C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
2013 SL63 AMG
Arrow HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202

HOW TO:
Fit a C43 AMG front bumper skin to a W202
Fit & Connect the front fog lights.

Time taken:
2-3 Hours
Tools required:-13mm Socket, Small Philips screwdriver, Pliers, Electric Drill - another person for fitting it back on. & to make you food/drink as you go on.

Parts required:
C43 Front bumper & Connection kit/parts.
2x Front Foglights

1. Start removing your existing front bumper by unscrewing the 4 main 13mm bolts located as follows:

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit1.jpg

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit2.jpg

To gain access to the bottom 2, you will need to pull foward the bumper trim to expose the bolts.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit1a.jpg

2. With all 4 bolts removed (keep them safe!) and make your way to below the bumper, just infront of each wheel. You will spot 2x screws holding the mud guards in place. All 4 screws need to be removed.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit3.jpg

3. Now pull back the mud guards over the bumper as shown below. This will make the removal alot easier.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit4.jpg

4. Unclip the temp sensor from the front panel, it should just push through with a small amount of force.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit5.jpg

5. Your now ready to remove the front bumper, ideally with the help of a friend - start at one corner and pull forwards.
It is normal to hear a loud scraping sound as the bumper is mounted on 'rail's'.
No doubt one side will give you grief so keep tugging until it is free.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit6.jpg

Your old bumper is now off, place it down on a soft surface so that the corners arent scratched.
Id take this chance to give the newly exposed bodywork a clean as it will no doubt have 8+ years of dirt & possibly rust now visible.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit7.jpg

For those who are new to W202s, this is a good shot showning the differences in the standard facelift bumper agaist a C43 AMG bumper.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit8.jpg

Removing & refitting the Bumper 'skeleton'

6. Now, this is the start of the tricky processes. From now on we are trying to remove the old bumper frame/skeleton from the inside or your old bumper, to do this you should 1st start with removing the numberplate plinth.

It is held on by 2x small screws, 1st remove them & keep them safe.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
Arrow

With the screws removed, you need to unclip the plinth by pulling the 4 clips free of the bumper (see pic) - be careful as its easy to break them!

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit9.jpg

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit10.jpg

7. You can now start on uncliping the bumper mesh trim, mine is a Sport so I have 3 lots to remove. Elegance models only have the 2x side meshes.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit11.jpg

8. The 'Skeleton' should be ready for removal, on each side of the bumper 2 plastic plugs hold it in place. One at the top, the other at the bumper.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit12.jpg

Be careful! Make sure you have the correct bottom plugs and not the plugs which hold the 'Lip' of the bumper in place! See picture:

Unclipping them takes strength and time, if done correctly they shouldnt break!

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit13.jpg

9. With the sides unclipped, they are free of the bumper. You must now make you way across the bumper unclipping the rest of the skeleton:

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit14.jpg

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit15.jpg

With it free of the old bumper. Re-fit the skeleton back into its new home - The C43 bumper.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit16.jpg

10. This should be straightforward until you try and fit the bottom centre and sides of it.

You will need to saw/file out some small sections of the skeleton in order to have a plush fit See pictures:

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit17.jpg

With the skeleton fit in place, add the 3x foam inserts into the very top of the bumper. The large one in the centre, the 2 smaller ones ether side. They should fit smuggly.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit18.jpg

11. Once you happy with the fit, its now time to start on fitting your fog lights to the bumper.
With the screws/washers provided, attach the 1st screw as shown below:

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit19.jpg

Then with each fog positioned correctly, drill a small hole in each corner of the skeleton for the 2nd screw that will hold the lights correctly in place:

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit20.jpg

12. With both lights in place, attach the removable centre bar with the 2x plastic cables provided. This bar is removable for access to the towbar eye.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit21.jpg

Once attached correctly, press the bar into place until it clicks.

13. Now its time to re-attach the numberplate plinth, line it up correctly and use the drill to make 2x small holes for the screws to hold it in place.
Use tape to mark out where you want the frame as you dont want to get it wrong!

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit22.jpg

Your new bumper should look like this:

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit23.jpg

14. Before fitting the bumper back on, connect the 2x cables to both foglights. Shortly we will be connecting them upto the main headlight units.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit24.jpg

15. Refitting of the bumper is straightforward, but make sure you lay towels down on the floor & make sure someone can help you fit it back. Otherwise you risk dropping 1 side and scratching your brand new bumper!

With it in place, reconnect the temp sensor into the small hole, it should click back into place.

16. Connecting the fogs:

In order to connect power to your new fogs, you will need to access the power plug behind each of the headlights.

In theory, you should be able to reach round and unplug without removing the headlights, I had to remove them! due to the connectors having seized up. Removal of the headlights will be another HOWTO comming soon.

All you need to do is feed the power cable up to the back of the lights, connect them, and fit the existing plug into the back of the new cable.

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit25.jpg

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit28.jpg
The following users liked this post:
PSB (03-05-2018)
Old 02-20-2008, 04:29 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
Arrow

Once its all back together and connected, marvel at your C24 AMG wannabe

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit26.jpg

HOWTO: Fit a C43 AMG front bumper & fogs W202-fit27.jpg
Old 02-22-2008, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 E320 Estate (W210)
Nice instructions!!

You've got one hell of a bug problem though!! I've never gotten that many bugs splattered on my plate/bumper before!!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280
excellant write up!!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:11 PM

C280 SPORT
W202

Good morning I can know if you sell the ancient by shock
Old 06-16-2008, 05:55 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
???
Old 06-17-2008, 10:11 AM

99 Mercedes C230K Sport
Nice! I am planning to redo bodywork and paint job. When I do these, I will replace front and rear bumpers. I will think about your way!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:26 PM

brabus
HID in the fogs.

Nice write up! I actually have the wald bumper with the fogs, (similar idea tho) I was planning on getting the wire from the headlight unit to the fogs like you have shown, but I dont think think i could wire that to the hid's then to the fogs? Does anyone know if this would work at all or would id be better to skip the fog wires, and just splice into the foglight wires going to the headunit and wire them myself?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 AM
eek

W202 C200
Anybody know if the photos could be ressurected at all?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by eek
Anybody know if the photos could be ressurected at all?
They are?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 PM

1999 C43 AMG
I was not able to fit the "skeleton" into the new bumper Looks like my bumper is different than your or the c43 body kit bumper from duraflex is different than yours. Will post pics in a few days, after I finish with the transmission problems.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by c230kris
I was not able to fit the "skeleton" into the new bumper Looks like my bumper is different than your or the c43 body kit bumper from duraflex is different than yours. Will post pics in a few days, after I finish with the transmission problems.
Really? it should simply slot in. your car is a facelift model right? (should be as its a 97)
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM

1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by BBW
Really? it should simply slot in. your car is a facelift model right? (should be as its a 97)
U have some pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/ahhzv

Edit:
last 2 pics are from the body shop who this the paint without to assure that will fit. who would have thought?
took the bumper home, and tried to see what is wrong. This is a minor problem for me now, since my transmission would not shift out of 1st gear.

Last edited by c230kris; 03-01-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 PM

1997 C280 Sport
U have some pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/ahhzv

Edit:
last 2 pics are from the body shop who this the paint without to assure that will fit. who would have thought?
took the bumper home, and tried to see what is wrong. This is a minor problem for me now, since my transmission would not shift out of 1st gear.
Did you ever fit the duraflex c43 bumper? If yes was it difficult?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 AM

1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by thegame11
Did you ever fit the duraflex c43 bumper? If yes was it difficult?

I went to a body shop and they adapted some brackets from the old bumper on the duraflex ( mabye glue?) and now its fine, no issues , i payed 150 i think to be installed. It's been months since then... I could take it off ...has screws and see what they did but i am too lazy ...
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM

1997 C280 Sport
I went to a body shop and they adapted some brackets from the old bumper on the duraflex ( mabye glue?) and now its fine, no issues , i payed 150 i think to be installed. It's been months since then... I could take it off ...has screws and see what they did but i am too lazy ...
Do you have any pics? what was included in the kit?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 PM

Mercedes w202
Originally Posted by BBW
With the screws removed, you need to unclip the plinth by pulling the 4 clips free of the bumper (see pic) - be careful as its easy to break them!

7. You can now start on uncliping the bumper mesh trim, mine is a Sport so I have 3 lots to remove. Elegance models only have the 2x side meshes.

8. The 'Skeleton' should be ready for removal, on each side of the bumper 2 plastic plugs hold it in place. One at the top, the other at the bumper.

Be careful! Make sure you have the correct bottom plugs and not the plugs which hold the 'Lip' of the bumper in place! See picture:

Unclipping them takes strength and time, if done correctly they shouldnt break!

9. With the sides unclipped, they are free of the bumper. You must now make you way across the bumper unclipping the rest of the skeleton:

With it free of the old bumper. Re-fit the skeleton back into its new home - The C43 bumper.

10. This should be straightforward until you try and fit the bottom centre and sides of it.

You will need to saw/file out some small sections of the skeleton in order to have a plush fit See pictures:

With the skeleton fit in place, add the 3x foam inserts into the very top of the bumper. The large one in the centre, the 2 smaller ones ether side. They should fit smuggly.

11. Once you happy with the fit, its now time to start on fitting your fog lights to the bumper.
With the screws/washers provided, attach the 1st screw as shown below:

Then with each fog positioned correctly, drill a small hole in each corner of the skeleton for the 2nd screw that will hold the lights correctly in place:

12. With both lights in place, attach the removable centre bar with the 2x plastic cables provided. This bar is removable for access to the towbar eye.

Once attached correctly, press the bar into place until it clicks.

13. Now its time to re-attach the numberplate plinth, line it up correctly and use the drill to make 2x small holes for the screws to hold it in place.
Use tape to mark out where you want the frame as you dont want to get it wrong!

Your new bumper should look like this:

14. Before fitting the bumper back on, connect the 2x cables to both foglights. Shortly we will be connecting them upto the main headlight units.

15. Refitting of the bumper is straightforward, but make sure you lay towels down on the floor & make sure someone can help you fit it back. Otherwise you risk dropping 1 side and scratching your brand new bumper!

With it in place, reconnect the temp sensor into the small hole, it should click back into place.

16. Connecting the fogs:

In order to connect power to your new fogs, you will need to access the power plug behind each of the headlights.

In theory, you should be able to reach round and unplug without removing the headlights, I had to remove them! due to the connectors having seized up. Removal of the headlights will be another HOWTO comming soon.

All you need to do is feed the power cable up to the back of the lights, connect them, and fit the existing plug into the back of the new cable.

Please give me information , i need long list (joint) for bumper w202 c43 , i need thus part , where can i buy .....
Old 05-13-2016, 10:44 PM

Mercedes w202

I need part list for bumper w202 c43 ( i send a pic ) , can you give me information , if i want to buy ? Many thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 05:30 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
It is 8 years since I wrote this thread and I now have a CLS55 AMG your dealership will be able to supply you with partnumbers, however that bar is extremely expensive.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
I am not changing my bumper, but I will say the walk through was certainly one of the best I have seen posted for a DIY person to follow.