C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Keyless entry and other power lock issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Keyless entry and other power lock issues

I recently bought a 97 C230 and was wondering if you guys could give my any ideas regarding the keyless entry and power lock issues I have with it.

1. The car came with two remotes, but neither one worked. I changed batteries on both and now it seems that at least the other one is sending signal (according to the tester @ AutoZone), but still there is no movement on the locks. Also, the red and green LEDs do not light up at any point.

As I don't have Owner's Manual, I tried synchronizing the working remote according to instructions I found by Googling (press the remote three times, insert key to ignition and turn it to position 2; all within 5 seconds), but still nothing.

I'm thinking it might be something electrical. I didn't see a separate fuse for the system in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Is there another one somewhere else?

2. The power locks work when pressing the button on the dash, but not from the passenger door. If I insert the key to the passenger door and turn, that door will open, but none of the others. Also, I can not lock that door by turning the key in the lock.

On one hand I'm thinking it's vacuum related issue, but on the other hand I'm thinking about electrical issues. Vacuum is probably working as the locks work from the button on the dash and also the rear headrest release works.

Any and all tips, ideas etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 PM

Found out a couple of days ago that all locks will open if I use the trunk lock. Locking does not work, though.

Got an owners manual and tried synchronizing according to the instructions found there, but still nothing. Still no life in the LED's.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLC200 (X253) 1995 mb W202 C220, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, 2014 Ford Mustang 5.0
you didn't say if the car runs. in case it does, here is my input:

1. The car came with two remotes, but neither one worked. I changed batteries on both and now it seems that at least the other one is sending signal (according to the tester @ AutoZone), but still there is no movement on the locks. Also, the red and green LEDs do not light up at any point. - probably bad remote trigger. try bringing it to a more qualified technician,

As I don't have Owner's Manual, I tried synchronizing the working remote according to instructions I found by Googling (press the remote three times, insert key to ignition and turn it to position 2; all within 5 seconds), but still nothing. - i tried that a thousand times with mine and a thousand and one times - IT DIDN'T DO SQUAT. forget about it. again, refer to a qualified techinician,

I'm thinking it might be something electrical. I didn't see a separate fuse for the system in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Is there another one somewhere else? - if the car doesn't run. a bad immobiliser unit. immobilser is located on the kick pan under carpet in the passenger side,

2. The power locks work when pressing the button on the dash, but not from the passenger door. - check connections underneath the sidings. If I insert the key to the passenger door and turn, that door will open, but none of the others. - it's only an override to gain access inside the car, it's not centralized. Also, I can not lock that door by turning the key in the lock. - in theory, door should lock but not all doors, since it's not centralized,

good luck dude.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by maksi
you didn't say if the car runs. in case it does, here is my input:

probably bad remote trigger. try bringing it to a more qualified technician,

i tried that a thousand times with mine and a thousand and one times - IT DIDN'T DO SQUAT. forget about it. again, refer to a qualified techinician,

if the car doesn't run. a bad immobiliser unit. immobilser is located on the kick pan under carpet in the passenger side,

check connections underneath the sidings.

it's only an override to gain access inside the car, it's not centralized.

in theory, door should lock but not all doors, since it's not centralized,

good luck dude.
Thanks for the comments.

Here's some additional info:

1. Car runs and drives great, so no issues with the immobilizer.
2. Bad remote trigger? In the remote or somewhere in the car?
3. Bought an Owners Manual and tried directions from there to synchronize. No luck.
4. According to the manual, also the passenger door should lock/unlock the whole car. Just like the trunk.
5. Found out the other day that I can unlock all doors from the trunk lock.

So... I guess I have isolated my problem to maybe two things:

1. IR receiver in the car is not working. Is there a module/brain unit or what ever it might be called somewhere I should maybe swap out?
2. Something wrong with the door actuators so that they are not locking the doors. Or is there a power door lock computer module somewhere that could be partially bad?

Damn, I hate electrical bugs...
Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLC200 (X253) 1995 mb W202 C220, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, 2014 Ford Mustang 5.0
bad remote trigger - if you said that you had the remote checked out it works fine, the IR receiver located inside the rear view mirror might be culprit,

Bought an Owners Manual and tried directions from there to synchronize. No luck. - was wondering where you got that?

According to the manual, also the passenger door should lock/unlock the whole car. Just like the trunk. - maybe it works on your model. mine doesn't open all doors, only functions as an access to the car,

Found out the other day that I can unlock all doors from the trunk lock. - how?

thanks and goodluck.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 PM

bad remote trigger - if you said that you had the remote checked out it works fine, the IR receiver located inside the rear view mirror might be culprit,
I guess I'll need to look into maybe getting another mirror.

Bought an Owners Manual and tried directions from there to synchronize. No luck. - was wondering where you got that?
The Owners Manual? Got a set of all books and the leatherette portfolio for a 97 from Ebay.

According to the manual, also the passenger door should lock/unlock the whole car. Just like the trunk. - maybe it works on your model. mine doesn't open all doors, only functions as an access to the car,
Yup, that's what the manual says. I would imagine, though, that it's the same for all models with power locks.

Found out the other day that I can unlock all doors from the trunk lock. - how?
Turn the key to the left to unlock and to the right to lock. Mine only unlocks, though.

goodluck.
Thanks! I definitely need that...
Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM

2012 CL550, 2006 SL500, 2002 E320, 2002 CLK430
No Green or Red LED on remote or mirror

My 1997 C280 lock/unlock on both remotes failed. Found this Thread and was disappointed no updates in regard to resolution. Replaced battery's and mirror with no change.

I have enjoyed this site for a few years. Find all types of knowledge and from time to time a smile when I fix a issue with the W202 and W215.

What I have found from this is I need to check the module. We can only use trunk and passenger door key hole to lock/unlock.

Bruce
Old 06-27-2016, 05:23 PM

2012 CL550, 2006 SL500, 2002 E320, 2002 CLK430
Appears replace module is the answe. My post on this subject is closed in my mind. I enjoy reading all this knowledge and will go back to read only mode.
The following users liked this post:
bottlecap (02-13-2022)