Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W202)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #1

Drives: 1995 C280
Car will not start. No spark at the plugs.

My 95 C280 will not start at all, not even a hint of the engine turning over. The starter cranks the flywheel but the engine does not start. I checked that there is voltage going to the ignition coils packs; And these are 3 new coil packs that i just installed. But there is no spark at the plugs, not even one of them. Can anyone help with advice? I'm kind of at a dead end now, not really sure what to do next.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

bchengwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #2

Drives: 1998 CLK 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchengwa View Post
My 95 C280 will not start at all, not even a hint of the engine turning over. The starter cranks the flywheel but the engine does not start. I checked that there is voltage going to the ignition coils packs; And these are 3 new coil packs that i just installed. But there is no spark at the plugs, not even one of them. Can anyone help with advice? I'm kind of at a dead end now, not really sure what to do next.
did you check the crankshaft position sensor?
enyce284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #3

Drives: 1995 C280
I have a new one in there, so I doubt that's the problem. Based on the wiring diagram for this car, it seems as if it could be the overload relay or the ECM. But I've been changing part after part to no avail. Would a bad overload relay prevent the car from starting altogether?
bchengwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #4

Drives: Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchengwa View Post
I have a new one in there, so I doubt that's the problem. Based on the wiring diagram for this car, it seems as if it could be the overload relay or the ECM. But I've been changing part after part to no avail. Would a bad overload relay prevent the car from starting altogether?
Yep, could very well be the OVP. It seems it's not a matter of if they fail but, when they fail. The older OVP's are known to be problematic on these cars. $65 part almost anywhere online.
socaleuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #5

had the same issue. had to run new wires back to the ecu from the crank sensor the wires had degraded which is common on these models The insulation had caused a short and once i replaced the bad set have had only one other problem now with a short going to the secondary o2 sensor. I also think it is a harness problem. I have been looking for a new harness but can't find one for under a grand. Replaced the harness on my 94 c220 for $500 and can't see double for the c280. I might just keep replacing wires as they short out.
ghatala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #6

Drives: 2003 E55, 2005 ML350, 1995 C220, 1996 C220, 1997 BMW 528i, 2003 SL55, 2000 Honda CRV, 2010 Honda CRV
OVP! Yup, after chasing into why my car four months ago just started to stall going 70mph on a highway. Then restarted three more times until it just won't start. I had the car towed to my house where I read about the CPS going bad as the culprit. Obviously, I took the path of most resistance because I never thought it would be the OVP relay; instead I went after the fuel pump relay, then the fuel pump, fuel filter. Then I changed the camshaft sensor (since it's cheap and easy), finally I dove in and ripped out the engine to get to the CPS buried behind the block and down under where the transmission is. No avail, I decided to 'just try' the OVP relay since I'm not even getting a spark at the ignition coil connector. I even thought maybe my ECU went bad! For under $60 for an OVP relay, it turned out to be the easiest fix, but I figure I tackle it the hardest way since I have over 300,000 miles on it and it's just getting it back to snuff again. I thought I share this experience because changing the crank position sensor was a dog for a '95 C220!
samho2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM

Tags
1998, c280, changing, crank, diagram, ecm, ecu, engine, mercedes, ml350, overload, relay, spark, start, wiring, won, wont