Aviation Planes, Private Charters, Flight Lessons, and more

Topgun Days

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 (Gone but not forgotten), 2004 CLK55, 2008 911 C2S
Topgun Days

Wow, an aviation forum! Never knew this existed here!

Anyway, Dave "Bio" Baranek, a former F-14 RIO and Topgun instructor, recently wrote a book called "Topgun Days". His website is http://TopgunBio.com, where you can read about Dave and the book, and get some stories which were cut from the book when he was asked to shorten it.

The book can be ordered from Skyhorse Publishing, Amazon.com, or you can check if your local Barnes & Noble or Borders has it.

I just finished reading it the other day. What a great book! His writing will actually put you into the cockpit of the F-14 and F-5F. Plus, he was an instructor when they filmed the movie "Top Gun", and has some great stories about the making of the film.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Just noticed this post, years later I suppose. Great book! Met the author, "Bio" at the Tailhook reunion a couple years back, cool guy who had a lot of great stories. Having flown from Miramar myself, it was cool to read his book, and see how little has changed from the good old days, to modern day MCAS-style. Same great ranges to fly in, same awesome city (SD) to live in when you aren't flying grey fighters.