C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

97 C280, Multifunction relay, replace or rewire? to get wiper/flasher/etc working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 C280, Multifunction relay, replace or rewire? to get wiper/flasher/etc working

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but not new to a 97 C280, which is having intermitant working flasher, wiper and turn signals. It seems to work OK when cool but stops working when car/weather gets warmer, which is daily here in Southern CA. I traced the problem to the multi-function relay, which is located just aft (towards the driver) of main fuse box in the engine compartment, and by wedging a piece of folded-up paper between the relay and fuse box case, it seems to fix it. So I think the problem is not from a defective or dirty relay (since it's sealed), but from by worned-out (loose) socket, perhaps due to aging plastic or MB cheap plastic material. Now, I like to fix it since I am making the C280 a daily driver (thanks to expensive $$$), but I am wondering, should I try plugging in a new relay ($80 on-line), which may not fix the problem if the socket is worned out/loose, or should I try to re-wire directly to the relay (by-passing the socket)? I would hate to re-wire because it's tough keeping elements/humidity out of it.

If you have experience with MB electrical repair, your opinion/suggestion is much appreciated. If you have similar problem on W202, hope my posting helps you find solutions (and avoid being taken by service shops). The relay described is a black BOSCH relay (with 5 pins, 4 silver and 1 black) located in the fuse box. To get to it, pull the fuse box open, and loosen the (5-6) screws holding fuse panel. There is a green relay (for fan I think) adjacent.

Thanks and hope to find good advice soon.

Last edited by ck90211; 09-01-2005 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Changing title