C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Low Coolant Level Light.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 C220
Low Coolant Level Light.

Warning Lights.
I figure since I'm blowing up the Forum with emails lately, I'll add another one to the fire.

I've got an intresting problem I've had for about 6 months and it's just a annoyance. Doesn't seem to harm anything.

My Low Coolant Level light came on, the coolant wasn't low, so I replaced the Level Censor. Problem didn't go away. About a day later, my Washer Fluid Level was low, and so THAT light came on, and low and behold, the Low Coolant Level Light went OFF.

I fill the Washer fluid back up, and the light goes off, and hey, the Coolant Level Light is back on.

To test it out, I started the car with the Washer Fluid Level sensor taken out of the resevoir, and of course, the light comes on my it's self no Coolant Level Light.. So I put it back in, the light goes out and hey, this way the Coolant Light does NOT come back on... so now I can make it were NEITHER light is on. But that seems like a bum-***** way to do it.

Anybody have thoughts.. I know it's got to be something simple.. and I am in no mood with the local Stealership to take it there if I can help it!
Old 08-09-2002, 01:29 PM

1997 C230
i have same experience with my dashboard indicators. the brake lights always come on once in a while. I check all bulbs aroound, and did not find any blown bulbs. I unscrew each bulb to test the brake warning light and found it is the center stop light cuasing the problem.

eventhough the center stop bulb is fine, but if i just unscrew and screw it back in, the stop light bulbs warning light will go off.

sometimes the power window auto down is not working, but if i turn the engine off and turn it back on. it is back to normal.

ver interesting and unbelieveable, but beside these minor electrical flaws, overall quality is excellent.

u just have to live with it.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:57 PM

'96 C220
I had the same problem with my 3rd brake light. It turned out that the contact on the bulb had gotten hot over time and sort of created an indention on the led. I replaced the bulb, problem hasn't been back.

As for the Coolant light, I don't know what it could be, I think all the dash indicators are on the same fuse. Atleast according to the diagram.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:02 PM

'96 C220
Here's a thought. I noticed that the sensor IN the Coolant Resevoir is floating freely, perhaps it's come apart and thus causing the problem??

Can anybody confirm what their resevoir float gauge looks like? Does it float freely or ride a side rail,etc? I never thought that might be the problem.