CUSTOM EXHAUST + SMOG

Old 12-13-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250
CUSTOM EXHAUST + SMOG

hello everyone,

i just purchased a 2014 C250 coupe (w204) and i was wondering if i delete the both cats, resonator and mufflers and straight pipe the rest with new amg tips will this mess up my smog? and is there a way to customize my exhaust and still be ok with smog? i'm in california btw
Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Yeah, NO is your answer. You may be able to remove the mufflers only and be ok but I doubt even that is legal in Cali. Removing your cats is illegal everywhere they have emmisions. If you are referring to the secondary cats (the small ones right before the resonator, the factory considers them cats and therefore cannot be removed. I'm in PA and I can't legally remove those secondary cats as they are considered cats even though they are not. My local shop won't do it and they were more than happy to remove the resonator
Old 12-13-2016, 10:39 AM

2014 C250
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
Yeah, NO is your answer. You may be able to remove the mufflers only and be ok but I doubt even that is legal in Cali. Removing your cats is illegal everywhere they have emmisions. If you are referring to the secondary cats (the small ones right before the resonator, the factory considers them cats and therefore cannot be removed. I'm in PA and I can't legally remove those secondary cats as they are considered cats even though they are not. My local shop won't do it and they were more than happy to remove the resonator
ok cool thanks. i knew taking all that off would be a no go but people are doing it and i was wondering if they passed smog but probably not. I was just making sure i wasn't missing something lol

im probably going to have to buy a expensive exhaust for my c250 like a Eisenmann cause that's all i see for the c250's that has dual exhaust with quad tips.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:21 PM

2015 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by shawty
hello everyone,

i just purchased a 2014 C250 coupe (w204) and i was wondering if i delete the both cats, resonator and mufflers and straight pipe the rest with new amg tips will this mess up my smog? and is there a way to customize my exhaust and still be ok with smog? i'm in california btw
I have a 2015 c250 coupe and had been knocking these very same questions around myself. Atlas is correct but I think it comes down to how much money and work do you want to put in.

I've talked to several people in the "great state" of CA about their exhaust and most of them have just done cat-back systems. Some however have done full kits and kept their old stuff to put back on when it comes time for smog and taking it into the dealer. The main thing is the CEL. If it's on you'll fail immediately.

I purchased a cat-back from Armytrix it's a valvetronic exhaust so I can switch back and forth between straight and non-straight pipes. It also comes with a toggle to plug in and clear any CEL codes. Haven't installed it yet so I can't report on weather it was a good purchase of a total waste of money.