C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Starter engine randomly not working, '94 C220D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W202 C220 Elegance 94'
Starter engine randomly not working, '94 C220D

Good evening everyone!

I'm having a 'smal' problem with my 202.
Sometimes, like once a month, the starter engine refuses to start. I turn the key to start the engine but nothing happens. Usually after 5 min or so I try again and it starts the starter engine, and the engine fires on nicely! The thing is, today it took 3h for it to start, and in the mean time I disassembled the driver's footwell searching for the infamous K38 relay that everyone talks about and relates it to this problem. I didn't find it, but eventually the car started.

As you all might know, these cars are equiped with a small anti-theft feature (even if you dont have the factory optional alarm instaled, which is the case here) that if all the doors are locked and the car is manually opened from the inside from the door's handle, the starter engine wont work, because if you have a locked car and you open it from the inside it may mean that someone broke the window and got in to steal it. And for some reason I think that this system is the one malfunctioning and making my car not start from time to time.

So, i'd appreciate if any of you could tell me where this safety system is located (maybe inside the vaccum pump in the trunk) and if any of you who had the problem, how did you guys fixed it?

Thank you!