Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Satellite Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty
Exclamation Satellite Radio Installation

I have to get Satellite radio installed in a 2005 S600 I recently purchased.
Terestrial radio is terrible.
Here is my issue, besides the $1100 quote from an MB dealer in NJ...
I would love to have XM in the car rather than Sirius. I have 2 radios with XM currently and I know the channels well. I have seen an Audiovox "direct to Vehicle Tuner" kit, through XM (http://shop.xmradio.com/xm/ctl10600/...l1/xm_direct_2) that says it works with any SAT ready head unit.
Does that mean I can have it installed somehow and get my command to display the XM channels?
Thank you for any information you can provide....

-Chris
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2007 C350 2015 ML400 1968 Ford Mustang
You should take a look at this from incartronics:

http://www.incartronics.com/MBMost.html?MBClass=S&VIM=1

They say their Sat system can be Sirius or XM. I am almost certain its by mobridge. I have the mobridge ipod/bluetooth system and its been good to me.

On your Audiovox system, it states "compatible with select aftermarket radios," indicating yours is a no-go. Plus that system uses a serial connection to communicate, while you need an optical solution.

Last edited by jrsmith_68; 01-21-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I got the Cartronics unit last year. It was advertised as a Sirus unit, but it is XM, which I am pleased as I have an existing XM receiver that I use on my mc and at work.
As for the display, it will work with the Comand system. The only problem that I have had is that it has lost its memory of stations four times. The Cartornics person said that it is the Comand system causing this, but I do not know. Another problem (at least to me), is that while you are going through the stations, it will only go through one gere at a time, meaning if you wanted to go through channels one to 100, it may stop at channel 20, you would have to manually input channel 21, then it may only go to channel 25. Again, Cartronics said that this is normal. Overall, I am very pleased with it.
By the way, I had it installed by a local radio shop that Cartronics recommended.
Mike T.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by jrsmith_68
You should take a look at this from incartronics:

http://www.incartronics.com/MBMost.html?MBClass=S&VIM=1

They say their Sat system can be Sirius or XM. I am almost certain its by mobridge. I have the mobridge ipod/bluetooth system and its been good to me.

On your Audiovox system, it states "compatible with select aftermarket radios," indicating yours is a no-go. Plus that system uses a serial connection to communicate, while you need an optical solution.
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I got the Cartronics unit last year. It was advertised as a Sirus unit, but it is XM, which I am pleased as I have an existing XM receiver that I use on my mc and at work.
As for the display, it will work with the Comand system. The only problem that I have had is that it has lost its memory of stations four times. The Cartornics person said that it is the Comand system causing this, but I do not know. Another problem (at least to me), is that while you are going through the stations, it will only go through one gere at a time, meaning if you wanted to go through channels one to 100, it may stop at channel 20, you would have to manually input channel 21, then it may only go to channel 25. Again, Cartronics said that this is normal. Overall, I am very pleased with it.
By the way, I had it installed by a local radio shop that Cartronics recommended.
Mike T.
Thank you guys very much for this information.
I really appreciate it.
I will inquire with them about the small issues you experienced.

-Chris
Old 01-22-2011, 07:59 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
http://www.mobridgeinc.com/products/xmd-a2010

Maybe a possibility....?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 F15 M, '06 E55, '20 Highlander, '18 M550
The Mobridge could absolutely work, but you need to know Exactly which current source unit you have and the date code of your vehicle. Very good chance of it working, but this is the only way to be certain.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Yes the mobridge kit works pretty well and you can pick sirius or xm... There are a few glitches as reported earlier and they are working to get those ironed out so keep that in mind but overall the user reports have been very positive.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
The Mobridge could absolutely work, but you need to know Exactly which current source unit you have and the date code of your vehicle. Very good chance of it working, but this is the only way to be certain.
When you say current source code and date code, what exactly, in layman's terms, do you mean?
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 F15 M, '06 E55, '20 Highlander, '18 M550
Originally Posted by Vabene7
When you say current source code and date code, what exactly, in layman's terms, do you mean?
Thanks.
The build date of your radio and vehicle.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
navtv has sirius that I have been using for 2 years and working quite well

sir-mb is the part number... you can get the best of xm also ...