Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Accessing FLAC files from iPod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes E63
Accessing FLAC files from iPod

Hello everyone,

I just upgraded from a 2008 e550 to a 2012 e63, I am very happy with the car.

I am exploring the purchase of an iPod to utilize the wired media interface connection, I like the idea managing and viewing track selection using the vehicles interface. I have a large library of FLAC files and would like to load select albums onto the iPod and leave the device connected in the car. I understand I would need to get a 3rd party app to play the FLAC files on an iPod, but will the Mercedes media interface allow me to play the FLAC files with the work around app? Do I just need to suck it up and convert files to ALAC?

I know I am not the only that prefers to listen to lossless audio files. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS550, 1994 Chevy K1500
You could listen to the FLAC app via the AUX connector or bluetooth, but not control it via COMAND, except in a limited sense of skipping or repeating tracks. Of course, if you prefer to listen to lossless formats, bluetooth or the AUX connections would be unacceptable in quality. COMAND just controls iTunes via the media interface cable, it doesn't access other apps.

Probably best option is to convert to ALAC. Easy for me to say, eh?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Mustang GT
Not a Mercedes owner (just looking and comparing right now) but I couldn't help chime in on your lossless file question.

I'm just like you, I invested a lot of money in a custom Alpine stereo and I can't stand seeing my music go to waste with compression like mp3. But, I love the convenience of playlists and album art that the iPod offers - not to mention carrying all your favorite music in the palm of your hand. I even rebuilt my iPod to 500GB to hold enough.

iPod will play lossless WAV files and you can convert your Flac files without going through another compression algorithm so it comes out as perfect as it was originally in the Flac. The downside is that the files are Huge as in about 30mb per song (hence the need for an iPod with a lot of storage space). I think you can buy 256Gb iPod's from Apple now, those will work great.

The sound quality is incredible, well worth the effort. I use Media Monkey to make playlists and it will automatically convert your Flac files to WAV when you sync them to iPod.

Worked for me.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E450
Curious why you didn't convert FLAC to ALAC instead of WAV? It would save a ton of space and have the meta-data / cover art embedded in the file.

My previous car (2011 Cayenne) could only support WAV so I had to convert everything to WAV as well but my MY19 E450 Mercedes supports ALAC and FLAC very well, so I've standardized now on ALAC and if I download some FLAC I don't bother to convert to ALAC since those work fine for me.