C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Newbie needs help with haywire electrics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 CDI 1999 W202
Question Newbie needs help with haywire electrics!

Hi everybody,

I've just bought myself a 1999 c220 cdi (V plate). It has various niggles that I am working my way through. I have fixed the blower motor and headlightthat was smokey and thought I was making progress. I decided to wash the car for the first time ( hose and bucket job). Afterwards the car started fine and I drove home, only to realize I had no wipers or indicators/hazards.

I parked up for the night and had issues removing the key ie the dash stayed illuminated and the key was out. It then wouldn't start. In my wisdom I disconnected the battery and closed the doors with the metal key. I called the AA the next day and to my horror the metal key wouldn't open the boot. I entered the boot to connect the battery ( cut a small hole in the rear seat panel). The AA man then got to work.

The car is starting fine and running well but it has developed electrical problems. The wipers and hazards don't work or indicators. The AA noticed the wet passenger footwell. I since remember that Mercs had issues with the scuttle drain (now cleared).

I checked all the fuses and jiggled the relays and wiper cable etc. later that day all seemed good and everything was working.

The issues have now reappeared. Sometimes the wipers are ok and the left indicator works and the hazards to a degree. Now the drivers side indicator lamps either turn on and off at intervals or are constantly on. I have had to pull one of the fuses to turn it off; meaning they all are off. The wiper also is off now possibly all on the same circuit?

The only area that appeared to have any water ingress was the passenger well but only at floor level (the unit behind the metal kick plate was dry).

He had an issue where you had to touch the brake to start it and you could remove the key and the engine was still running and you had to touch the brake to turn it off. This issue has gone away totally now and the key is fine.

The AA suggested that it could all be linked to a single earth or wiring glitch but it only happened directly after washing the car.

I was thinking do the relays in the fusebox area have any control on these items or a stalk problem ( I have had no joy in identifying the relay usages). There is no N10 relay on this model as far as I can tell. Halfrauds do the two yellow relays and wondered if I should change them anyway??

Sorry to be long winded but I wanted to give as much detail as possible.
Hopefully this will go into the correct section!

Any help would be gratefully received as I want to start getting her into shape

ps the horn will not work now. It didn't work after washing the car but did work later the next day now it's off.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 CDI 1999 W202
It gets worse!!!!

To make things worse, I have just heard my car making a screaming noise which I think is a low drained battery. When I went to look in the pitch black the rear door wasn't completely closed and the seat was slightly damp from the rain ; only just inside the door opening.

I had to reach through to the boot via the hole I cut and disconnect the battery earth. Not easy to reach especially when the 10mm spanner was at the back of the boot!!

Am I correct that I could re-connect the battery and using another car connect a jump lead from the donor car to the live point in the engine bay (small black flip box with two heavy black cables) then connect the earth from the donor car to the engine hook or earth point and this would give me enough power to use my key (or the switch) to open the boot? I could then jump start the car from the boot end; or could I jump it using the engine bay point?

Help!! Why do these things always happen at night in the rain!!