Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a manufacturer buyback GTS. How much does it affect the value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2015 S550
Thinking about buying a manufacturer buyback GTS. How much does it affect the value?

I have been searching many websites and speaking to several dealers about different GTS models. I have noticed there are several 2016 that are reasonably priced but are manufactured buybacks. The reason ranges from a persistent oil leak, to a check engine light, to customers dissatisfaction. Or at least that's what they're telling me. According to the paperwork and the dealers, whatever was wrong with the car was fixed and it's covered under warranty. How much do you feel this affects the value of the vehicle and what percentage of value does it lose?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Almost every maker has buyback cars, fleet, demo, press, etc...just depends on your comfort level. They are under warranty.

For me I like new car smell...
Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 PM

2015 S550
There are two GTS is right now for sale on the East Coast with under a thousand miles for under 109 k. These are fairly optioned GTS cars. Just wanted to know especially from someone in the automotive field how this is looked at in terms of value.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Originally Posted by dpm7471
There are two GTS is right now for sale on the East Coast with under a thousand miles for under 109 k. These are fairly optioned GTS cars. Just wanted to know especially from someone in the automotive field how this is looked at in terms of value.
What does CarFax show? Fleet vehicle? Buyback? Lemon? Flood vehicle?

I've bought enough cars trust me...but how was it titled and how is it titled now? Just dealer inventory? Let's give more details if you want answers.

That price is not great to be honest. If this is a MB 'company car', I would not touch unless it's $100k or less.

Title is key...then get to condition and price.

Last edited by texex91; 01-09-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
If the title is good, I'd go for it, especially if you already have a relationship with your Mercedes Service Department. I bought a used Edition 1 knowing most seem to have some teething issues. So far, my local Mercedes dealer has fixed any warranty issues I've seen with a smile.

(Getting parts from Germany sometimes takes weeks, so I hope this isn't your daily driver)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I'd personally stay away from it, if it was a buyback that means it was one of the early GT-S's that was plagued with problems. There were a bunch of guys on here(including me) and the PL that had problem after problem after problem both big and small. Some of the problems got addressed while some seemed to never get properly diagnosed or fixed. FYI the sister dealership to mine let a used GT-S with 11,000 miles go for under $100K. I am not sure how it was equipped or if it was a buyback or what the deal was with it all I know is it sold for under $100K so if you are thinking about buying this one keep that price in mind during your negotiating.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Totally agree with Cart on this. Too much risk here.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
The only way a factory buy back works is if you intend to keep the car for practically forever. The resale on that car with the branded title is about as ugly as it gets. Then you compound it with the known issues that some GTS owners have and add the segment the car is in (sports car) and you have a car that only its mother would love
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Vic55
The only way a factory buy back works is if you intend to keep the car for practically forever. The resale on that car with the branded title is about as ugly as it gets. Then you compound it with the known issues that some GTS owners have and add the segment the car is in (sports car) and you have a car that only its mother would love
Or a lease, some manufacturers will lease it even though it's considered used. Therefore you would have a manufacturers warranty or even CPO warranty for the life of the lease and then you can just walk away in 2-3 years. I am not sure if MB offers lease programs on used. I know they will lease demos and brass hat cars with up to 7500 miles but not sure if this situation would apply.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 AM

2015 S550
Thanks for the info guys...I'm staying away from the buybacks. Much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Mercedes very rarely "buysback cars. Its in there best interest to keep a customer
happy so for the most part they offer other things that are less complicated they
a buy back.. They will offer trade assist or lease payments than early trade in..

If a car gets taken back in one of these situations it wouldn't affect the title at all.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GTS 2015 Corvette Z06 2001 Ferrari 360 Spyder 2007 Mercedes SL550
The advice given to the OP on the thread is questionable. There were two statements I would take exception to:
1) "if it was a buyback that means it was one of the early GT-S's that was plagued with problem"
I have a buyback that that went in just one time for a problem (transmission). It was repaired 1,500 miles ago and I personally put the last 1,000 miles on with zero issues. Probably better than most AMG GTSs judging by some of the posts here. The full service history is available for these cars (probably not if you are buying at auction) so you can assess each car individually.
2) "The resale on that car with the branded title is about as ugly as it gets." The auction results allow you to assess the discount for a buyback (they are listed in the results as "Factory"). Two very low mile cars sold in January for $115 and $119 with a "below average" 10,000 mile car selling for $94. So these are action wholesale prices before a 1% buyer’s fee, shipping to the dealer, and often paying a buyer to purchase the car at auction or a mark-up to a wholesaler just to get up to dealer cost. Then add retail dealer mark-up.

FYI I have a dealer car for sale with a $142k window sticker for $104,900 with 2,600 miles which I personally put on 1,000 miles without issue. (I lowered the price during December when prices were weak). I have the full service and buyback history. The most important things really are to make sure you like a car as radical as the GTS and like a dual clutch trans. Also, for people who finance, many banks will not lend on these cars since they syndicate the loans. For the right buyer, buybacks offer a very nice discount on a car on which you can perform your due diligence.
Jeff
Old 01-31-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various AMG Models
Stay away - My 1st one was a buyback, meaning they bought it back...
Old 01-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by 360 Spyder
The advice given to the OP on the thread is questionable. There were two statements I would take exception to:
1) "if it was a buyback that means it was one of the early GT-S's that was plagued with problem"
I have a buyback that that went in just one time for a problem (transmission). It was repaired 1,500 miles ago and I personally put the last 1,000 miles on with zero issues. Probably better than most AMG GTSs judging by some of the posts here. The full service history is available for these cars (probably not if you are buying at auction) so you can assess each car individually.
2) "The resale on that car with the branded title is about as ugly as it gets." The auction results allow you to assess the discount for a buyback (they are listed in the results as "Factory"). Two very low mile cars sold in January for $115 and $119 with a "below average" 10,000 mile car selling for $94. So these are action wholesale prices before a 1% buyer’s fee, shipping to the dealer, and often paying a buyer to purchase the car at auction or a mark-up to a wholesaler just to get up to dealer cost. Then add retail dealer mark-up.

FYI I have a dealer car for sale with a $142k window sticker for $104,900 with 2,600 miles which I personally put on 1,000 miles without issue. (I lowered the price during December when prices were weak). I have the full service and buyback history. The most important things really are to make sure you like a car as radical as the GTS and like a dual clutch trans. Also, for people who finance, many banks will not lend on these cars since they syndicate the loans. For the right buyer, buybacks offer a very nice discount on a car on which you can perform your due diligence.
Jeff

Exactly as I said above (in bold) LOL-- the resale is clearly hurt. I didnt mention how an auction would handle it. And then add, to your point, you can not finance it with normal banks and normal pricing due to the titling issue which further hurts resale because it limits the dealers buying pool. Then to add to that, its not a 20k car and not everyone wants to fork over 100k in cash for a car that then will continue to have a steeper depreciation curve because of its history. If one thinks the auction's hit on that car is the first and final they are mistaken; the buyback car will continue to plummet at a faster level than a non BB car. Its good buy for someone who plans to have a keeper.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:09 PM

2016 Mercedes AMG GTS 2015 Corvette Z06 2001 Ferrari 360 Spyder 2007 Mercedes SL550
"Exactly as I said above (in bold) LOL-- the resale is clearly hurt. I didnt mention how an auction would handle it. And then add, to your point, you can not finance it with normal banks and normal pricing due to the titling issue which further hurts resale because it limits the dealers buying pool. Then to add to that, its not a 20k car and not everyone wants to fork over 100k in cash for a car that then will continue to have a steeper depreciation curve because of its history. If one thinks the auction's hit on that car is the first and final they are mistaken; the buyback car will continue to plummet at a faster level than a non BB car. Its good buy for someone who plans to have a keeper."

I won't even ask for a source for your draconian statements because I know they don't exist. The dealers who specialize in these cars (not me) will tell you the discount goes down with age. Further, in Florida, the buyback disappears from the title after something like three years and 36,000 miles. Not exactly a factor which would cause it to "continue to plummet at a faster level". A lot of buyers for this kind of car pay cash and recognize that the car is unaffected, only the paperwork. Looking for an SUV for my wife and would be thrilled to find a buyback. Just like my beautiful Z06. Bought back over an ABS light issue which has never recurred.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 PM
Administrator

"Exactly as I said above (in bold) LOL-- the resale is clearly hurt. I didnt mention how an auction would handle it. And then add, to your point, you can not finance it with normal banks and normal pricing due to the titling issue which further hurts resale because it limits the dealers buying pool. Then to add to that, its not a 20k car and not everyone wants to fork over 100k in cash for a car that then will continue to have a steeper depreciation curve because of its history. If one thinks the auction's hit on that car is the first and final they are mistaken; the buyback car will continue to plummet at a faster level than a non BB car. Its good buy for someone who plans to have a keeper."

I won't even ask for a source for your draconian statements because I know they don't exist. The dealers who specialize in these cars (not me) will tell you the discount goes down with age. Further, in Florida, the buyback disappears from the title after something like three years and 36,000 miles. Not exactly a factor which would cause it to "continue to plummet at a faster level". A lot of buyers for this kind of car pay cash and recognize that the car is unaffected, only the paperwork. Looking for an SUV for my wife and would be thrilled to find a buyback. Just like my beautiful Z06. Bought back over an ABS light issue which has never recurred.

I'm not here to internet argue- I stated my opinions based on 25 years in the auto lending business working with over 14 thousand dealers nationwide and globally building LOS scorecard/risk models incorporating vehicle valuations and residual estimations. If the title shows BB and/or the Carfax; the values will go down faster thus why lenders don't accept these "branded" titles. I understand there may be a loophole in FL where it pulls after "3 years or something" as you stated but if the buyer is aware then its going to hinder the sale at a non buyback level of pricing.

I hope you enjoy your buybacks and am glad you have no issues!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:05 AM

I notice we both have 2015 Huracans. I would guess we could both agree that is an astounding car It will be interesting to see if the upcoming lightweight version beats the Porsche 918 and sets the Nurburgring record as is being rumored. Without being that radically altered from our cars.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:52 AM
Administrator

I notice we both have 2015 Huracans. I would guess we could both agree that is an astounding car It will be interesting to see if the upcoming lightweight version beats the Porsche 918 and sets the Nurburgring record as is being rumored. Without being that radically altered from our cars.
If that happens, all hell will break lose in P car world