Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dension/Enfig D2B Gateway Lite 500 (GWL1DB1) and 2005 ml-350...help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 special edition
Dension/Enfig D2B Gateway Lite 500 (GWL1DB1) and 2005 ml-350...help!

Hi guys,

I have just recently bought a beautiful black/black Ml-350 and decided to spice up the audio options as I was usually forced to listen to pandora with headphones while driving.

I have purchased the aformentioned setup (also linked here - http://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_D2B_AUX.html)

I just setup everything up according to the instructions and numerous videos. The kicker is that one of the video's that Christian from Enfig shows, is of the exact same year/model as mine, but he doesn't show the actual installation of it for this car. Long story short, I know it's doable.

I have been troubleshooting for hours now, and I'm surprised at the lack of info out there for this specific setup, but regardless, it seems like I need to bypass the CD changer in order for the gateway to "take over" and use the CD interface for the AUX output. I have tried disconnecting the fiber optic cable from the CD changer, I have tried to disconnect power as well, and combinations of the two. No matter what I do, the result is always the same, the COMAND software then just says "no cd inserted" (talking about the single CD slot on the actual head unit). Also, unless the CD changer in the back is powered on and connected, my radio doesn't work.

So I'm caught between a rock and a hard place where I need to bypass the cd changer, but also need it connected somehow (whether this has to do with simply making sure the FO loop is closed or not, I'm not too sure.)

I have verified that the 3 wires (ground,12 V and wake up) are all tapped into the correct target wires, so I know it's not that. I almost feel like the entire unit (gateway) is dead, as now with everything setup and the gateway now in the FO loop, there is literally no difference in the capabilites.

Does anyone know once you have everything hooked up if you are able to simply plug in an aux device, play music and it should switch? Specifically, the manual says to hit "CD" on the headunit, and it will take over from there, but again, it goes right to the CD Magazine and if that's disconnected, it goes to the single CD slot on the head unit.

Am I missing something? Does the CD magazine/changer require something specific in terms of bypassing? Does it need to be bypassed in the first place?

2005 ML-350 Bose COMAND 2.0

Any help and/or tips is greatly appreciated. I reached out to Enfig support, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Thank you!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:11 AM

ML350 special edition
So I think I know what I'm missing. Turns out Enfig sent me a loopback connector for the FO loop, however it's the male piece, where as I would need a female piece to connect to the cable that runs to the CD changer. That way, It still runs to something, but that something is right back to the head-unit not and not the CDC.

Ordered it on Amazon for 20 bucks, but won't be here for a week. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:31 AM

ML350 special edition
Got the female piece for the loopback but it doesn't make a difference. It has to be setup correctly, and something is just DOA. I'll be trying to call enfig for support. Really wish they had proper documentation on how to work around this. All I hear is trouble with bypassing the CDC
Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 PM

Ml55
Hi Dazadeen were you able to figure out finally how to get Dension Unit working? I am facing the exact same problem.
Nichola
Old 10-22-2015, 04:13 PM

ML350 special edition
Hi Nichola,

So long story short. I ended up calling Christian from Enfig and after explaining to him what the issue was and what kind of car I had, he basically told me that my exact car (2005 ML350 Special edition) is his "mystery car". After talking further it turns out he has set these things up only on 2 cars that match my exact category. On one of them, it worked, and on the other one it simply didn't.

If I remember correctly he said that the way he got it to work on one of them is by bypassing the CDC completely and doing some wire splicing etc. It's been so long I don't remember the details, but he was going to charge me about 100 bucks to do it, it would take hours, and I would have to drive to NJ (in NH currently) during the week to get it done. At that point I figured it wasn't worth it and simply asked for a return.

I am recently revisiting this and might just get a completely new head unit now that I can afford it. Hopefully this process is a lot less difficult to setup.

Hope this helped!

DaZ
Old 12-14-2016, 05:06 PM

2000 S500 Almandine Black Metallic
Any chance you still have the Dension/Enfig unit and want to sell it?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:07 PM

ML350 special edition
Sorry, that unit is long gone.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
2005, jettison that antique, install a new double-din, bypass the amp which is above the break pedal. why throw a dension band-aid at a turd or a radio to begin with?
Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Just added a Kenwood ddx9703s to my wife's vehicle, kids have android phones with android auto, she has iphone. radio does carplay and androidauto. video, steering wheel controls, bluetooth, camera and touchscreen.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by jbondox
Just added a Kenwood ddx9703s to my wife's vehicle, kids have android phones with android auto, she has iphone. radio does carplay and androidauto. video, steering wheel controls, bluetooth, camera and touchscreen.
Did you use the iDatalink Maestro RR? It does not appear to work with Mercedes.