Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GT/S - Depreciation similar to other AMG's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S63 AMG
Question AMG GT/S - Depreciation similar to other AMG's?

I'm curious to know (and its purely speculation) if anyone has a perspective on if the AMG GT/S will depreciate similar to other AMG models.

For example, I've owned a 2010 C63, 2009 ML63, and currently a 2013 S63. Within three years of each of these vehicles had dropped over 50% of its initial MSRP/Invoice/Sold value.

I ask because I'm interested in already making the switch back to a sports car and I'm watching the 2016's slowly drop in asking price online, even through the dealerships. I'm not saying I'd want to wait until 2019 to scoop up a 2016 for $70k, but I'd like to shoot for around the $90-100k mark for a decently optioned one and can most certainly wait it out.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
Don't see why the depreciation will be any different for the GTS from other AMG models. It's a continuous production car; when a dealer sells one, there's another available to take its place. And, already, model variations are proliferating....GT, GTS, GTR, roadster, ad infinitum.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by RalphSmithIII
I'm curious to know (and its purely speculation) if anyone has a perspective on if the AMG GT/S will depreciate similar to other AMG models.

For example, I've owned a 2010 C63, 2009 ML63, and currently a 2013 S63. Within three years of each of these vehicles had dropped over 50% of its initial MSRP/Invoice/Sold value.

I ask because I'm interested in already making the switch back to a sports car and I'm watching the 2016's slowly drop in asking price online, even through the dealerships. I'm not saying I'd want to wait until 2019 to scoop up a 2016 for $70k, but I'd like to shoot for around the $90-100k mark for a decently optioned one and can most certainly wait it out.
Check out Cars.com there are currently 75 used GT-S's listed with asking prices starting as low as $109K for a well equipped 9,600 mile car. My guess is that you could pick up that car for right around $100k. The new and used market are pretty flooded right now. It's a buyers market but I can only see prices dropping even further in the near future now that the 2017 base model GT is out and as Rsalco mentioned the proliferation of many new trim levels that will be hitting the dealers between now and August/Sept. 2017. A good indicator that prices are poised to tank is if you go to a dealership and ask them to work out some lease numbers on a new GT-S the poor residual vales make it almost impossible to lease one at a fair price.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...hell there is one listed on there for $111,000 and its got cc brakes.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GTS, 2017 S550 Cabriolet, 2015 911Turbo S 2016Q5, 2008 Z06
The GTS depreciates in like fashion with nearly every expensive sports(y) car. The SLS nosedived until it went out of production. My 2015 Turbo S has lost over 40k the first year and my 2014 Continental GT V8 over 70k to date. It is the price you pay for the latest and greatest You cannot put a judgement on it. It is just the way it is. Nearly all cars are the same, it's just that when you go over 100k for example, a first year loss of 20 % appears larger than losing a similar percentage on a Hyundai.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by cec69
The GTS depreciates in like fashion with nearly every expensive sports(y) car. The SLS nosedived until it went out of production. My 2015 Turbo S has lost over 40k the first year and my 2014 Continental GT V8 over 70k to date. It is the price you pay for the latest and greatest You cannot put a judgement on it. It is just the way it is. Nearly all cars are the same, it's just that when you go over 100k for example, a first year loss of 20 % appears larger than losing a similar percentage on a Hyundai.
I agree. The real value is the driving.....

And it's just unnatural to write a check for 6 figures on a 3-4 year old car
Old 11-17-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S63 AMG
You all make very valid points. I suppose at the end of the day, it's not really a collectors car, or anything particularly special (not trying to knock it, of course). I guess its just that in my area (Tampa, FL), I pretty much never see them being driven. Our big dealership (MB of Tampa) is a large AMG dealer and I think they have 3-5 sitting on their lot and in the showroom.

I guess the next to figure out is what one should REALLY look for when buying one, specifically in the options. Ceramic brakes sounds super nice but is it worth it? I've heard the upgraded stereo is meh (my B&O upgraded in my S63 is "decent") but I'd no way spend that kind of jack for it considering you'd probably get a better sound going aftermarket. Panoramic versus not, carbon interior versus not. Edition 1 versus not? The one thing I'd hate to do in line a car up, be super excited about it just to find out I bought one with some really nice option that wasn't included when I could of waited/shopped for one with, if you know what I'm getting at.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:50 AM

It's a nice ride...just find one equipped as you like, new or used, and buy it. It's worth is the driving satisfaction it gives you, not a cold, hard, depreciated value. IMO. But then, I never buy these things, I 'borrow' them.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RalphSmithIII
You all make very valid points. I suppose at the end of the day, it's not really a collectors car, or anything particularly special (not trying to knock it, of course). I guess its just that in my area (Tampa, FL), I pretty much never see them being driven. Our big dealership (MB of Tampa) is a large AMG dealer and I think they have 3-5 sitting on their lot and in the showroom.

I guess the next to figure out is what one should REALLY look for when buying one, specifically in the options. Ceramic brakes sounds super nice but is it worth it? I've heard the upgraded stereo is meh (my B&O upgraded in my S63 is "decent") but I'd no way spend that kind of jack for it considering you'd probably get a better sound going aftermarket. Panoramic versus not, carbon interior versus not. Edition 1 versus not? The one thing I'd hate to do in line a car up, be super excited about it just to find out I bought one with some really nice option that wasn't included when I could of waited/shopped for one with, if you know what I'm getting at.
If you are looking for one that might be more collectible try to get your hands on a GT-R or a Black Series when they produce one in a couple years.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
RE: Ceramic Breaks.. I will not buy another AMG without them, huge difference. Unlike on other cars where you mostly notice the difference in track days, the AMG's (both GTs and E63s) are another car with. I am speaking based on my experience based on driving and owning the exact cars (just model year difference) with and without.
In the daily driver situation, my other Kraut car brand does not benefit as much from CCB.
I personally can't understand why one would spend $ upgrading a sound system that fades the engine's sound and not in CCBs.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Astolfo
RE: Ceramic Breaks.. I will not buy another AMG without them, huge difference. Unlike on other cars where you mostly notice the difference in track days, the AMG's (both GTs and E63s) are another car with. I am speaking based on my experience based on driving and owning the exact cars (just model year difference) with and without.
In the daily driver situation, my other Kraut car brand does not benefit as much from CCB.
I personally can't understand why one would spend $ upgrading a sound system that fades the engine's sound and not in CCBs.
And I have a hard time understanding how the cars are worth more than the house....

But the exhaust is intoxicating....
Old 11-20-2016, 06:22 PM

?
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
cars are worth more than the house....
Care are intoxicating to me....
Old 11-20-2016, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Would you recommend CCB for a daily?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:11 PM

?
Originally Posted by Sanch

Yes any day of the week, but drive the same car with and without it and see what you think. I do not like mushy or non linear breaks.

I am no expert but owning the same car with and without I can totally experience the difference between the 2. I asked the dealer to give me a quote to upgrade my 2015 wagon.

With my Porsche this is not the case until I take car to the track. Then in a 1/2hr session the difference is nothing short of amazing... in the AMG GTs and E63s wagon CCBs are a must IMHO.

Plus no much break dust...

I bought the additional warranty that covers wear and tear for $1500, one rotor and it will pay itself.

Last edited by Astolfo; 11-20-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Yes any day of the week, but drive the same car with and without it and see what you think. I do not like mushy or non linear breaks.

I am no expert but owning the same car with and without I can totally experience the difference between the 2. I asked the dealer to give me a quote to upgrade my 2015 wagon.

With my Porsche this is not the case until I take car to the track. Then in a 1/2hr session the difference is nothing short of amazing... in the AMG GTs and E63s wagon CCBs are a must IMHO.

Plus no much break dust...

I bought the additional warranty that covers wear and tear for $1500, one rotor and it will pay itself.
That's good to know, I may have to opt for this for my next car for sure...

The break dust is a killer so that is definitely a bonus.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
You will only find differences on the track.
CCBs will squeak more than the regular brakes and the break dust argument is difficult to rationalize because you could get your car cleaned twice a month for 5 years and still have money in your pocket compared to the cost of the upgrade.
It's another story if you want bragging rights
Old 11-21-2016, 10:23 AM

?
I beg to disagree, neither of my AMGs with CCBs squeak at all; and I notice a huge difference on how the cars break, not so much on the Porsche when talking about just daily driving. With Porsche I would agree that the most difference is in the track.

Some will notice the difference between CCB and steel, some will not. Just like the sound system (or anything else for that matter), some can hear the difference some not; or French Pinot Noir and Oregon Pinot Noir. Subtle, consistent and predictable or in your face and full of adventure and discovery.

No bragging or second thoughts about getting the CCBs or not. Much happier with the CCBs in the AMG's.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree 100%. AMG has developed a proprietary compound for their CC rotors, at least that is what AMG engineers claim over on the AMG PL site. They are definitely quieter on the street than any other brand, even when cold/cool and they work just as well on the track.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
And I have a hard time understanding how the cars are worth more than the house....

But the exhaust is intoxicating....

They're not worth more than the house; they cost more than the house.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sanch
If you ever plan on tracking your car Yes! The AMG CC's have no real down side, they work when cool and don't make any noise like some other brands of CC's. My GT-S Edition 1 was not available with CC and I regretted it. I was getting ready to do the conversion but ended up getting rid of the car. My previous couple of AMG's had CC's and they were awesome.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by jrcart
I agree 100%. AMG has developed a proprietary compound for their CC rotors, at least that is what AMG engineers claim over on the AMG PL site. They are definitely quieter on the street than any other brand, even when cold/cool and they work just as well on the track.

My comparison is the CCB's on my Z06 track car. The 'Vette brakes, Brembo, are great on the track, mainly in terms of reduced wear, no a big difference in street use other than no dust. The GTS CCB's are very powerful, to the point of being too touchy on the street. I haven't tracked the car so cannot at this point comment about that. However, I'm sure replacement rotor and pad costs will be substantially dearer than the 'Vette.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rsalco
They're not worth more than the house; they cost more than the house.
I was thinking the same thing...I guess you must get a lot of house for your money in Atlanta lol. Even if I added up retail cost of my CLK BS, C BS and SLS BS they still didn't add up to the cost of my home, and I live in a fairly modest home for the city I live in.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Back on topic, the GT's depreciation is far from being the worse.
http://www3.forbes.com/business/12-n...1&kwp_1=483013
Old 01-13-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
my house still costs more than my combined car collection, however I do not use 70% of my house and I have a tiny 2-car garage. My dream house is pretty small, has a 6-car garage and windows in the house that view into the garage. what the hell add a glass floor to the second story that looks into the garage.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Some recent GTS auction sales which drives the wholesale market. The GTS has lost its lustre as expected. I have spoken to several GM's in the Cali market and they have shared their thoughts. Whats funny is they also will blow out the GT model even though its newer. The entire model line is soft now.

Attached Thumbnails AMG GT/S - Depreciation similar to other AMG's?-amg-gts.png  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG GT/S - Depreciation similar to other AMG's?