Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Passenger window not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 '95
Passenger window not working

I have a 1995 SL500 and the passenger window won't operate, which means I can't use the convertible top because the window won't go down. I just replaced the window switch, but still nothing. The driver side does work so I know it can't be the fuse. There's no humming in the door so the problem probably isnt there.

Does anyone have any idea's as to what I should try next?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Fuses for window operation

Sundance7000, welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by Sundance7000
The driver side does work so I know it can't be the fuse.
There are TWO window related fuses in the trunk. I just checked on my '97, and they are in position 1 and 2 (on the bottom of the row).

Each fuse is designated to a window. The lower fuse in position 1 is responsible for the left window, and the second one is responsible for the right window.

You could also have a bad window motor or a bad window relay in the soft top controller, but I would check fuse #2 first...

By the way, after replacing the fuse, you need to synchronize the related window in model years '95 and up. Usually, you can do that by closing the door, turning on the ignition, and pushing the window button UP for some three seconds. The window is synchronized if it drops some 10mm once you open the door.

Please let us know what you find.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 09-02-2014, 04:40 PM

SL500 '95
Aloha Klaus!

Thanks a bunch! It was the fuse that's located in the trunk. I feel so foolish not even bothering to check it, assuming if one window is working, it can't be the fuse since I thought both windows used the same fuse.

Alls good now and I'm once again able to use my convertible top now that the window goes down!

Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Originally Posted by Sundance7000
Aloha Klaus!

Thanks a bunch! It was the fuse that's located in the trunk. I feel so foolish not even bothering to check it, assuming if one window is working, it can't be the fuse since I thought both windows used the same fuse.

Alls good now and I'm once again able to use my convertible top now that the window goes down!

Thanks again!
Sundance7000, sounds like you are in Hawaii?

I'm glad that all is well again - isn't it nice that it was just a fuse? If the fuse trips again, then you may have a problem with the window motor or a window that is really hard to move. Do left and right window move up at the same speed?

No need to feel foolish. Most people wouldn't expect separate fuses for the window motors. The good part is that you found this forum and took the time to create the thread, plus you were kind enough to let all of us know what you found.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 PM

SL500 '95
Hi Klaus, Since you are so helpful in response to my previous issue, I was hoping you could share some thoughts on the following:

My battery recently died and needed recharging on my SL 500 1995. The rollbar now will not go back down. It clicks when I push the down button and it also clicks when I push the up button, but it does not move. I had hydraulic problems, leakage with my soft top and I suspect that's the issue with my rollbar as I smelled hydraulic fluid and there appears to be a tiny puddle under the car. My question to you is, can the rollbar be manually dropped down in a similar way that the soft top can be brought up or down manually?

Thank you,

Nelson