Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Remote starter for Mercedes with Smartkey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Coupe
I just called Mid-City Engineering for a remote starter for my 2008 C300. The guy told me to call him back in 2 weeks for an update. However, I loose the spare key in the process of having this started installed. I guess, its like some of the other mods, where a key gets put into a module to bypass the security configs.

In additon to that, it will be around a $1000 and will be installed through the dealer.

I'm definiately putting my money down for this, hate the Chicago cold.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by tishC300
I just called Mid-City Engineering for a remote starter for my 2008 C300. The guy told me to call him back in 2 weeks for an update. However, I loose the spare key in the process of having this started installed. I guess, its like some of the other mods, where a key gets put into a module to bypass the security configs.

In additon to that, it will be around a $1000 and will be installed through the dealer.

I'm definiately putting my money down for this, hate the Chicago cold.
Yeah I hear ya... I have been testing the starter this whole month in my ML and all I can say is it couldnt have come at a more perfect time; This 20 below stuff totally sucks.

Its so nice to come out to the ML and have it be 78 degrees and running
Old 01-17-2009, 12:29 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Another update for you guys without Keyless Go: Testing is coming along quite nicely on the universal version... We also have an official product name:

Its called the SmartKey Starter (TM)... only available from Midcity Engineering.

Here is some video of it working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=307uxeIpKMY
Old 01-17-2009, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by rob13572468
Another update for you guys without Keyless Go: Testing is coming along quite nicely on the universal version... We also have an official product name:

Its called the SmartKey Starter (TM)... only available from Midcity Engineering.

Here is some video of it working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=307uxeIpKMY
TEASE!

Seriously, cannot wait for you to release this.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
For those of us without keyless go:

Does this require that you keep a second key in the car / in the unit?
Is this something the dealer or a pro must install?

Any such details would be most appreciated.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
very interested in this
Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by acr2001
For those of us without keyless go:

Does this require that you keep a second key in the car / in the unit?
Is this something the dealer or a pro must install?

Any such details would be most appreciated.

The version designed for Keyless-Go cars exclusively uses a second key that is activated for the remote start cycle but is also a less expensive product...

The universal piece (which will work on any smartkey equipped model... Keyless go or not) does not need a second key; It instead "learns" one of the existing keys which can still be used. The universal piece is however considerably more complex and costs a bit more than the KG piece.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by acr2001
Is this something the dealer or a pro must install?.
The remote starter units will need to be installed by a dealer. Its really not going to be a DIY piece only because there is going to be some programming differences involved with adapting to the various models.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:15 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Timeless
TEASE!

Seriously, cannot wait for you to release this.
I know... Its so unfair, but look at it this way... I had to *invent* the thing from scratch just to have one in my car

In all seriousness I know everyone is excited; the phone has been ringing off the hook and we want to get these out to you guys.. we just need to finish the testing process and that takes a while (we have to test on *every* chassis variation, model year, and even for certain options packages, plus temperature, vibration, humidity, etc.) We just want to be sure that our products perform to your expectations.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 PM

2011 E350 Coupe
WHEN IS IT COMING OUT ? This kind of torture is worse than the convicts face at Guantanamo Bay.

I can't take this Illinois cold any more.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 PM

08-C350 black/black
I WANT ONE....c350 non KG..i cant wait...do you need anymore testers
Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Good News.. We just finished testing the ML/GL/R Class Starter and it is working *beautifully* We have W204 C class in the lab and thats next up for testing so we should have those ready shortly.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM

2009 GL450, 06 Triumph Speed Triple, 07 Triumph Speedmaster
Good News.. We just finished testing the ML/GL/R Class Starter and it is working *beautifully* We have W204 C class in the lab and thats next up for testing so we should have those ready shortly.
"finished testing"

Is that a tease? Give us the skinny, is it ready for purchase?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
The version designed for Keyless-Go cars exclusively uses a second key that is activated for the remote start cycle but is also a less expensive product...

The universal piece (which will work on any smartkey equipped model... Keyless go or not) does not need a second key; It instead "learns" one of the existing keys which can still be used. The universal piece is however considerably more complex and costs a bit more than the KG piece.
Question, what did you guys do in regards to the patent on transponder bypass modules, or does this somehow get around it?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Question, what did you guys do in regards to the patent on transponder bypass modules, or does this somehow get around it?
Do you have more info on this patent? Depends on how broad it is I would think, because our cars do not use a transponder the way other vehicles do (with a metal key and a chip in the key). There is no seperate 'chip' in our key, it uses IR signals as well as an active RF signal to authenticate.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just know about it cause I'm in the remote starter business, actually one of few authorized distributors, in the U.S., of Fortin bypass modules (www.ifar.ca). I actually personally know the guy who owns the patents on transponder bypass modules. Years ago he used to say how this passive RF system in the keys would be the way of the future for OEM security. Most people didn't believe him, but he turned out to be right. Very smart man IMO. Actually there was a huge lawsuit against Directed Electronics for infringing on these patents, and DEI lost.

Yes, I notice that our cars use a infrared reader in the ignition, unlike BMW's, Audi's, Land Rovers, Chryslers (new key type). Actually, besides MB, Audi is the next hardest. The entire ignition barrel has to be sent out to be modified. BMW's aren't that hard.

However, I noticed something interesting on the W204 C300 and C350 loaners I have gotten, they do not have a infrared reader in the ignition, meaning it must only work of a RF signal like most cars. I guess another form of MB decontenting. I know this since our 07 W203 C230 has the infrared reader in the ignition cylinder.

Last edited by gaazmon; 01-30-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:13 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350

However, I noticed something interesting on the W204 C300 and C350 loaners I have gotten, they do not have a infrared reader in the ignition, meaning it must only work of a RF signal like most cars. I guess another form of MB decontenting. I know this since our 07 W203 C230 has the infrared reader in the ignition cylinder.
Hmmm - may want to check again - W204 is still listed as using IR DAS with induction power at switch - MB has not built a new key just for the W204's.

Last edited by UK-C200; 01-30-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by UK-C200
Hmmm - may want to check again - W204 is still listed as using IR DAS with induction power at switch - MB has not built a new key just for the W204's.
I distinctly remember this on the last C300 they gave me. The key had the sensor for the window close and open feature, but the ignition switch didn't have anything in it, it was just black plastic. I remember cause I mentioned it to my dad and he said maybe they took out the IR key sensor to save money and just switched to a full RF system in the C-class.

I remember the pre-98 S-classes had just the infrared sensor for even locking and unlocking the car, with the cool green and red light switch on the doors and trunk, but that thing would only work from like 10 ft away and you have to point right at it. My friend who had a 96 e320 for a little bit complained how they only mounted the sensors on the front of the rear view mirror so he would have to always go up to the front of the car to get it opened.

Last edited by gaazmon; 01-31-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I've been in a few W204 loaners and the window is still there. I think it is made of a slightly different material which happens to make it blend in more so it looks like its missing in certain light / angles. Don't get me started on what I think of the rest of the W204 interior materials
Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
:-) As I said, the switch module for the W204 still has the IR interface - and no, let's not talk about the new interior!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Update?

I want this on my S500.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
I just know about it cause I'm in the remote starter business, actually one of few authorized distributors, in the U.S., of Fortin bypass modules (www.ifar.ca). I actually personally know the guy who owns the patents on transponder bypass modules. Years ago he used to say how this passive RF system in the keys would be the way of the future for OEM security. Most people didn't believe him, but he turned out to be right. Very smart man IMO. Actually there was a huge lawsuit against Directed Electronics for infringing on these patents, and DEI lost.

Yes, I notice that our cars use a infrared reader in the ignition, unlike BMW's, Audi's, Land Rovers, Chryslers (new key type). Actually, besides MB, Audi is the next hardest. The entire ignition barrel has to be sent out to be modified. BMW's aren't that hard.

yep the patent issues are notoriously treacherous with these products.. We actually ended up *not* using a key at all in the final product so now there is no transponder bypass needed. We had been working another approach and wanted to be sure that it would work properly in extended testing (which it does). The interesting thing about the lawsuit that you mentioned is that the end result was that the infringing company got licensed anyway which set the legal precedent that pretty much any reasonable company is going to get a license from the IP holder if they want one. So long story short, had we used the transponder we would have been paying a few bucks a box just like everyone else.

I agree with you that the guy you are talking about (ken) is a really intelligent guy. He was smart enough to look at the various industry trends and work out the methods involved well before anyone else. I say good for him.

The new system is actually pretty interesting.. Now none of the models need a key at all to use the remote starter whether they are keyless go or not and still retain all security. Its pretty innovative method and we have 2 seperate patents on the method because its so entirely different from anything that has been done before.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Sorry for taking so long to reply... Anyway, yes we are currently shipping the Smartkey starter for 2006-current ML, GL, and R Class vehicles. Both Keyless-Go and Non-Keyless Go are supported by the same unit and it also supports diesel variants (both regular and bluetec).

Currently the starter is activated using the panic button on the factory remote ( you press panic to activate the starter or you hold panic to use the actual 'panic' feature). For those of you that desire additional range, we are working with arguably the best remote starter manufacturer in the business now and we are testing their long range remote systems as an add-on to the smartkey starter. This will allow you to start your mercedes from 1000 ft away! We expect to have the long range version of the Smartkey Starter available within a few weeks.

The Smartkey Starter is dealer installed only so keep that in mind: installation is plug-and-play to the vehicle: there is no cutting of *any* wires so the dealers will be very happy. The starter can actually be removed from the vehicle pretty quickly and even reprogrammed for newer vehicles so if you lease you can move it to your next MB and use it again.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 PM

'05 C230 Kompressor SS
Work with manuals trannys?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yep the patent issues are notoriously treacherous with these products.. We actually ended up *not* using a key at all in the final product so now there is no transponder bypass needed. We had been working another approach and wanted to be sure that it would work properly in extended testing (which it does). The interesting thing about the lawsuit that you mentioned is that the end result was that the infringing company got licensed anyway which set the legal precedent that pretty much any reasonable company is going to get a license from the IP holder if they want one. So long story short, had we used the transponder we would have been paying a few bucks a box just like everyone else.

I agree with you that the guy you are talking about (ken) is a really intelligent guy. He was smart enough to look at the various industry trends and work out the methods involved well before anyone else. I say good for him.

The new system is actually pretty interesting.. Now none of the models need a key at all to use the remote starter whether they are keyless go or not and still retain all security. Its pretty innovative method and we have 2 seperate patents on the method because its so entirely different from anything that has been done before.
Very interesting about the way the bypass is setup. I like how it doesn't need to leave the key in the car (because the BMW's ones we have, you have to leave one). As someone with experience in this field and judging by the description your giving me, this sounds like a top notch product.

Yes, I know Ken (of Omega R&D in Georgia) personally. Yes, he's always been ahead of the industry. Also, he has always been focused on enriching the consumer with knowledge about auto security and the stuff works to protect your vehicle.

Yes, it is ironic that since DEI lost the lawsuit, they then ended up buying Trilogix Electronic Systems of Canada. We used to use Trilogix but once we got signed up by Fortin, we stopped the Trilogix stuff. DEI is in a world of financial trouble and they are going from public back to private and really cutting back on everything.

Ah, it uses the panic button, interesting. The add-on remote start system, which we make, you press the lock button 3 times, but this won't work on a Benz because of the ignition system. We also manufacturer long range 1-way and 2-way LCD remote starters. May I ask who you are working with for the longer range remote? I'm guessing Compustar.

Last edited by gaazmon; 02-04-2009 at 02:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote starter for Mercedes with Smartkey