C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Boot/trunk will not open and no battery connected

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:30 AM
kk2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 w202
Boot/trunk will not open and no battery connected

Hi Guys,

My merc is a 1997 C200 w202

I have been reading the forum for an answer but have yet to find a solution to my problem. And apologies if the subject has been covered numerous times.

I had a dead battery and did the suggested thing and opened the boot using the 12v terminal posts in the engine. I then kept my boot open and went off to get a new battery. I then accidently closed the boot with new battery in it (it is actually broken and does not have any dampeneing mechanism on it). So I have a car with no battery connected.

I tried again to run some charge from the terminals in the engine and this does not work. How can this work if the circuit is broken i.e. no battery connected dead or otherwise)?

I took the rear seats off but this model has a metal plate behind the seats, so no access.

I tried lubricating the boot lock and using the manual key, no access?

One way I see it is to remove the rear shelf trim and cut the metal shelf below it with enough room so I can get to the boot. Would this be a major structural concern?

The car is not worth that much so not economical to go to MB or an auto locksmithe.

Any further suggestions would be a real help?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
Removing and cutting the rear package shelf will still not give you access. Why doesn't the Valet key work? It should?
Due to key design, I am not sure is a Lock Smith can do the job, but it would seem you will need a "house call" to find out.
Looks like you have a problem, so good luck
Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 AM
kk2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 w202
Hi,

I have just been given a suggestion that looks like the answer. I can go through the backseat and cut the moulding where the rear armrest sits on the metal plate behind the rear site. There should be enough room to get to my battery from there.

I do have two keys and have tried both valet and or master. I think that the first and previous owner may have had the lock changed or it has just broken as it seems many do for this model.

Thanks for the reply.