Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Iphone 3G using A2DP connected to Pioneer car audio deck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG
Iphone 3G using A2DP connected to Pioneer car audio deck

iphone 3G works with A2DP using the Sony TMR-BT81P adapter! Here's my project: connect my iphone 3G to my car stereo using A2DP. I was able to successfully connect my iphone 3G to my car deck using this adapter, play music, and change tracks. The car this was installed on was my mercedes c-class C32 '02 model. Heres the equipment I used:

1) Pioneer DEH-6900UB car reciever (no longer sold, but newer ones are also Bluetooth compatible)
2) Pioneer CD-BTB100 Bluetooth module; connects to the car reciever for handsfree talking and stereo bluetooth
3) Sony TMR-BT81P bluetooth transmitter
4) Iphone 3G (mine was unlocked)

Steps to connect:

1) Swith car reciever to BT Audio (you can also do step 2 before 1).
2) Plug-in the Sony adapter into the iphone 3G
3) Swith to iPod music
4) Push the Sony adapter on button (only one button to sync/turn on/turn off).
5) The blue light will flash for several seconds while it syncs with the pioneer and it will then connect. You will get the 'accessory is not made for iphone prompt, swith to airplane mode'. Select no.
6) The pioneer deck will then change over to connected to iphone. Push play on the current song and you should start hearing music streaming through your car audio speakers. No wires! =) I was able to then change tracks using only the iphone/ipod screen controls, without having to use the reciever change track knob. I was also able to change tracks using the knob as well; perfrect if you want to hide away your iphone once connnected. Battery life on using the sony transmitter was pretty good considering.

Notes:
After fiddling with various scenarios, a couple of notes here.

Handsfree calling using the CD-BTB100: I also use the iphone 3G and bluetooth module for hands-free calling so if you connect the iphone 3G to the reciever for handsfree calling, expect some glitches. Sometimes when a call would come in, it would not revert back to the A2DP music being played at the time and sometimes freeze the iphone. If a freeze occurs after a phone-call, The only way to fix this was to disconnect the sony adapter and do a soft restart. Other times, I would connect the handsfree connection first and then play music second, for both functions to work properly. Make sure that once connected for audio a2dp and telephone that the reciever is telling you its connected.

On powering up:
Since this adapter feeds its power from the iphone, you have to connect and push the button everytime you disconnect it and then reconnect it for it to begin syncing with the car deck.

Car operation:
As any user of this pioneer module will tell you, the bluetooth connection will not stay on if you turn off the car and take out the key. This process has to be repeated everytime you power on the car and the car stereo recieves power.

The pictures:
The first pic is of the unit displaying no BT connection, with the adapter unconnected (of course).
Since I'm using the iphone photo function, the second pic shows that its connected once I do the above procedures and connect the adapter to my iphone, get a solid a2dp connection, and start playing music. I'll try to put up a youtube video of this process for you audiophiles out there. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Iphone 3G using A2DP connected to Pioneer car audio deck-iphone-pics-006.jpg   Iphone 3G using A2DP connected to Pioneer car audio deck-iphone-pics-013.jpg