C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Replace quarter glass on C230, anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replace quarter glass on C230, anyone done it?

Hi all, this is my first post.

Someone unfortunately broke into my car last week via the little rear quarter window on the left side. I bought the window and am intending on putting it in myself. Has anyone done this before to advise? I just got this car, a W202 97 C230 and this is my first time getting my elbows dirty.

First problem is getting the door panel off, I looked for obvious clues but only found two under the door handle. Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

AM

p.s. By the way, the window was $37, labor to put it in, $300, total with parts and labor, dealer style, $400.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:17 PM

1996 C220 (W202) and E320 (w210)
there are in total only three phillips screws that secure the panel in place. the first one is the screw which is on the plastic cover of the door lock, another one under the door handle and one big one under the inside opening handle (you have to take out the plastic cover by pulling it out), then you just separate the door panel towards you, starting from the bottom and you will unclip a lot of clips that hold the panel onto the chassis. then you have to pull the whole panel up until it unclips from 5 metal clips which are just below the window. thats it. panel out.
now the little window, you will need to buy some sort of silicon to stick the window to the frame and you will need (i think) about a day so that it dries up....
Old 05-07-2003, 03:19 PM

1996 C220 (W202) and E320 (w210)
BTW. welcome
Old 05-08-2003, 10:53 PM

Thanks Merclover, I just replaced the windows with absolutely no problems. You were dead on with the details, down to the metal clips.

The window does not require silicone, it just sits in a rubber seal. I cleaned out the old pieces of glass and put the new one on. The post that separates the quarter glass from the one that goes up and down is attached at the bottom and at the top with screws. All you have to do is pull out the weather stripping and you have access to the screws. Removing the post allows the new glass to slip right in. The whole job takes about 45 minutes. They were charging me 3 hours labor at the dealer at +100 dollars an hour.

Thanks for the tremendous savings, it takes away the stinger of having my car broken into when it just cost me under 40 bucks.

Also, I noticed that these cars are designed extremely well. Only MB could make such a good piece of work. Impressive engineering, I think I am sold on MBs for life.

Thanks again.

AM