Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S-550, 2001 E-430 & 1997 E-420
Question D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE

I am installing phone kit in my 2001 E-430. I found 15 pin [for VRM], 25 pin [for PSE] and UHF Coaxil connectors in trunk.

But when I look for Fiber connection, I don't find any pre wire connector.

I found 2 Orange fiber cable going to CD Changer. I found One In Line Coupler on fiber cables.

I know that I need one fiber 90-degree angle connector for PSE and one fibere Straight connector for VRM.

Is any one know how to get fiber into your PSE and VRM modules?? Please help. Even If I Buy D2B fiber cable fro PSE and VRM from Stealer, what and how I get tie into 2 fiber cable that goes to CD Changer.

Any reply will be greatly appreciated.

Following is what I found in MB installation manual.

B. Configuring the D2B ring
1. Vehicles delivered from the factory may have active fibers (e.g. optical amplifier and/or factory installed
CD), inactive fibers (e.g. no amplifier or accessories installed), or no fibers. Vehicles will vary in
accordance with the equipment installed. Some vehicles will have all required fibers installed while others
will contain additional fiber links in the accessory kit(s). Refer to the respective accessory reference for
fiber location information.
2. To remove/install components, the D2B ring
must be ‘broken’ and the appropriate
adjustments made to the configuration. One
or all of the following optical connector styles
may be present.
a) In-line coupler (Figure 2) Disassemble by
gently prying up, from the side of the clip
closest to the connector, one or both of
the metal spring clips on either side of
the connector.
b) 90-degree angle connector (Figure 3)
Disassemble by gently separating the two
plastic housing halves.
c) Straight connector (not shown: similar to
Figure 3, but straight) Disassemble by
gently separating the two plastic housing halves.

3. Exercise extreme care when disassembling connectors and handling fibers to ensure that no fiber ends
are damaged. Fiber end damage will result in light loss that may lead to intermittent D2B ring operation
and/or failure.
4. The D2B ring configuration varies according to vehicle type and in accordance with the vehicle’s
equipment level and necessity to add or remove. Refer to Section C and use the following examples as
guides in determining how to configure the D2B ring.
C. D2B ring version coding
1. The D2B master (radio or head unit) must recognize the ring configuration in order for the D2B ring to
properly function. The ring configuration is critical to the proper function of the D2B self-diagnostic
systems. Improperly version coded rings may intermittently malfunction and will generate false diagnostic
trouble codes (DTC’s).
2. Version coding is performed using StarDiagnosis (SDS). While the exact path to the version coding
screens may differ according to the equipment used and software updates made, the following sample
path represents how to access this function on the diagnostic equipment:
• Control units / Information and communication / D2B / Control unit adaptations / D2B nominal
configuration
3. Once in the configuration screen, the individual D2B components must be set to the appropriate
configuration. The diagrams following illustrate proper version coding assignments for each model.
4. The diagrams following, are examples of D2B ring configurations with the maximum number of ring
components. Some installations will not include all of the components shown in the examples. If a
component is not present, connect the preceding component output to the input of the one following the
component not present.
5. Do not leave any blank or Not Present between components when setting the configuration. All
components must be listed one after the other in proper order, and then after the last component, the
remaining entries should be set to Not Present.
6. Only vehicles with COMAND or MCS include the Tele Aid 2 module in the D2B ring.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
hey yo whats up. im in a hurry right now and im going out to dinner so i didnt really have time to really read thru your post and pinpoint what you need help with but i did this exact install in my clk a few months back. it was a little tricky at first but i pretty much figured it all out by myself along with this guy paul ****s help (really his website's help), see:

home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite

also read thru this thread i posted when i was doing my install and the answers to your questions may be in here. if not post back and ill take another look when i get home later and i have more time

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/107793-retrofitting-oem-mb-phone-kit-into-w208.html
Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Fiber connection

BklynBenz, thanks for your reply. I check in my trunk and find only 2 fiber cables that are going to CD changer. I don't see any other connector on fiber cable that are already prewire for PSE and VRM.

Look like the one inline connector is the one where I will break the fiber loop and add PSE and VRM fiber connector.

BklynBenz, can you tell me if this is the case.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:19 AM

Unhappy Pic's

BklynBenz, my trunk wiring looks same as this photo.

Any help on Fiber will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE-mb-phone-fiber-photos2.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 AM

Mystry is solved

I found that I will need fiber cable that has connector for PSE and VRM. This cable with connector fit into the existing fiber loop.

See pics.
Attached Thumbnails D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE-cd_1_b.jpg   D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE-fo-20fitting.jpg   D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE-14_1_b.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
cool so did you get it working? what step are you up to now? dont know if you saw it yet but there is an extra orange cable that should have come with your car and it should be taped or ziptied to the working loop in your car. just detach and youre ready to rock. you see the pic of the module you posted, do you see how that attached to the other black module? it has that heavy cable and should plug right in.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:37 PM

Question D2B Version Coding & Configuration

I have not finish installing the parts yet. I have to wait to get fiber connector/cable for PSE/VRM modules. I should have it this Friday and then I will finish installation this weekend.

Once I install all of above then I will ask dealer to code my D2B loop and activate my PSE [Phone] and VRM [Voice recognation module]. I have service "A" due, so I will try to get code conversion and activation for free with my service "A".

Once all activated and working then I will get MIKBOX and V551 cradle from MIK and will be done with phone/VRM installation.

I will keep you posted with my progress.

Can some one tell me what I need to tell dealer?? Should I say to do Version Coding/Configuration of my D2B loop and activate the PSE and VRM.

What dealer actually do on STAR DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM ???

Please reply.

I found following in one of the D2B manual for 2001 W210 [E-430].

Version Coding & Configuration.

D2B ring version coding

1. The D2B master (radio or head unit) must recognize the ring configuration in order for the D2B ring to properly function. The ring configuration is critical to the proper function of the D2B self-diagnostic systems. Improperly version coded rings may intermittently malfunction and will generate false diagnostic trouble codes (DTC’s).

2. Version coding is performed using StarDiagnosis (SDS). While the exact path to the version coding screens may differ according to the equipment used and software updates made, the following sample path represents how to access this function on the diagnostic equipment:

3. Once in the configuration screen, the individual D2B components must be set to the appropriate configuration. The diagrams following illustrate proper version coding assignments for each model.

4. The diagrams following, are examples of D2B ring configurations with the maximum number of ring components. Some installations will not include all of the components shown in the examples. If a component is not present, connect the preceding component output to the input of the one following the component not present.

5. Do not leave any blank or Not Present between components when setting the configuration. All components must be listed one after the other in proper order, and then after the last component, the remaining entries should be set to Not Present.

6. Only vehicles with COMAND or MCS include the Tele Aid 2 module in the D2B ring.

7. Confirm that the programmed and actual configurations are the same once the ring has been properly version coded. This can be accomplished by using the D2B actual values function. Again, the paths to access this feature may vary depending on the test equipment and software level, but the following is a representative sample:

8. Verify that the version coding input (specified value) matches the actual configuration performed during installation (actual values). If a difference exists, the ring has been improperly configured and must be disassembled to diagnose and correct the error.

9. Check the DTC memory of all installed components and the head unit. Any present DTC(s) should be diagnosed, identified, corrected and the DTC memory cleared.

Note: Powering up a newly installed system prior to version coding will set D2B ring configuration errors.

These errors may be ignored during the initial DTC check. If, after clearing the DTC(s), they return in subsequent operation of the system, a configuration error is present that must be located and corrected.

10. Perform a short functional test on the D2B system group and confirm that no new DTC’s have been set.
Attached Thumbnails D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE-mb-w210-fiber-version-coding.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
MB Fiber version coding.bmp (1.07 MB, 1293 views)
Old 11-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Mik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen any case where it mattered that the programmed and actual devices were different.
Whats more important: Tell them to enable the phone functions for your intrument cluster.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Mik
I haven't seen any case where it mattered that the programmed and actual devices were different.
Whats more important: Tell them to enable the phone functions for your intrument cluster.
If the programmed and actual devices differ the memory location of the devices stored in the head unit and the device errors may not match. Thus making the diagnostic functions misaligned.

May as well code it properly and know that the device location is stored.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:56 AM

Question What type of Nut for Bracket Mount

Hi, My PSE/Comps/VRM bracket does not came with mounting nuts. There are 2 stud on wheel and look like will need M6 nuts to support lower part of the bracket.

Is M6 is the right nut size for lower bracket mount ????

Following is what in installation manual.

Mount the bracket assembly to the wheel well by placing the two lower bracket feet onto the two wheel well studs and the upper bracket stud mounts through the pre-punched hole in the hinge reinforcement panel. Place two plastic nuts over the studs. Secure the upper mount with an M6 nut. Tighten all three fasteners.

Attached Thumbnails D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE-mb-bracket-1.jpg   D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE-mb-bracket-2.jpg   D2B Fiber loop connection for VRM/PSE-mb-bracket-3.jpg