Sponsored by:

Cops and License Plate

Old 02-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Cops and License Plate

Just ordered this kit from Amazon....

Amazon Amazon

has anyone installed this? any advice on which piece to remove first? looks like a pita...might just have the shop do it. it utilizes the front tow hook plug, but it looks unreachable without removing some body work.

it's very common to get pulled over for lack of front facing license plate and it happens a lot where I live. already happened once and the cop gave a verbal warning but "tagged your vehicle for future sightings...."

so...I bought this mount (which I hate) and going to install. First and last mod to the car.

thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
I bought that mount and really don't like it. The tow hook bar is way too short. You have to use like 50 washers to attempt to clear the car. Then you are left with a license plate hanging out there just waiting to rip your clothes when you brush by it. I could see it tearing your clothes and scratching the paint at the same time!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by austintipton
I bought that mount and really don't like it. The tow hook bar is way too short. You have to use like 50 washers to attempt to clear the car. Then you are left with a license plate hanging out there just waiting to rip your clothes when you brush by it. I could see it tearing your clothes and scratching the paint at the same time!
so what did you end up using? make a fabricated one for yourself?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by GTSEd1
Just ordered this kit from Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-GT-H.../dp/B01F7URC6M

has anyone installed this? any advice on which piece to remove first? looks like a pita...might just have the shop do it. it utilizes the front tow hook plug, but it looks unreachable without removing some body work.

it's very common to get pulled over for lack of front facing license plate and it happens a lot where I live. already happened once and the cop gave a verbal warning but "tagged your vehicle for future sightings...."

so...I bought this mount (which I hate) and going to install. First and last mod to the car.

thanks

Frankly, in my assessment that is but ugly!! I would rather get a ticket.
BTW how much is the ticket?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by JSwan724
$70 in Maryland and it is not a moving violation-no points.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:33 AM

AMG GTS
yes, it is terribly ugly. it's not the price that matters, just a convenience/annoyance factor. I've been pulled over 3 times in my other vehicle, 2 warnings and then finally a ticket, went to court showed picture of fixed license plate. even been pulled over for my window tint being too dark.

Originally Posted by Case1906
$70 in Maryland and it is not a moving violation-no points.
right. it's about 70 bucks.

I'll try to figure this one out or build my own that I can detach. was just curious on anyone's take for this plate mount.

thanks for the replies
Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by GTSEd1
yes, it is terribly ugly. it's not the price that matters, just a convenience/annoyance factor. I've been pulled over 3 times in my other vehicle, 2 warnings and then finally a ticket, went to court showed picture of fixed license plate. even been pulled over for my window tint being too dark.

right. it's about 70 bucks.

I'll try to figure this one out or build my own that I can detach. was just curious on anyone's take for this plate mount.

thanks for the replies

I'm a Maryland alumni. I had the distinction of having one of the very few
MD DMV multiple page driving records while still driving.....younger days.

FWIW: When you go before the judge and he reads your driving record out in open court....Speeding, speeding, speeding, speeding...etc. and asks what you are trying to accomplish, the WRONG response is "Trying to become a certified Maryland high speed driver".

BACK TO YOUR LICENSE PLATE PROBLEM--- There is a fold away plate holder that some of the Hot Rod guys use. It's electric and you can fold your plate under the front spoiler via a electric motor and switch. NEAT!! I think you could fabricate something that would allow the plate holder and motor to fit flush with the under body panels so your limited ground clearance isn't reduced.

Best regards
Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 337 Likes on 192 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I'm a Maryland alumni. I had the distinction of having one of the very few
MD DMV multiple page driving records while still driving.....younger days.

FWIW: When you go before the judge and he reads your driving record out in open court....Speeding, speeding, speeding, speeding...etc. and asks what you are trying to accomplish, the WRONG response is "Trying to become a certified Maryland high speed driver".

BACK TO YOUR LICENSE PLATE PROBLEM--- There is a fold away plate holder that some of the Hot Rod guys use. It's electric and you can fold your plate under the front spoiler via a electric motor and switch. NEAT!! I think you could fabricate something that would allow the plate holder and motor to fit flush with the under body panels so your limited ground clearance isn't reduced.

Best regards
On the SL550 boards someone had a fold away plate holder. It was an active thread there a couple of years ago. It was available from some parts supplier I believe. It really was rather cool.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
This is what you need
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by emericr

YEP, THAT'S IT!!

Good Job turning it up.

I'm thinking you could mount it underneath on one side and have the tag rotate up when you need it.

Last edited by JSwan724; 02-17-2017 at 02:31 PM.