Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Upgrading my poor E200 sound system with original subwoofer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200 CDI, W211 Y08
Upgrading my poor E200 sound system with original subwoofer

Hi Folks,

I've a 2008 (probably made 2007) E200 CDI which started its good years serving as a Taxi in Israel, with 445,000Km on its odometer I bought this beauty, cleaned it up and started to think how to improve it.

First thing on the list (even before getting the taxi) was ordering a Dynavin headunit (http://www.chinagpsauto.com/sdp/2121741/4/pd-6956363/12542463-2661287/In_stock_auto_radio_for_S100_Mercedes_Benz_E_Class .html)

I've installed it myself (no brainier really..) and now I'm looking to upgrade the quality of the sound.

The first thing that come to mind is to install a sub-woofer and appropriate amplifier. I'm not looking to invest heavily and I would like to keep the trunk unmodified.

I'm thinking about buying second hand original subwoofer http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAP-W211-MERCEDES-03-06-E-CLASS-REAR-CENTER-DECK-LID-SUB-WOOFER-SPEAKER-4-/141388637140?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20eb6b63d4&vxp=mtr
and install it in it's original location. The Dynavin HU has a separate subwoofer output (RCA) which I can route to the back.

As I don't have any amplifier built into my car (taxi driver version is basic on this stuff) I'm looking to but the amp required and wire the whole thing (might use a pro installer although my DIY spirit will try to avoid it)

So, need good advise:
1. Does my plan sounds ok?
2. Should I buy a mono amp for the subwoofer?
3. Any recommendation for special model?
4. Also, the original subwoofer also have two small units which seems like normal speakers. so should I connect them to rear left and rear right output from the cord tucked in the left panel of the trunk?

Any help will be welcome.

Moshe