C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C200 - new battery but won't start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 W202 1998
C200 - new battery but won't start up

Hi all,

I have been having a nightmare with my 1998 C200 W202 Elegance.

I went on holiday for 3 weeks and when I came back it would not start.

The remote key would not open so I used the manual one to get in via the drivers door. I cannot get the manual key to open the trunk though as the key will not turn so I could not get in the bonnet to the battery. After reading on forums I learnt about the jump point under the bonnet. I connected up the jump leads to another car and was then able to open the trunk using the button inside the car. I then jump started the car as I could access the battery in the trunk. I drove the car for 30 mins, came home, turned it off but it would no start again on its. So I thought it must be a duff battery.

I bought a new battery today to install and and tried to get the trunk open using the same method as before but this time it would not open! Great!

So I folded the back seats down and climbed into the trunk and was able to replace the battery that way - with great difficulty I might add.
Note - I left the other car connected up via the jump point under the bonnet during the battery replacement in order to keep power to the car to avoid stuff getting reset.

So, the new battery is in but...

1. Most annoyingly the car still does not start! When I try, all the lights on the dash light up but nothing happens.
2. The remote key fob will not open the doors. The side lights flash on the car so it seems to be receiving a signal.
3. The button to lock/unlock on the dash does not work.
4. The trunk still does not open either with the button on the remote key fob or using the button near the cup holder.

There does seem to be power from the new battery as the radio, windows and lights all work fine now but didn't before.

I really don't know what to do now? The car started up fine when I jumped it but now with a brand new battery it doesn't?

The central locking system seems dead now too, even though it was fine the other day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
You may having an Electrical issues, prefer to diagnose the car to see what kind of codes will show-up, it will helps more for time & $$$...!!

ZAYED,,