Automotive Leasing & Financing Discuss the leasing and financing of your Mercedes-Benz.

Lease Return - tire wear charges (penalties)

Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E420
Lease Return - tire wear charges (penalties)

Hi All,
This is the 1st vehicle I have ever leased and I'm seeking real life experiences from owners when returning their MB leases, specifically for tire wear. Has anyone been charged for tires upon turning in their lease?

My lease is for 36 mos, 45k miles. At that time, I assume the Michelin MOE (run flats) will be close to bald. If I am going to be charged several hundred dollars, I might as well put on 4 new tires now (since I really hate the ride noise and ride quality of the Michelin MOE).

My other general lease return questions are:
Who does the inspection or determines if there are any penalties (is it a corporate MB guy, someone from the specific dealership, or some 3rd party guy)?
Does it matter which dealership I return to? (Is there variability? Or will I get less hassle and less penalty from certain dealership?)
Is the inspection very rigorous, or are they looking for obvious damage and neglect?

I live in So Cal, so there are many dealers in my area where I can return (I leased from Downtown LA Motors).

Thx,
Joe
Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C3004W
I have leased two MBs and in each instance an employee of my MB dealership inspected the car and determined the car's condition. It happened very fast and was easy. But both my cars were in very good condition.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E350, 2010 GL550
There is a person at the dealer that checks it in and the guidelines are that tires can be completely bald but as long as no chord or belts are showing you will not be charged and the brand of tire does not matter if you do end up replacing. Dings dents scratches need to be less than a credit card and the CEL and service light can't be on. If there's any type of malfunction on id take it to service for an appointment for that issue and then once it's written up go and turn the car in while in their possession just so that you've CYA. If the dealer does not purchase the vehicle for their own inventory and Mercedes comes to collect the car to send to auction someone else will inspect the car. At this point if they try to say you need to pay for something tell them that the dealer did not tell you own any issues and to provide proof. I went down that road with a CLK I leased a long time ago.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320
as long as the tires hold air, we will accept it without charge