Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2005 SL350 (R230) Aircon Inop - B1269 & B1059

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E280 CDI Sport
2005 SL350 (R230) Aircon Inop - B1269 & B1059

Hi, posted here as I believe I have an electronic fault ...
The Air Conditioning on my 2005 SL350 does not work where I, this afternoon, had the systems purged plus re-gassed - the system was completely empty and I don't know for how long. However, the AirCon System still does not work where the fault codes presented are B1269 and B1059. I am aware of the descriptions for these codes (at least I think I do), but what do I need to do to fix them? I pressume that one of these faults is stopping the Aircon from working.

Code B1269 = Communication Fault of A/C Bus with Control Unit B31/1 ... this code, when cleared, comes back again.
Code B1059 = Fault in CAN (SAM FL) ... this code may have now cleared, would need to re-check.

Back to my question ... it is one thing to have a fault code, but what do I need to do to fix them? Also, would these faults stop the aircon working, or do I have another yet unidentified fault?

Great if somebody could offer a solution/fix. Thanks

Wolfgang Souter
Westbury, Wiltshire, UK
2005 SL350 (R230)
Old 04-25-2022, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by wolfieg38
Hi, posted here as I believe I have an electronic fault ...
The Air Conditioning on my 2005 SL350 does not work where I, this afternoon, had the systems purged plus re-gassed - the system was completely empty and I don't know for how long. However, the AirCon System still does not work where the fault codes presented are B1269 and B1059. I am aware of the descriptions for these codes (at least I think I do), but what do I need to do to fix them? I pressume that one of these faults is stopping the Aircon from working.

Code B1269 = Communication Fault of A/C Bus with Control Unit B31/1 ... this code, when cleared, comes back again.
Code B1059 = Fault in CAN (SAM FL) ... this code may have now cleared, would need to re-check.

Back to my question ... it is one thing to have a fault code, but what do I need to do to fix them? Also, would these faults stop the aircon working, or do I have another yet unidentified fault?

Great if somebody could offer a solution/fix. Thanks

Wolfgang Souter
Westbury, Wiltshire, UK
2005 SL350 (R230)
bumping this old thread as my AC stopped working on my 2004 SL55 and using my icarsoft scanner it shows AC codes of B1059-000 (and -001) Fault in CAN communication with Control Unit river Signal Acquisition and Actuation Module.

AC blows warm and when attempting to recharge it using one of those cans of R134 it shows the refrigerant is low but wont take any refill / charge when I attempt to fill it.

If anyone can help me sort out this issue it would be greatly appreciated.... or even determine where the CAN / Control unit is that this is referring to. I read somewhere that its in the passenger footwell area but havent checked for it yet.

Thank you.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,192 Likes on 917 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500, 2004 Audi TT225
I don't know the answer to your problem, but I will say that you shouldn't just "top off" the refrigerant in your car. You A/C system specifies and precise amount (+/-) of R134 by weight that you should use. It's best to evacuate the system and refill using the specified amount. Too much or too little can cause the system to malfunction.

That said, in your case it may be a loose or broken connection. Or has any water infiltrated the car. The drain for the water catch under the passenger side hood vent can become clogged over time and after a good rain can overflow into the interior of the car. Check the carpeting for signs of water infiltration.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by JettaRed
I don't know the answer to your problem, but I will say that you shouldn't just "top off" the refrigerant in your car. You A/C system specifies and precise amount (+/-) of R134 by weight that you should use. It's best to evacuate the system and refill using the specified amount. Too much or too little can cause the system to malfunction.

That said, in your case it may be a loose or broken connection. Or has any water infiltrated the car. The drain for the water catch under the passenger side hood vent can become clogged over time and after a good rain can overflow into the interior of the car. Check the carpeting for signs of water infiltration.
JettaRed - thanks for the input here. I agree its not good to just top off the refrigerant, but I was taking an attempt at that to see if it was a simple/quick fix which unfortunately its not.

Is the SAM that controls the AC located in the passenger footwell area? I havent had water there but I did have a slight issue with trans fluid wicking on the TCU module but that sits on the exterior side wall and I cleaned that up months ago and didnt see any signs of moisture there.

I found another code B1640 "The component or the Signal Line to the Component A9/AC Compressor has a short circuit to ground or open circuit so seems the issue is definitely the SAM.

I'll take a shot at pulling up the passenger carpet to see if I can locate that front passenger SAM module and check it for moisture damage