Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Comand NTG 2.5: ECE vs. USA version?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SL500 Sport; '95 SL500
Comand NTG 2.5: ECE vs. USA version?

Like many of you, I've reached the end of my patience with the horrible Comand unit in my '05 SL and am looking to replace it with the NTG 2.5 setup that's included in the '09 model.

I've found a couple of these floating around, but they're usually the European-spec (ECE) models. I've been told that, unlike the earlier Comands, the NTG 2.5 is identical worldwide. So I'm concerned that MB has separate part numbers for the two versions. Does anyone have solid knowledge of the similarities/differences between the ECE and USA model? Is there any reason that I need to hold out for a USA version?

As best I can figure after spending time on EPCnet, the current part number for the USA-spec NTG 2.5 head unit with the internal DVD changer to fit the R230 is A 230 870 25 94 (this part number superceded A 230 870 20 94).

The identical ECE-spec unit apears to be A 230 870 24 94 (which replaces A 230 870 19 94).

I sure don't want to purchase one of these from outside the U.S. only to find that it won't work here. Any info welcomed!

Many thanks,
Rob
Old 02-07-2009, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I don't think the Euro part is the same as the US one, you have satellite radio, weather band etc. while Euro units have something else.

I'm not familiar with this model at all but when one guy asked about fitting a new Comand to his SL, a retrofit expert explained that he has the same car and would not try installing the NTG2.5 unit. Perhaps this was for an older R230 though, I understood that the dash mechanical issues were the problem. If your current Comand already has the same shape as the new NTG2.5 unit, you should be closer at least.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks, Diesel Benz. You may be right about the sat radio and WB issue. I know this was true with the earlier Comands; just didn't know if it still aplied to the NTG 2.5 - and I'm just having trouble finding a solid answer as to the differences.

Ordinarily I'd just go with a USA-spec unit, but MBUSA wants somewhere close to $7k for one which is just insane. Over time, that cost will surely go down just as it has with the older Comands.

The dash is not an issue with 2005+ SLs, which is when they started using MOST-based widescreen Comands. You are right, however, that it would definitely be a problem with the 2003 and (I think?) 2004 SL, where the center console wood surrounded all sides of the Comand HU. However, the fact that those earlier cars used D2B vs. MOST is a far bigger problem than the physical fit into the dash!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Perhaps MBenzNL would have the US compatible device cheaper. At least you would get the right unit.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM

C 220 CDI Sportcoupe 2005
USA comand ntg 2.5 on european car?

Hello, I´m from Granada Spain. Do you know if can install a USA comand 2.5 unit on my european W245.
I don´t have problem to install the european comand, but I don´t know the first .
Thank you very much.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jalomusic
Hello, I´m from Granada Spain. Do you know if can install a USA comand 2.5 unit on my european W245.
I don´t have problem to install the european comand, but I don´t know the first .
Thank you very much.
My understanding is that the NTG 2.5 COMAND units are now basically the same worldwide, other than having different maps loaded. I don't know how hard it would be to replace the U.S. maps and POI's with European ones, or if any other software or coding changes would be needed (for example, telling it that the FM tuning range and increments are different than in the U.S.) - but at least the hardware itself is supposed to be the same. Purchasing the maps and having a dealer perform any needed re-coding certainly adds to the cost. So unless you got an awfully good deal on the U.S.-spec unit, why not just sell it and then buy the correct European part? There appears to be a very good market for NTG 2.5 units on eBay, for example.

Speaking of which, I still haven't been able to find a U.S.-spec (or even Euro-spec) NTG 2.5 for my R230 SL500 at any remotely reasonable price - so if anyone hears of one, please let me know! For some reason, I see NTG 2.5 units for lots of other MB models selling at much lower prices than the same unit to fit an R230.

As a (hopefully) temporary solution, I've installed a mObridge iPod/Bluetooth adapter. The mObridge itself is ok and the sound quality is awesome, but the limitations of the horrible older COMAND make it really hard to use and very inflexible (for example, if you select an artist, you can't then go on to select which album from that artist you want -- it just starts playing every track from that artist.)
Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by rvonder
My understanding is that the NTG 2.5 COMAND units are now basically the same worldwide, other than having different maps loaded. I don't know how hard it would be to replace the U.S. maps and POI's with European ones, or if any other software or coding changes would be needed (for example, telling it that the FM tuning range and increments are different than in the U.S.) - but at least the hardware itself is supposed to be the same. Purchasing the maps and having a dealer perform any needed re-coding certainly adds to the cost. So unless you got an awfully good deal on the U.S.-spec unit, why not just sell it and then buy the correct European part? There appears to be a very good market for NTG 2.5 units on eBay, for example.

Speaking of which, I still haven't been able to find a U.S.-spec (or even Euro-spec) NTG 2.5 for my R230 SL500 at any remotely reasonable price - so if anyone hears of one, please let me know! For some reason, I see NTG 2.5 units for lots of other MB models selling at much lower prices than the same unit to fit an R230.

As a (hopefully) temporary solution, I've installed a mObridge iPod/Bluetooth adapter. The mObridge itself is ok and the sound quality is awesome, but the limitations of the horrible older COMAND make it really hard to use and very inflexible (for example, if you select an artist, you can't then go on to select which album from that artist you want -- it just starts playing every track from that artist.)
The NTG2.5 units are all the same basic unit... except... some have the 6 dvd changer and some only have a single DVD.. very few have a single cd still. Also many euro units do not have the nav drive included which means that you would need to get a drive and install the map software and have the unit coded to enable the map.

Now on to firmware: ECE units have euro tuning and DAB... US have us tuning and SAT. all NTG2.5 units can be reflashed to have different version firmware but not many people know how to do this..

SL uses a different network coding than the E/CLS/ML/GL/R so you cant take an ML NTG2.5 and make it work properly in the SL (not that it would fit anyway since the shape is different). Finally, when you attempt to retrofit from ntg2 to ntg2.5 keep in mind that its not a matter of just replacing the comand, you need to remove the *entire* old system including the old amplifier and sirius tuner and then get an amp and sirius tuner for a 2009 SL (or just switch to aftermarket amplifiers).

so yeah its a big deal.. it can be done: ive done it. its expensive.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Originally Posted by rob13572468
Now on to firmware: ECE units have euro tuning and DAB... US have us tuning and SAT. all NTG2.5 units can be reflashed to have different version firmware but not many people know how to do this..
If I understand this correctly, you are saying that if I take a US NTG 2.5. remove the head and replace it with an EU NTG 2.5 head, to use the radio I have to reflash different firmware? I thought I had to change the Zentrales Gateway to get the EU radio tuning. ??