Sponsored by:

Performance exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
G63,GT
Performance exhaust

Does anybody know for certain the difference between the GT with the performance exhaust and without it is? I guess my question is this: if you do NOT have it, is the exhaust default quieter than a vehicle equipped with one, or louder? I was at the dealer today and he started up 2 cars. One with and one without. Both were started in comfort mode. The one without the exhaust option was 100% without a doubt in my mind LOUDER. that leads me to belive that having a car with the exhaust option simply means that the car is default with the valves closed and the button just opens them; where as the car without the exhaust option is just missing the silencing valves, and therefore is always in "loud" mode.... thoughts? I am looking at a gt that doesnt have the exhaust option... and its the only thing holding me back. I want it to be loud.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
I've driven both. The AMG Performance Exhaust cars are definitely louder when driving. The regular exhaust cars start loud and then quickly rev down to a quieter mode. You'll need the option or an aftermarket system if you need the big sound.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
G63,GT
Originally Posted by Case1906
I've driven both. The AMG Performance Exhaust cars are definitely louder when driving. The regular exhaust cars start loud and then quickly rev down to a quieter mode. You'll need the option or an aftermarket system if you need the big sound.
Thanks. How about the suspension? Is the optional 3-stage suspension more "comfortable" or does the 3-stage option simply make for 2x additional (higher) stiffness settings? It blows my mind why dealers wouldnt order these cars without the upgraded exhaust regardless.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Comfort setting is AMG's attempt at a more relaxed ride.

Not like BMW's hard-harder-hardest adaptive settings

See this vid on passive and make your own mind up:

Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
first, when you start a car cold it revs high to warm up, then after a while, maybe 20+ seconds it settles down to idle
second, the perf exh is rear mufflers with a bypass valve that opens to bypass part of the chamber which makes it louder when you push a button

Last edited by okbarnett; 01-23-2017 at 09:27 AM.