Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Tapping a wire to the fuse panel question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Tapping a wire to the fuse panel question

I want to tap a wire from the fuse behind the driver side's fuel panel cover for the dash cam. The lowest fuse amp is the steering wheel vibration (10 amp). Is it possible to add a fuse tap to this fuse for the dash cam?

My existing wire that came with the dash cam is about 6 feet. I know most people used the cigarette light fuse to gain the power for the dash cam from the trunk.

I cannot find any retail stores selling a 20 feet mini usb to usb cable. So, I am thinking getting the 12v power from that steering wheel vibration fuse. This is the shortest distance to gain power from the car to the dash cam.

Can someone who have electrical knowledges advise any problems if I am running this route?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
what vehicle?

most side panels are constant power and should have a few empty slots to add a male spade with a fuse. Ignition can be found at front sam or cig lighter
Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 PM

The car is 14 E COUPE. I did the installation last week. I added the dual fuse tap to the cigarette fuse in the trunk.

When I started the car, the dash cam would start.

I just need this basic connection.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
why all the way in the trunk? tap in the center console at the lighter. Well either way it is 12v, but why is not working? or is it working?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:58 PM

The reason is I do not want to touch the OEM electrical wires. Also, I believe all those eoropean cars may act weird if something detected by the computer. I add the fuse tap so that it is the safest way to to get power from the fuse. I did a lot of research before doing this DIY.

This is the easiest DIY IF someone wants to install a dash cam.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw 525i
ultraman, when you say you did research and decided to go with the trunk ligther plug... I am starting my research now and was wondering if there isnt any easier place to tap power such as sunvisor ligths, rain sensor, moonroof controls and dome ligths... did you read that any of the ignition-hot wires there will throw a code?

mine is a x204
Old 03-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by gcbmb
ultraman, when you say you did research and decided to go with the trunk ligther plug... I am starting my research now and was wondering if there isnt any easier place to tacp power such as sunvisor ligths, rain sensor, moonroof controls and dome ligths... did you read that any of the ignition-hot wires there will throw a code?

mine is a x204
I just want to turn on the dash cam when I started the vehicle. This is the reason I connect the power to the cigarette lighter fuse.

The dash cam comes with a 10 feet long cable. It is no way to hide the cable under the headliner if it tapped to the dome light console. In addition, I do not want to take risk cutting or tapping the wires under the dome light unit because it "may" screwed up the computer unit in the vehicle. In addition, I cannot guarantee if you buy a shorter aftermarket power cable to connect to the dash cam if you insist to tap the power from the dome light unit because the dash cam may flick the videos due to the length or gauge thickness and etc. from the aftermarket cable. I tried this before because I bought a 15 feet usb cable and the videos cannot be recorded due to ites extra length and the power between the dash cam and the fuse box caused interference and did not deliver enough amp to the dash cam.

The best place to tap a fuse from the vehicle is from the trunk's fuse box. If you want to get the full time power from the fuse box, you can tap a fuse from the power seat (refer to your fuse diagram). Never tap the fuse related to the air bag. Also you need to buy a dash cam power management kit to monitor the battery power to prevent draining the battery.

Just make the installation simple, connect the power from the trunk fuse box and you are done.

By the way, what is x204? You mean w204? There are lot of videos showing how to do the installation.