Cracked Daytime Running LED lamps + Cracked Rim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
Cracked Daytime Running LED lamps + Cracked Rim

Running into a bit of bad luck with the car, but is there any way to just replace the plastic cover of the LED lamp? It's throwing a "Check left daytime running LED lamp" error and about 75% of the time it doesn't turn on. I'm hoping to replace just the plastic cover before the condensation fries out the wiring and the LED assembly. I got quoted $330 from my MB dealer which is ridiculous.

Also, my wheel cracked which caused a slow leak, but then it's aftermarket and it's not really an MB issue:

Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 PM

2012 Mercedes c250
dayum sorry, but if i were you i would tape that whole up so that water doesnt get into it and effect any electronical things.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM

2012 C350 Coupe
What kind of rim do you have? How did you do that to it?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Ouch - that rim looks like it needs replacing... As far as the LED goes - if you are already getting an error message and sometimes it fails to light up - it probably means that some LED were knocked loose and it needs replacement. Stinks :-(

You can try to just replace the glass, bring it to the dealer and paly stupid as to why it doesn't light up! lmao.

It comes out very easy - 3 torx screws from the front. I believe T20 size?

I can't find 2012 parts on the discount sites yet - sorry!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by lookinbarrel
What kind of rim do you have? How did you do that to it?
Forgestar F14, 19x10" rear. Valet in Vegas curbed it (I saw the curb rash on the outside of the rim), but the crack was on the inside so I didn't see. Didn't start the slow leak until at least 3 weeks after it happened. Tires are perfectly fine. I got my replacement on order now.

In terms of the LED strip, I was going "time attack" mode from LA to Big Bear (ski slopes) in the wee hours of the morning. Full throttle, sport mode, nobody ahead of me, and I probably just hit some rocks or something. Are these LED strips that fragile? I do hit over 100-125mph occasionally so I don't want to always have to worry about them. I might just lower the comprehensive deductible to $100 on my insurance policy so I can claim road hazard whenever I have something like that break.

I took a closer look at the setup and saw the 3 torx screws. I got the schematics from the parts department and saw that it's an easy plug and play. When I have time this weekend I'll pick up a torx screwdriver (home depot?) and remove it, disassemble it, and try to do a quick fix (maybe even epoxy the holes temporarily?) Yeah it's ghetto but at least it's less than $350.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Do these plastic covers run hot?

After you fix these covers, maybe you should consider to cover them with 3M film. The same material they use for the clear bra.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I was hoping that these were plastic or better quality glass. I know on the pre-facelift w204's, the foglight glass would crack ALL the time.

The solution was to get "Lamin-X" to cover it, which can be had in clear, or tinted (as well as a variety of colors, yellow, blue, etc). This solved the problem and prevented more cracks... Guess I'll be ordering some film...

EDIT: They don't yet have pre-cut films for the DRL, so I guess for now you will have to order the universal sheet: 4"x24" and cutout two films for the LED's...
http://www.lamin-x.com/Smoked-Brake-...er-p/1-424.htm

FYI: The "mil" refers to the thickness. I have only used 12mil, and have had no issues/cracking. But if you go clear, 8mil is probably sufficient. Especially since I hope that these LED covers won't crack as often and this is a rare case (especially since OP drives 125+ on roads covered with hazards, etc).

Last edited by jctevere; 02-07-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:48 PM

jc, these are plastic. I'll definitely consider the Lamin-X. Thanks for the link. I'll probably opt for the 8mil clear, but tempted to get optic blue (although that will be illegal-ish in California). I'll probably want to invoke my road hazard warranty to cover this damage (hopefully my cracked rim too).

FYI, I don't necessarily drive 125mph+ on roads covered with hazards (that would destroy my rims) since I'm not insane in a C250 with questionable brakes. When the daytime running LEDs were cracked, I was probably going from 40-80mph on mountain roads with a speed limit of 40-55mph (I don't think it's that bad to hit 80mph on long straightaways). I'll only hit 125+ for short spans for fun on my way to/from Vegas which IMO is a relatively hazard-free road where everyone is easy going 80mph+.

Originally Posted by jctevere
I was hoping that these were plastic or better quality glass. I know on the pre-facelift w204's, the foglight glass would crack ALL the time.

The solution was to get "Lamin-X" to cover it, which can be had in clear, or tinted (as well as a variety of colors, yellow, blue, etc). This solved the problem and prevented more cracks... Guess I'll be ordering some film...

EDIT: They don't yet have pre-cut films for the DRL, so I guess for now you will have to order the universal sheet: 4"x24" and cutout two films for the LED's...
http://www.lamin-x.com/Smoked-Brake-...er-p/1-424.htm

FYI: The "mil" refers to the thickness. I have only used 12mil, and have had no issues/cracking. But if you go clear, 8mil is probably sufficient. Especially since I hope that these LED covers won't crack as often and this is a rare case (especially since OP drives 125+ on roads covered with hazards, etc).
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM

2012 Mercedes Benz C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by slktyperice
Running into a bit of bad luck with the car, but is there any way to just replace the plastic cover of the LED lamp? It's throwing a "Check left daytime running LED lamp" error and about 75% of the time it doesn't turn on. I'm hoping to replace just the plastic cover before the condensation fries out the wiring and the LED assembly. I got quoted $330 from my MB dealer which is ridiculous.

Also, my wheel cracked which caused a slow leak, but then it's aftermarket and it's not really an MB issue:

Same thing happened to me 2nd week in my C350. I have it taped with clear tape til I can get a fix for it. On close examination, these lights seem to be made of way too fragile material to be on the front of the vehicle. Did anyone find a replacement DRL at a reasonable price?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM

I've been out of the country on a business trip, so it's still broken. Now it doesn't even light up, and I'm still trying to find something <$300 to replace it.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:38 PM

S430
I think the OEM Part No. is 204 906 8900 (Right? side) and 204 906 8900 (Left? side) You can find these on ebay for about 40 USD. Good luck. These assemblies are ridiculous in price and place just right for rocks, etc. Crazy.