B-Class (W245) Discuss the new B-Class MPV: B200 Turbo, B200 CDI, B180 CDI, B150, B170, B200

"Whirring" sound. Transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 B200
"Whirring" sound. Transmission?

Hey guys,

I've got a 2008 B200. Non turbo. The car makes this very strange sound when idling. If In park or neutral the sound is evident. If In reverse and drive (and idling) it goes away until I give it a little gas. It is a CVT. I'm a little worried it is a bearing in the transmission. Here is a video I just posted:

Hopefully you can hear what I'm talking about. Let me know if anyone needs any more info.

Thanks
Josh
Old 11-21-2016, 05:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I might be completely off the mark here, but I do know that, worn engine mounts are known to produce all sorts of weird sounds and errors, like transmission going into a limp mode on accelerating from traffic lights, or whirring / whistling noises and bangs, seemingly unrelated, etc. Easy enough to check, and might be the actual culprit, particularly given your mileage ...
Old 11-21-2016, 05:56 AM

2008 B200
Certainly something I could investigate. Now that you say that, another issue I have is that the shifter (automatic) will stick sometimes when going from drive up to park. I wonder if it's due to the transmission mount causing it to sit funny. Any good tips for diagnosing those mounts? Just a visual inspection for worn/degraded rubber if I can see them?

Also, just for clarity, the CEL is P0170, fuel trim error. Haven't figured that one out either yet. I just bought the car in September and have been working through the minor issues.

Thanks
Josh
Old 11-21-2016, 06:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm totally useless at any tips for mechanical stuff, I'm afraid - I just repeated what I heard / learnt from experts

The front engine mounts are visible in my C169, should be even more accessible in W245, as it's the same engine in a larger bay?
Old 12-25-2016, 10:10 PM

2011 B-Class 200 Turbo
Where are you located Josh?

And is it getting worse?