Sponsored by:

Comand screen black-out.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-AMG GTS 2015
Comand screen black-out.

I have a GT S that was built early 2015 and stayed more than a year at the showroom of the dealer, until I bought it 7 months ago.

Since I have it, the COMAND screen sometimes remains black when I start the car. No means of turning it on, except for a complete power cycle. That is, stopping the car and turn off the contact for a minute of so. When restarting, the COMAND then works again.

If I continue driving with the black COMAND screen, everything else works normally. I can e.g. set the navigation with voice commands (linguatronic) and use the smaller screen between the speed and RPM dials for navigation. Further, I can also take a phone call, listen to the radio, etc, but all with a black COMAND screen. Pushing the volume knob just turns the audio off/on, but does not turn on the screen.

I already described this to my dealer who updated the software, but he could not reproduce the issue. I reported this problem also on the PL forum, but it seems to be no common problem...

Anybody else experienced this problem? Any clue on how to reset the screen without shutting of the contact? Anybody knows of some cable connection that could be loose? I plan to go back to the dealer who will probably open a TIPS case, but the dealer where I bought the car is a bit far away...
Old 02-15-2017, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by vanpraet
I have a GT S that was built early 2015 and stayed more than a year at the showroom of the dealer, until I bought it 7 months ago.

Since I have it, the COMAND screen sometimes remains black when I start the car. No means of turning it on, except for a complete power cycle. That is, stopping the car and turn off the contact for a minute of so. When restarting, the COMAND then works again.

If I continue driving with the black COMAND screen, everything else works normally. I can e.g. set the navigation with voice commands (linguatronic) and use the smaller screen between the speed and RPM dials for navigation. Further, I can also take a phone call, listen to the radio, etc, but all with a black COMAND screen. Pushing the volume knob just turns the audio off/on, but does not turn on the screen.

I already described this to my dealer who updated the software, but he could not reproduce the issue. I reported this problem also on the PL forum, but it seems to be no common problem...

Anybody else experienced this problem? Any clue on how to reset the screen without shutting of the contact? Anybody knows of some cable connection that could be loose? I plan to go back to the dealer who will probably open a TIPS case, but the dealer where I bought the car is a bit far away...
I haven't experienced the problem but MB does need to take care of it. If there is another dealer closer by he can work on it also. Doesn't have to be the dealer you bought it from. Please keep us informed.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-AMG GTS 2015
Originally Posted by California John
I haven't experienced the problem but MB does need to take care of it. If there is another dealer closer by he can work on it also. Doesn't have to be the dealer you bought it from. Please keep us informed.
Thanks for the advice. I plan indeed to go to another dealer close by, also for maintenance. There are plenty overhere.

I am mainly curious whether others experienced the same problem (apparently not) and if so, if I can do something myself to solve it.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by vanpraet
Thanks for the advice. I plan indeed to go to another dealer close by, also for maintenance. There are plenty overhere.

I am mainly curious whether others experienced the same problem (apparently not) and if so, if I can do something myself to solve it.
As I mentioned over on the PL, take it in and get the problem documented and a case opened. AMG will take care of it.

Regards