Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

bose speakers, how long do they last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 dodge ram for work 1994 SL500 for fun
bose speakers, how long do they last?

I recently got a 1994 SL500 with 82,000 miles. It has the bose system and the speakers sound like chit, do they wear out with time? What would be the cost to replace them? I am really dissapointed with the sound.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK500, 78 6.9,
The only part of a speaker driver that can "wear out" is probably the rubber / foam cone surround. I'll assume the surrounds are probably made of foam, so I'd say theyre good for at least 20 years, as they're not in direct sunlight.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Many parts of a speaker fail with heavy use, temperature cycles, and the ravages of corrosion and vibration. The voice coil is the most delicate, and prone to causing distorted sound when damaged. Being a Bose part, it will cost twice as much as it should, but it is of very high quality, and if the sound is right for you (speakers are like underwear, preference plays a big part.) you should consider replacing the only the offending speakers. I never change them all as a set unless forced to do so, because the new one might not be as good as the old one.