Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

SRS - Airbag Replacement - CL203 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CL203 C200 Kompressor
SRS - Airbag Replacement - CL203 Coupe

Situation:
05/2002 CL203 C200 Kompressor Coupe hit bank deploying passenger and driver airbags due to impact to cross member. All other airbags (side and curtain) remain intact.

Task:
Replace front passenger and driver horn pad airbag, Control Module (ECU) and Contact Unit (Squibb), dashpad, seat belt pretensioners and seat belts (as a precaution) from donor wreck with no SRS components deployed.

Repair car: 05/2002 CL203 C200 Kompressor Coupe (Auto) (VIN: WBD2037452A367472).

Donor car: 10/2002 CL203 C180 Kompressor Coupe (Manual) (VIN:WDB2037462A430593).

Progress:
  • Dashpad with passenger airbag unit installed and reconnected using the existing yellow and green connectors.
  • Control Module/ECU installed and reconnected using the existing yellow connector.
Considerations:
Deployed Passenger SRS Unit Part Number - TBA
Replaced Passenger SRS Unit Part Number - 203 860 29 05 (fits and connects to original plugs)

Deployed Driver SRS Unit Part Number - TBA
Replaced Driver SRS Unit Part Number - TBA

Deployed Driver Contact Unit (Squibb) SRS Unit Part Number -
Replaced Driver Contact Unit (Squibb) SRS Unit Part Number - A209 5400 01 45

Deployed ECU SRS Control Module Part Number - 001 820 97 26
Replaced ECU SRS Control Module Part Number - 203 820 64 85 (fits and connects to original plugs)

Issues:
The Contact Unit (Squibb) from the donor car is incorporated into the steering wheel shroud, and has one plug to the steering column wiring harness. The steering column in both cars have different screw mounts and wiring connectors for the squibb.

So, I could fit the replacement driver airbag unit if the wiring connector and circuit board behind the unit were swapped over. This does not interfere with the airbag.

Questions:
  1. Can I swap the electrical connector board over from the deployed driver airbag to the replacement one (under the spring unit) so that it can plug back into the original harness?
  2. Although the ECU/Module and passenger airbag fit, they have different part numbers, will this be an issue?
  3. Why are the driver airbag components different on a car only five months apart?
  4. Will parts from a W203 sedan fit?
  5. Any suggestions as to how I can salvage this without buying both a driver airbag and a squibb.
I have posted photos to explain the above, and will complete the part numbers above soon when I re-inspect the car.

Any assistance would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank you,

James

*** UPDATE ***
I think that I have found a solution to this problem:

I can change the electronic board and horn pad switches from the deployed airbag unit and install them into the replacement airbag unit. This would enable the existing contact unit plug to be reinserted into the wiring harness connector.

I am sure that this will not affect the performance or integrity of the airbag, as the main unit is not being touched.

Also, is it possible to re-use the contact unit (squibb) on the CL203 (W203)?

I have attached some pix, and would appreciate some feedback to help me get my Benz back on the road.

Thank you,

James

Last edited by KompressorBoy14; 09-23-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CL203 C200 Kompressor
???

Does anyone know of another forum/site that can answer this question?

Please?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
wrong sub forum

Ths is the sub forum for audio stuff, updating firmware for OEM nav and headunits, replacing OEM with after market HU, amps and speakers. Making changes to your wireless key fob or alarm or security system installs. You want to be in the tech talk sub forum. Good luck.