C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280
Old 06-10-2015, 02:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Complete Windshield Wiper Diagnostics and Repair Instructions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C-280 2003 BMW 330Ci Conv
Originally Posted by justjakinit2003
I just barely went through this issue with my 1999 C280. I would like to take a second to completely explain my experience from beginning (problem) to end (solution).

Initially, my wiper was occasionally sticking. At the time I was thinking that maybe the type of wiper that I bought from auto zone wasn't compatible or that maybe the windshield glass treatment that I was using was causing the rubber of the wiper not to slide as it normally would. Eventually the problem got worse and would completely stall. My wiper motor would continue to make noise as it attempted to force the wiper down and would eventually shut itself off. I would later have to get out of my car and reengage my wiper switch to the on and then off mode as I guided the blade back to its starting point so that it was no longer frozen in the middle of my windshield. At this point I decided that it was time to take a deeper look at what was going on with my wiper system. After reading about a million different forum posts I was able to find and create a very good path of diagnosing and fixing the problem.

***I will reference the following two links throughout. Don't worry about viewing yet. Just follow my path.

link A- http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/wiper.html
link B- http://members.lycos.nl/mbenz/windshield_wiper.htm
(link B actually explains another procedure but it has great pictures and directions of removing the MB wiper system as well as how to put it all back together so that it works)

First, I just want to familiarize everyone with the main parts that make up the MB wiper system. There are five main parts to the MB single wiper system.

1) First we start with the wiper arm, commonly called the windshield wiper, that everyone is familiar with.

2) Second, we move down to the mechanism that holds the wiper arm, which is technically called the Windshield Wiper Transmission but referred to as the wiper mechanism throughout the links. Strangely however, link B refers to the entire wiper system as the wiper mechanism and then later calls just the transmission the wiper system.....so keep in mind when reading (Viewable at the bottom center of your windshield and about the size of a small football.)

3) Next, we move down to the wiper linkage, which is referred to as the offset plate in link B. The wiper linkage or "offset plate" simply connects the wiper motor (#4 below) to the wiper transmission (take note, you cannot yet see this item without removal of the entire wiper system).

4) Then, we have the wiper motor, as mentioned above. The wiper motor drives the wiper linkage or "offset plate", which activates the wiper transmission, which moves the winshield wiper back and forth in order to remove snow or rain

5) Finally, we have the mounting bracket that holds the above parts 2, 3, and 4 all together and to your car.

Start here

1. It is very possible that the solution to your problem is just a quick five minute lube job of the wiper transmission. Take a look at link A for great directions and pictures of how to do this. If this is your problem then you are done.

If not....as was my case continue ahead

2. Your next problem could also have a fairly quick solution. Part # 3 above, the wiper linkage or "offset plate" connects to the wiper transmission and wiper motor by a pressed fit, secured by a nut. It is a very common occurrence that the nuts that hold the wiper linkage to the wiper motor and transmission eventually loosen and cause the linkage to slip out of correct positioning. If this happens it will cause your wiper blade to hesitate or stall because the linkage or "offset plate" has to be connected to the motor and transmission very tightly and in a marginally specific timing or position in reference to the motor and to the transmission. Take a look at link B to get an idea of how to remove the wiper system and reset the positioning of the linkage or "offset plate" in reference to the wiper transmission or "wiper mechanism" and wiper motor. But first before you do so you are going to want to pull the wiper transmission off of the wiper mounting bracket and inspect and lube the graphite gear found on the opposite side of what you lubed up in step #1. It is rare for this gear to be chewed up but if it is then you will be replacing the wiper transmission, which I have heard can cost around $ 700.00 for the OEM part and still possibly the linkage and motor
***Back to reseting and retighting the linkage "offset plate". remember that the surface of the linkage is a beveled pressed fit, so as long as the surfaces of the linkage aren't too chewed up you should be able to drive that nut on hard enough to achieve the necessary pressed fit. However, if the linkage is too chewed up from slipping for too long, you may have to buy a new linkage. The best deal that I found on this part was at http://https://www.autopartsway.com/secure/cart.cfm I think it was appx. $ 45.00 or $ 50.00

If you solved your problem here then great!! Many actually do. However, this was not the case for me. I waited too long to take these steps and eventually burned up the gears in my wiper motor. With what I know now this is how my problem slowly progressed. Initially my linkage slipped just a bit here and there so my wiper blade was hesitating occasionally until it slipped just enough to fully stall the wiper motor due to improper timing or configuration of the linkage in respect to the motor and transmission. The continual stalling of the motor leads to the gears inside of the motor burning up.... specifically the plastic or composite gear. This is typically how these wiper motors go bad. One of the gears inside is made out of a plastic looking material and it just gets chewed up when too heavy of a load is continually applied to the wiper system ie,. turning the wipers on before clearing the windshield of a nights worth of snowfall. And of course this leads to the slipping of the linkage as explained above.

3) If you are to this point then you are also replacing your motor. Ok, there is good news here however . The good news is that a generic wiper motor can be found online for a fraction of the cost. I used one made by Vemo, which actually works very well! This item costed me $ 95.00 compared to $ 300.00 plus for OEM. I purched that part from http://www.autopartswarehouse.com and the shipping was free. The other good news is that these motors can eventually wear out just from normal use. Thus by replacing it now you save yourself the headache later. Just follow the instructions from link B and you will get it.

I cannot go here B http://members.lycos.nl/mbenz/windshield_wiper.htm
Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
You still haven't said what's wrong with your car? a wiper motor is around $90-100.
you need a flat screw driver, a wrench, and correct socket with extension to unbolt the entire assembly. Once the assembly is off the car you can service it and/or change the motor.

Ok, please, where can I buy the motor for $90 ? Are you serious? cause I am serious, The dealer (STEALER) that the motor will not, never be sold separately, and that the Windshield "SYSTEM" is $671.82 plus I need to pay tax on top of that, and he will give me an entire system, then he pointed me to go to service advisor to find out labor to install, the Service Dept want $225.00 labor plus $19.00 disposal fee. So are talking about a thousand dollars to replace the windshield here? or are we not, so please tell us where is your $90.00 motor, and I will buy it right now! seriously!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 PM

I FIXED IT and cost me NOTHING

Originally Posted by phyberlink
Ok, please, where can I buy the motor for $90 ? Are you serious? cause I am serious, The dealer (STEALER) that the motor will not, never be sold separately, and that the Windshield "SYSTEM" is $671.82 plus I need to pay tax on top of that, and he will give me an entire system, then he pointed me to go to service advisor to find out labor to install, the Service Dept want $225.00 labor plus $19.00 disposal fee. So are talking about a thousand dollars to replace the windshield here? or are we not, so please tell us where is your $90.00 motor, and I will buy it right now! seriously!
My wiper will never park correctly where it should, it has been over 2 months now, when I turn off the wiper (switch) it parks at 10 O'clock in front of my face. So in view that the wiper works, it is not the motor, in view that the wiper works in all speeds, it is not the fuse or relay, so what is it then? Well today, I removed the whole assembly and put it on the floor and found that the aluminum RACK is broken, so the assembly is in two pieces, and so I fixed it, SEE PHOTOS, I drilled 4 holes on the rack, attached 2 brackets, and now the bracket feels very strong, I put everything back the way it was, and tested for the operation and all is successful, the wiper parks where it is supposed to, it cost me nothing, just 4 hours of my time in the garage. If the wiper will last 2 or 3 more years, I will be happy.
Attached Thumbnails Complete Windshield Wiper Diagnostics and Repair Instructions-wiper-rack-alluminum.jpg   Complete Windshield Wiper Diagnostics and Repair Instructions-wiper-rack-broken-w202.jpg  
Old 05-21-2015, 02:18 PM

2003 E320
Question wipers not working

I have a 2003 E320 and the wipers just stopped. They had been working fine without any issues. I have checked the fuses, they are all fine. I replace the stalk and it was fine. Turn signal, brights all work. Wipers will not work in any position. I not certain what to do next. Live in Florida and rainy season is approaching.

Any info that could help?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 PM

c 200 automatic elegance1998
On Utube is an excellant video on windshield repair and assembly , He goes under the name Fupabox . He has a load of other stuff on mercedes repair , Hope this helps
Old 12-30-2015, 04:33 PM

S class 2011
Wiper problem

hi
My car s class 2011
When its raining atmosphere the slow and rapid rain sensor is switched on the wiper runs once then stop , i checked the wind shield sensor and replased it but still the same problem
My fruend told me that it may be the front SAM unit fuse problem or something like that
Can you tell me the solution please, thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 PM

Ford F150
Nut Keeps Falling Off

I have a friend whose arm was sticking then stopped. Pulled the assembly apart and the arm attachment nut had fallen off. We put the nut back on and it worked for a day then fell off again. Attached nut again except this time used some lock tight...nut fell off within hours. Ideas on repair?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM

2009 CLK 550 AMG Cabriolet
Use a lock washer under the nut.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 AM

2004 Spyder
C230 Mercedes Benz Wiper won't work

[QUOTE=Pipe;4147088]Im looking at this sctaching my head but i dont have this problem mine just wont turn on

Pipe.
Three simple steps.
1, check fuse, If its good go step 2.
2, unscrew all 6 screws around the fuse box and remove entire cover off you will see 2 yellow relays, the on your left it's the Hight and the right it's the Low.
3, Key turn to acc, then go to the relay box one hand touch the relay the other turn the wiper switch to low then high. If you able to feel it's all click. Buy a new motor. The link show wiper relays location. Let me know if these steps work.
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...fuserelay2.jpg

Last edited by Hong T Nguyen; 04-01-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 55 AMG
Dear guys,
I am helping a friend who purchased my 1999 C280. Upon removing her wiper assembly-everything seems fine except that at the yellow arrow the rotating part from the motor is freewheeling and is not turning the linkage assembly. She purchased a new linkage assembly-and the problem remains. I have tightened the nut as much as I can at the yellow arrow and the problem remains. Does someone know if where the linkage grabs the motor bolt has a smooth finish, or a does it have teeth on it for the motor to grab it so it can turn?

Video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9qB...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by tannat; 12-20-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
1999 C230K
Sorry to be so later in replying but I'm replacing my wiper motor right now. It looks like the PO or someone had done it before and screwed it up. Yes, both the linkage and the motor shaft have small teeth that match each other and provide a tight grip. The linkage should be turning with the shaft. I don't know what to tell you. Those pieces aren't cheap for new ones. You might be able to do a 'redneck repair.' That is, to wrap the shaft in a layer or so of aluminum foil and then reattach the linkage. The soft aluminum can fill in gaps between the pieces when tightened. But if your parts are worn too smooth, with no teeth at all, there's a pretty good chance it won't work
Old 02-25-2019, 11:04 AM

C230K
Wiper transmission

hi,
my first post so please be gentle,

My first problem is I can't open attachments B, but the real problem I'm having is not being able to remove the nylon gear to replace. My wiper does not retract in so it hits the side windshield pillar, I assume it's the nylon gear but it doesn't look chewed up?
any advise would be appreciated,
thanks to everyone for all your time

Doesn't look chewed up?

Does this require a special tool?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:38 PM

W202 & R129
Originally Posted by Davenport
hi,
my first post so please be gentle,

My first problem is I can't open attachments B, but the real problem I'm having is not being able to remove the nylon gear to replace. My wiper does not retract in so it hits the side windshield pillar, I assume it's the nylon gear but it doesn't look chewed up?
any advise would be appreciated,
thanks to everyone for all your time

Doesn't look chewed up?

Does this require a special tool?

im having the same problem. The gear is not fixed to the shaft. So the gear move no actioning the arm in and out.

How can I fix it ? Thanks.