Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2000 S430 COMAND question - Street addresses

Old 01-12-2003, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
2000 S430 COMAND question - Street addresses

I have a 2000 S430 with a nav CD dated 07/01. The nav will NOT take me to an exact street address, only the "block". It will allow me to input a "house number", but then brings up a list of "blocks" with the block highlighted that contains the actual address.

Is there ANY way to correct or update this unit to get me to an exact address (like any $25k Japanese car w/nav can do)?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2003, 11:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
I have an '03 C320 with a 2002 (most recent) COMAND CD-ROM. It works the same way. Unfortunately, there is no way to enter an exact address, only a range as you mentioned. Frustrating, I know. After using it a few times, it does seem to get you "close enough" though.

I just keep thinking about all the Hertz rental cars I've had with their NeverLost navigation system, which of course allows entry of exact addresses. Pretty sad Mercede's COMAND is inferior to Hertz NeverLost with this functionality, hunh?
Old 01-13-2003, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I have $25K Japanese car with DVD navigation where I can enter exact address. It has also many nice features that I can't find in my MB. However, I prefer MB's navigation as more accurate. Actually, navigation of Lexus is so inaccurate so can send you in opposite direction, point a side street as freeway, consider exact street addres as two block away of a real address and so on. I contacted Lexus about their crap and got answer that logo screen of our navigation states that it's a piece of *****, so what do you expect? It's a nice answer, isn't it?
Old 01-15-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MB NAV cd is very limited and does not contain all the house numbers on every street. However I found that the Nav system on my 2001 S430 is more accurate than my Garmin handheld Pilot unit. One way to get around this lack of street number is setting the street address as you do now. This will take you to the block that contain that street number and announce that "you have reached your destination". Ignore until you arrive at your "real" destination, all you need to do is to re-program and save the destination via "Current Map location". Next time it will take you exactly to that spot (more or less)
Old 01-31-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
MB updates

Is there any possibility of MB updating the software in the older COMAND systems (2000) to be more user freindly like the newer versions? Maybe with an update CD?
Or is it hardware that controls the features, which could not be as easily updated?
Thanks