Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W163 Comand Navigation Internal Disk Drive Mechanism Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'04 ML350
W163 Comand Navigation Internal Disk Drive Mechanism Replacement

I'm getting a "Please Insert DVD" error on my ML with the Alpine MCS Comand Unit. These units are installed in some ML320 ML350 ML500 ML430 ML400 ML55. After a little while the screen changes to unable to read disk. Same for CDs. That said, I have had both the navigation DVD and CDs start to work on occasion after driving around for a while. The problem is almost always the laser. After doing some research, I have determined that the drive mechanism for these Alpine Nav drives is the same as a lot of Hondas, BMWs, VWs, Chryslers, etc. It is connected by the same ribbon connector and looks exactly like this http://opuradio.com/products-detail.php?ProId=335.

My question is if anyone has tried to swap one of these drives into a Mercedes. I have searched through different Mercedes forums and haven't seen any attempts. Only attempts at swapping the laser mechanism, which usually failes due to difficulty and calibration.

I determined that Acura owners have been successful doing this with the exact same drive mechanism in the following thread: http://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-au...errors-873489/

Anyone? Attached is a stock photo of the Comand unit I am referring to, NV4BN110.
Attached Thumbnails W163 Comand Navigation Internal Disk Drive Mechanism Replacement-mcs.jpg