways:

Front plates detract from all cars but moreso with the GTS with its beautiful nose and front end. Whats ironic is when I was shopping for both my Ferraris (458 and FF) I never saw one used car no matter what state it was registered in, with a front plate.

PS: I get it, its the law and some states scrutinize more than others.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:31 PM

GTS AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55
Never even thought about it as in Cali I would rather just got a non fix it ticket and pay the fine vs the check box ticket where I then have to show up and get it signed off.

Anyways:

Front plates detract from all cars but moreso with the GTS with its beautiful nose and front end. Whats ironic is when I was shopping for both my Ferraris (458 and FF) I never saw one used car no matter what state it was registered in, with a front plate.

PS: I get it, its the law and some states scrutinize more than others.
Hi Vic,

I'm from Huntington Beach and have never had a front lic plate on any of my cars. I moved to Texas two years ago and still don't display a front plate. However, this is a quick fix if I do get a ticket. I agree with you, the front end of the GTS is very attractive, maybe more so than my 430 was. A front plate just kills the look.

You never know what type of police officer you may encounter. I think most of them get it and won't bother ticketing a car that isn't driven as a daily driver. But, then again you may run into the one that tickets his grandmother.

I think in your case, you do drive your car more than others. Which is good...
Old 08-04-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
I think a lot of the ticket potential has to do with where you spend most of your time. The heavy traffic metropolitan areas are usually safe but the small town cops out in the country like to sit on one end of town or the other looking for revenue. And while some cops are really car guys, others go strictly by the book.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by CAracer
Hi Vic,

I'm from Huntington Beach and have never had a front lic plate on any of my cars. I moved to Texas two years ago and still don't display a front plate. However, this is a quick fix if I do get a ticket. I agree with you, the front end of the GTS is very attractive, maybe more so than my 430 was. A front plate just kills the look.

You never know what type of police officer you may encounter. I think most of them get it and won't bother ticketing a car that isn't driven as a daily driver. But, then again you may run into the one that tickets his grandmother.

I think in your case, you do drive your car more than others. Which is good...

Agree 100%.... In Cali, for the most part, the no front plate ticket is a fruit of the poisonous tree IE speeding, illegal lane change, etc (moving vio).
Old 08-06-2015, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amg Gts
The bracket that's supplied is unreal. It covers the intake vent and seems impossible to attach to the front bumper. Not to mention covering the front sensors.

I have no plans on installing a front lic plate. However, if I was ticketed for a missing front plate, I would like to be able to get the ticket signed off.

I fount a lic plate bracket from my C 300 that fits perfectly in the center of the bumper. I should be able to attach it with double sided 3M tape long enough to get the ticket signed off. It actually doesn't look that bad either.

I'm curious if everybody has the same bracket I was given. Several of the service reps tried to figure it out and no clear answer on the supplied bracket. Parts confirmed that this is the necessary part #.

Just a little heads up if you need to temporarily install you front lic plate.

I'll try and add a picture later.
My dealer did not even offer the braket for the plate. They did not mention anything to me and when i told them about it they pretended like they did not hear me. I was in shock but at the same time i will never put a front license plate. I rather take my chances.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard

It could be worse
The following users liked this post:
Shawn Robbins (02-18-2020)
Old 08-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E63 S AMG
As an owner of an E63 I can tell you that you should not put a license plate on the front of this car. I live in NJ and it's ticketable but still I would not ruin the appearance of this car. Your chances of getting a ticket are low.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
s class
crazy front license plate mount!

I am looking at purchasing a GTS, found a 2017 and asked for some pics. Have you ever seen one who screwed on a front license bracket onto the front bumper like this?

Old 06-17-2020, 09:58 PM

s class
Any thoughts on what you would do with this car, remove bracket, repair and paint bumper or keep looking?
Old 06-17-2020, 10:07 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Remove the painted factory bracket

Call Stonsho and order their bracket. Then repair the bumper
Old 06-17-2020, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Vic55
Agree 100%.... In Cali, for the most part, the no front plate ticket is a fruit of the poisonous tree IE speeding, illegal lane change, etc (moving vio).
ts also a guarantee of a 300.00 parking ticket on a city street in a place like San Francisco...could not believe it when I got it! And, because its a parking violation there is no 'fix it' option.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Hi Patric,

I just finished the install. Here's the pics. No drilling or holes in your bumper. Easily reversed in minutes. It's only for signing off front lic plate tickets. My dealer couldn't figure it out either.

This bracket is from a C 300 or C 250 your dealer should be able to provide you with one.

Displaying the plate in the front window will get you ticketed in some states. Not to mention if you were rear ended and that sharp lic plate came sailing into your face. Just a thought!

I
I love the idea of this but unclear whats behind the plate. Can you share a little DIY?
Old 06-18-2020, 10:52 AM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by Skilly
ts also a guarantee of a 300.00 parking ticket on a city street in a place like San Francisco...could not believe it when I got it! And, because its a parking violation there is no 'fix it' option.
California (like many other states) has privatized parking violation enforcement, including the issuance of citations. And the private companies writing the tickets get a piece of the action for all of the violations their ticket writers can find in addition to the parking violation. So there is an incentive to ticket cars without front plates if another parking violation is found. But I don't think a $300 fine is lawful. San Francisco has to defer to the state's laws and fines on front license plates.

(I have represented a couple of private companies that have contracts throughout California for enforcing the parking laws.)
Old 06-18-2020, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
California (like many other states) has privatized parking violation enforcement, including the issuance of citations. And the private companies writing the tickets get a piece of the action for all of the violations their ticket writers can find in addition to the parking violation. So there is an incentive to ticket cars without front plates if another parking violation is found. But I don't think a $300 fine is lawful. San Francisco has to defer to the state's laws and fines on front license plates.

(I have represented a couple of private companies that have contracts throughout California for enforcing the parking laws.)
Love to hear more about this.

I was lawfully parked (sans the plate violation apparently) on Embarcadero within the total allowable stay and a well fed meter, and the ticket was exclusive to no front plate - TBH, it was about 3 years ago so I don't remember the amount but do recall the feeling when I read how substantial it was and not related to an expired meter etc. Certainly felt like a cash grab and in a high traffic tourist area too (was showing the area to a visiting friend).
Old 06-18-2020, 11:12 AM

s class
I was scanning through the GT picture thread and seems like the vast majority of cars have no front license plate or bracket. If I purchase the 2017 above, I will just remove and bracket and repair bumper and go license-less like I do with my other cars. I have had a warning but never a ticket or fine for not having a front plate.