C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

trunk release problem

Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
trunk release problem

This just happened today. The light in the trunk switch is always on, and I can't open the trunk with this switch or the remote key. I can however open the trunk with the blade key. I did a search here and only saw one person had the same problem, but no solution was posted. Does anyone know how to reset this light or know a solution to this problem?

Damn it! I'm spending way too much time trying to fix all these little here and there problems. Just got this car a few weeks ago, and new problems began to surface: rough idling during cold start, AC slow leak, radio LCD screen burnt out, fuel gauage not working, the clock LCD is burnt out, and now the trunk release. I wish the Germans could have learned some tricks from the Japanese on electrical stuff.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W202 C280 94
1st, your car is probably American built, next try pulling trip switch on boot lid out 1 click,
if your door locks are working its probably a vacuum leak inside the boot lid,
Old 07-04-2009, 02:19 AM

2004 E500 CLK320
Originally Posted by MrSmith@kol
1st, your car is probably American built, next try pulling trip switch on boot lid out 1 click,
if your door locks are working its probably a vacuum leak inside the boot lid,
MrSmith, It took me a while to figure out what a "boot" (trunk) is. I've never heard this term being used in the States. I pulled out the mechanical trip switch on the trunk lid, i even disconnected the wires on the trip switch, and the light on the trunk switch (on the center console) is still on. The door locks are working fine, how do I check for vacuum leak and what does vacuum has anything to do with electrical switches?
When the doors are locked, and after about ~15 minutes, the light in the trunk switch goes off, then I can remotely open the trunk as often as I want. But when the doors are unlocked, the light in the trunk switch never goes off, and I can no longer open the trunk remotely.
Thanks for the feedback, any input is appreciated. I'm still clueless.

Last edited by SZMB; 07-04-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:13 AM

W202 C280 94
Hi, Sorry, was too sleepy when I sent that last reply.
I'm assuming now that it is a 98 C280?
Seems it has the same system as a W210 E class,
This is what I have about the system your car should have,

Remote trunk release is pneumatic controlled system. Remote trunk release can only be operated when vehicle is unlocked. Pneumatic system equipment (PSE) control module receives signal from remote trunk release switch through CAN data lines.
If Trunk is opened with remote transmitter, PSE control module receives signal from electronic ignition lock control module through CAN data lines. The electronic ignition lock control module receives signal from either door control modules or roof control panel control module.

you have a transmitter that releases the trunk,
you may need to run a scan to see if Fault codes are stored for the PSE module.
Also maybe check the actuator in the trunk lid.
Can show you schematics etc if you're planning to take a look

Last edited by MrSmith@kol; 07-07-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 PM

2004 E500 CLK320
Mrsmith, thanks for the offer. That'll be great if you can send me the schematic.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:56 AM

2004 E500 CLK320
If it's operated by a cable, the cable is not broken. I couldn't find the cable; if there's one, it's probably sealed inside the trunk lid. Every once a while, when the trunk release sensor light (on the center console) goes off, i can release the trunk remotely. There's something wrong with the trunk release sensor or door lock sensor. I found the vacuum/actuator system just above the battery in the trunk, every time when the door lock or trunk release button (when the light sensor is off) is pressed, i can hear this vacuum system is activated.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:26 AM

W202 C280 94
Originally Posted by allangering
The trunk release is mechanical, not electric. Probable cause of it not working is that the cable to the trunk latch has broken and needs to be replaced. If you want instructions, post, and I'll give them. They're in the Haynes repair manual.
How come you drive a Honda?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 PM

2004 E500 CLK320
Thanks MrSmith for sending over the diagrams. I open the trunk and located the PSE control module (a vacuum system I believe) just above the battery, and played around with the vacuum hoses, just making sure all connections were tight. After doing that, for whatever reason, the trunk can now be open remotely at any given time. Maybe it was just a loose vacuum hose. Thanks all for the help.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 AM

2002 mercedez benz
The lights on the alarm system go off when the door is open, but it will not sound off the alarm??

2002 C320