B-Class (W245) Discuss the new B-Class MPV: B200 Turbo, B200 CDI, B180 CDI, B150, B170, B200

Rattling noise at low rpms - Defective AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200 CDI
Rattling noise at low rpms - Defective AC Compressor

Hi all,

I have a problem with my B200 CDI, after a week i got the refrigerant filled in it it started making a really strange rattling noise at low rpms, the noise disappeared as soon the rpms were above ~1500..

With the mechanic we noticed the belt wasn't completely tight, so we changed out all pulleys and also the belt. Now the belt is perfect again.

Even with the new belt the rattling noise was still there, even if, of course it wasn't as bad as before.

In that occasion, with the car lifted, we pinpointed the rattling noise to be coming from the AC Compressor, and we found out the AC compressor pulley had a little play on it, which i guess is normal.

We found out the worse problem when we took the belt off the compressor and deactived it by pulling out the cable and by turning off the AC in the car (just to be sure it was really disconnected).

The compressor pulley/wheely thingy was not moving freely even if the compressor was disconnected (not engaged), to me it felt like it was engaged even though the compressor itself wasn´t connected at all... Anyhow it wasn't moving freely at all.. It felt like it was engaged as it needed some force for the wheel to be turned (more or less)

Now the real question comes.. Does anybody have experience with similar problems? Do i really need to change the compressor to fix the problem or could it be fixed by changing only that pulley thing of the compressor?

Thanks in advance for the help!