Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Pioneer APP Radio 3(SPH-DA110) Install help please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Pioneer APP Radio 3(SPH-DA110) Install help please!

Hi guys,

I like doing things myself on the car, and trying to install a new head unit was just next on my list although i'm not a pro at it by any means. My car is a 2005 C55 AMG.

I ran into kind of a weird issue today. After taking my Comand unit out I could not locate where the speaker wires were. Now i'm stuck with trying to figure out how do i connect my speakers up. I found the NTG 2.5 Pinout diagram, although i'm not 100% sure thats even the right diagram i should be looking at or not.

My OEM HU is the model BB0510 which looks like this...

When i unhooked everything i saw that I dont have speaker wires in the Block A connector. Its just missing? I can't find it anywhere... first i thought i dropped it somewhere but its nowhere in the wiring loom. Does it go through the Fiber optics to the speakers?

This is the wiring harness i bought that plugs right into the factory harness pulled from the OEM HU.

Last edited by Duncan64; 01-03-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
'05 S430, '05 S600
Duncan, do you have the sound? If you do, then the sound travels to the amplifier (located in rear right quarter panel area, right by where everything else goes like the phone system and the satellite radio equipment) via the MOST loop (fiber optic) then from the amp to the speakers via regular wires. Please confirm if you have sound or not. Look for the Bose logo on your rear deck grills. If they have a small plastic Bose logo, then you have what is referred to as sound and therefore have an amp in the back and what I just explained is true.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by turbonos7
Duncan, do you have the sound? If you do, then the sound travels to the amplifier (located in rear right quarter panel area, right by where everything else goes like the phone system and the satellite radio equipment) via the MOST loop (fiber optic) then from the amp to the speakers via regular wires. Please confirm if you have sound or not. Look for the Bose logo on your rear deck grills. If they have a small plastic Bose logo, then you have what is referred to as sound and therefore have an amp in the back and what I just explained is true.
Hi there, thanks for the reply! I did not see a Bose logo anywhere but I know I have the 7 logic HK system. I think you must be correct simply because there are no speaker wires up front. I'll look in the rear quarter for the digital amp.

If that's the case I would probably have to run wires to all my speakers right? My OEM sound system works fine, I just wanted to update it with the app radio HU.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM

C55 AMG
this is what I have in my rear quarter panel on the right...

Last edited by Duncan64; 01-04-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM

C55 AMG
Can you guys please suggest what I need now for the install? Do I need a new amp etc?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM

'05 S430, '05 S600
Duncan, yes I was right. Sorry I got the Bose/HK thing reversed but yes in your rear quarter panel pics, that black thing with all the heat sinks mounted at what looks like a 45 degree angle from the trunk floor is your amp. The amp gets sound from the HU by fiber optic (orange feed) and then outputs to the speakers by regular wire. This means that you will somehow have to get wires from your new HU to each individual speaker from your dash area. This I think has been done before, look around the forum and you will find someone who has done this. It's a lot of work, but where there's a will there's a way! Good luck and if you need someone to buy your old HU and amp setup let me know!
Old 01-04-2014, 04:29 PM

'05 S430, '05 S600
I think what you will have to do is run new wiring from behind your appradio along the transmission tunnel to the back to a new amp and then figure out which wires are which for your speakers from the current connector on the output side of your oem amp. Your new wires will come into the input of the new amp and then your current oem outputs would have to be spliced and landed into your new amp's outputs. Make sure your new amp is matched impedance-wise to your radio, speakers should be fine.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 PM

C55 AMG
I think what you will have to do is run new wiring from behind your appradio along the transmission tunnel to the back to a new amp and then figure out which wires are which for your speakers from the current connector on the output side of your oem amp. Your new wires will come into the input of the new amp and then your current oem outputs would have to be spliced and landed into your new amp's outputs. Make sure your new amp is matched impedance-wise to your radio, speakers should be fine.
Thanks for all your help! I actually found an interface from nav-TV corp that created a RCA to MOST adaptor so that I can keep all my oem stuff and do not need to run any additional wires! In happy about that but it wasn't cheap !!!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I will be surprised if the navtv unit works for your vehicle.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by jbondox
Oh no, why do you say that? Hopefully I didn't just waste $600.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM

C55 AMG
Yup, well i called them and they confirmed it will not work for my c-class. Back to square one.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 AM

C55 AMG
Duncan, yes I was right. Sorry I got the Bose/HK thing reversed but yes in your rear quarter panel pics, that black thing with all the heat sinks mounted at what looks like a 45 degree angle from the trunk floor is your amp. The amp gets sound from the HU by fiber optic (orange feed) and then outputs to the speakers by regular wire. This means that you will somehow have to get wires from your new HU to each individual speaker from your dash area. This I think has been done before, look around the forum and you will find someone who has done this. It's a lot of work, but where there's a will there's a way! Good luck and if you need someone to buy your old HU and amp setup let me know!
Since i'm getting all new stuff, i'll be selling my HU and amp. Make me an offer please.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 AM

C55 AMG
The head unit and amp is for sale if anybody wants it. Collecting dust in my garage right now.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 PM

'05 S430, '05 S600
Can you pm me a picture of what you have and how much you want for it? Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 11:44 AM

C55 AMG
Can you pm me a picture of what you have and how much you want for it? Thanks
PM sent! Thanks
Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 AM

C55 AMG
Hi Guys, since i've completely updated my radio in the car... i have a couple things laying around that i want to get rid of. Everything is in perfectly working condition.

6 Disc CD changer with mounting bracket - $70

Command DVD GPS Head unit model BB0510 originally costs $2K according to this site http://www.mbdoctor.com/store-front-...-827-4342.html - slashed down to $799 but i'll let it go for $500. Comes with the 2005 nav disc. Its a little heat wrinkled on some of the buttons but they all work perfectly. You can probably fix that easily.

You need a cradle for this which i did not have and bought it and could never use it. So its for sale of course... dongle $70

Harmon Kardon / Becker Amplifier it goes originally for $2700 http://www.mbdoctor.com/a1698208089.html but i'll let it go for $500. - i'll include the mounting bracket as well.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320
I found this information.
Attached Files
Old 03-07-2014, 03:51 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum
I found this information.
Thank you very much. Lots of good stuff in there.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 AM

C55 AMG
bumps
Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I hope you can get the money out of the old COMAND, I dont see it though as most people are replacing them as you did good luck!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 AM

C55 AMG
I hope you can get the money out of the old COMAND, I dont see it though as most people are replacing them as you did good luck!
haha thanks, i agree... some people still want to stick with it though. Who knows... its just taking up space in my garage. I thought at least the Amp would sell pretty quickly.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
did you try listing it on ebay? some people go there first before a limited few to a forum, it might depart your garage sooner.

Ii thought the same with the amps, i had a few dozen from the years of replacing systems, and just ended up tossing them. I knew somewhere in the bunch was an unlabeled bad one, and with my luck I would sell it off to a guy who was not understanding and tarnish my rep

How do you like the Pioneer? reliable? does it lag? work as advertised?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM

C55 AMG
I was thinking about eBay as a last resort so it looks like I'll give it a shot. I just don't like good money laying around in boxes... I still have over $1k worth of piggyback / meth kit laying in my garage from my previous car that I could never sell.

The app radio is disappointing in terms of the frequency of new apps available and current apps that is just OK. You of course has the ability to mirror your phone on the display, but the thing that sux is that you have to control everything on your phone... So you can't just plug the phone in and close it in the armrest or something... That's what pisses me off, if you are going to call it an app radio, it should really be able to run any app and touch control it from the HU.

There are some development going on where the jail broken iPhones can be just that... Essentially turning the 7" screen into an iPhone .

Now there are pretty cool features that I do like. I don't always have to plug my phone into it.. I do have Bluetooth streaming, and there are some free navigation apps I like and can control with the HU like Waze. It also has a normal radio tuner for those that need it.

Other than those things, the sound is pretty amazing with my HK speakers now that I finally have it dialed it in.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 AM

C55 AMG
Here's some youtubes of the different phones...

and IOS 7 isn't supported yet but here is the iphone 5 jailbroken
Old 04-23-2014, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Thanks for the videos and input

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer APP Radio 3(SPH-DA110) Install help please!