C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Remote Key Fob - Poor (short) distance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Remote Key Fob - Poor (short) distance

Howdy all,

I just purchased a very nice, ultra-low mileage 2000 C230 Kompressor sedan and have found a quirk in the remote unlocking and locking system...

The problem is that I have to be within 15-20 feet of the car in order for the locking and unlocking functions to work.

Some background info:
This was a "little old lady" car that sat in the garage most of it's life. It was well maintained by the local Benz dealer in her town. The cars has approximately 17,000 and is in outstanding condition. The car's battery as well as the batteries in the remote controls have been changed recently (within the past month).

Here's a really odd bit.... I went to my local dealer to ask some questions and the parts guy (who was the most helpful) suggested I try this: When locking or unlocking using the remote, he suggested I try pressing the appropriate button while holding the tip of the key fob (the end that is normally pointed at the car) up under my chin, touching the tip to my jaw bone. He said that he has a truck that had this problem and that when he did this it extended the range.

Well, sure enough, I tried it and, sure enough, it worked (i.e. my range was better in that I could be standing further away from the car - but still not what it should be. Or maybe that's just the nature of this car's system...?

By the way, I've tried pointing the remote directly at the door handles and elsewhere on the car and that doesn't seem to alter the outcome - I still have to be around 20 feet (or less) from the car to get the doors to unlock and lock with the remote.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
Just for the heck of it, I stepped off the distance to see how close I needed to be to get the remote to work. Seems to me, your a lot better off than I am, as I need to be about half the distance to get it to work.
I have now ruled out using my car for a bank robbery due to the activation distance :-)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Originally Posted by ptcruiser
Just for the heck of it, I stepped off the distance to see how close I needed to be to get the remote to work. Seems to me, your a lot better off than I am, as I need to be about half the distance to get it to work.
I have now ruled out using my car for a bank robbery due to the activation distance :-)

Hey Cruiser,

Thanks for the input. I've been wanting to hear other W202 owners' experiences with the remote keyless entry. I guess, from what you're saying, that what I'm experiencing is "the norm". So maybe I'll just check this off my "gotta figure it out" list.

Thanks again.

No bank robbery this weekend?!? Bummer.