Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Need a little help from a W211 Audio Expert (aftermarket install)

Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
Need a little help from a W211 Audio Expert (aftermarket install)

I'm hoping someone who has done an aftermarket install on a W211 can help me out here with a minor little issue: I want my head unit to remain on after I shut off the engine, until I remove the key from the ignition.

Patient: Facelifted (2008) E350 originally equipped with COMAND NAV & Logic 7 system
After surgery: Kenwood DNN922 HU using factory audio via Opti-1 interface.

Prior to the upgrade, the sound system would remain powered after I shut off the engine, as long as I left the key in the ignition. Once I removed the key, it would power down.

After installing the Kenwood HU, it powers down as soon as I turn off the ignition. Call it petty, but I really liked that feature. Can someone tell me how to rewire it to re-enable this feature? I know it can be done, as I've read about a couple of people who managed to make it work. Unfortunately, they gave no info as to how they wired it to make it work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
probably because it is the internet! I will tell you i have 6 Maybachs in the backyard

I have no knowledge of any retained accessory in your vehicle. everything is controlled via CANBUS

you could use a PAC TR7 relay controller and use the door trigger as the input to turn it off.

diode the door trigger so it doesn't feedback to the door
Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
Lol, I hear 'ya. Okay, wishful thinking on the retained accessory - that's what I get for believing everything on the internet. Sounds like too much trouble - easer to get used to turning the key and leaving it on accessory.

I read the ASWC1 booklet and after step 7 (end of auto-detection stage), then step 8 says to hold one of the phone buttons after the light goes solid. I misread that and was trying to do it during the auto-detection stage. I'll attempt it again. Thanks.

Last edited by EuroDriverSD; 02-09-2016 at 05:53 PM.