Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Upgrading S430 Telephone System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Post Upgrading S430 Telephone System

I recently purchased a 2001 S430 which has the Timeport Motorola Cell Phone. I would like to be able to upgrade the system and utilize the Command System which is alread programmed in the vehicle. Reading through the many post which reference the GSM or UHI types of telephones. ALso, I have read about the MikBox and the system MercedesNL offers. The dealer offers the upgrades for a price of approximatley 1,500 dollars. This is an large sum of money to pay each time cell phones upgrades.
The other delima is I currently utilize Verizons and really like the service they have provided. So the main questions I need answered is will Mikbox or MercedesNL changes will allow me to use the V60i or 710 telephones. 2nd - If I purchased the MikBox or MercedesNL upgrades will they allow me to upgrade with a simple firmware upgrade. 3rd - Since I am deployed the availability of Audio Electronics Installers who will install this for my spouse until I return to the States.

Semper Fi,
Vincent Alexander
Old 01-17-2005, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by gunnyalex7051
I recently purchased a 2001 S430 which has the Timeport Motorola Cell Phone. I would like to be able to upgrade the system and utilize the Command System which is alread programmed in the vehicle. Reading through the many post which reference the GSM or UHI types of telephones. ALso, I have read about the MikBox and the system MercedesNL offers. The dealer offers the upgrades for a price of approximatley 1,500 dollars. This is an large sum of money to pay each time cell phones upgrades.
The other delima is I currently utilize Verizons and really like the service they have provided. So the main questions I need answered is will Mikbox or MercedesNL changes will allow me to use the V60i or 710 telephones. 2nd - If I purchased the MikBox or MercedesNL upgrades will they allow me to upgrade with a simple firmware upgrade. 3rd - Since I am deployed the availability of Audio Electronics Installers who will install this for my spouse until I return to the States.

Semper Fi,
Vincent Alexander

Hi, my recommendation would be for you to go with Mikbox, as this supports Verizon at a much better price point than any other solution, because you already have an old phone system installed. Mikbox uses your existing old phone system as its core and then makes it work with new phones. So it will be a lot cheaper to go with Mikbox, and you'll have more Verizon phones to choose from.

Our Verizon solution would be nearly $2000 installed because of the cost of the Verizon phones we support, and that we include everything for a "new" installation.

I don't have an installer to recommend for Mikbox though, it's usually a DIY sort of thing ... maybe some of the other members can pipe in here.

-s-
Old 01-18-2005, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
And pipe in I will, Scorchie!

Gunnyalex, the installation of a MikBox is very simple - it is a 30 minute do-it-yourself project if you buy the parts from MIK. He provides cables and connectors already adapted to the task, making it very easy. See http://forums.mbnz.org/publications/pub.asp?id=317 for installation in a 2000 S500 - which will look very much like your '01 S430.

If your wife were to print the publication at the link provided and give it to any competent car audio installer, my bet is he could do it in 20 minutes. You won't have to worry about the antenna parts upgrades - your car should have the dual band components already. I suggest getting the short cable for the hangup cup (cradle), rather than the long grey one. MIK will know what you mean.

Semper Fi to you - from an old USAF Buff pilot, now a lawyer at HQ USCG (Semper Paratus)!

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-18-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 AM

66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
Agreed - MikBox sounds best for your situation already having a fully functional but obsolete set-up. I cobbled together a system for my G w/ eBay parts. Still pretty cheap b/c used TimePort PSEs are plentiful as people upgraded to the V60. For a brand new car or a complete system at dealer prices I think the Scorchie/MBenzNL kits are awesome. Actually anything these guys recommend are great.

Mik also supports new phones and upgrading the firmware is pretty simple. If you have Verizon it can even be done over the air w/ built in functionality. It should work on other carriers also, I just had bad luck w/ Cingular and ATT. I update the firmware via a serial cable and a small utility. Works very well and it is great when new features debut. Install in the G was easy, my install is posted on Mik's website. I think the case may have changed slightly since I got mine.

I can't say enough about the support and customer care Mik has provided.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by mb230s
Agreed - MikBox sounds best for your situation already having a fully functional but obsolete set-up. I cobbled together a system for my G w/ eBay parts. Still pretty cheap b/c used TimePort PSEs are plentiful as people upgraded to the V60. For a brand new car or a complete system at dealer prices I think the Scorchie/MBenzNL kits are awesome. Actually anything these guys recommend are great.

Mik also supports new phones and upgrading the firmware is pretty simple. If you have Verizon it can even be done over the air w/ built in functionality. It should work on other carriers also, I just had bad luck w/ Cingular and ATT. I update the firmware via a serial cable and a small utility. Works very well and it is great when new features debut. Install in the G was easy, my install is posted on Mik's website. I think the case may have changed slightly since I got mine.

I can't say enough about the support and customer care Mik has provided.
Mik is very good at responding back to my emails. I am very close on getting my local dealer to support my phone if I get the mik-box kit.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:46 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
Finally what did ou do with the phone??
Old 03-28-2005, 10:04 PM

S430
I never upgrade the system. Cell Phones come and go so quickly, I decided to go with the Blue Tooth Headset for my Cellular. From all the posting I have read about Mikbox, it is the way to go.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I agree, I already went thru a few phones myself. Right now I am using a Motorola V635. In the past, V500, V600, MPX220, and now the one mentioned before.