Crunching Sound - Something fell off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c180 coupe
Crunching Sound - Something fell off!

So I was driving to work today and was going through a roundabout in 2nd gear around 20mph, began to pick up speed into 3rd gear 30mph when a really loud crunching/grinding sound as if the gear hadn't properly engaged but I continued to accelerate and the noise went away and then returned again at which point I could hear something fall off and hit the road which was surprisingly loud considering the speed I was travelling and the radio was on. I caught a glimpse of a metallic object bouncing on the road in my rear view mirror. I panicked slightly and stopped and returned to the same area hoping to retrieve whatever came off but had no joy couldn't see anything on the road. I continued driving on to work with no issues, gears working as normal and no problems going into reverse. Never encountered this before so have no idea what is wrong. I'm worried because something has came off and afraid it could be something vital... It sounded like the gears but the noise could have been anything. Any help appreciated before I take the car to a Mercedes garage.

Thanks

C180 coupe
Manual
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Might have been something your tire picked up on the road and then it flew off. If everything is working fine now I would leave it until something actually is wrong all the time.